Acura Legend Forum banner

Companion for the Coupe: GS 6-speed!

9K views 65 replies 45 participants last post by  TYPEII 
#1 ·
I just had the best vehicle purchase experience ever on perhaps the best car I've purchased ;). Just added a 1994 GS 6-speed to the garage. I recently finished up my degree, landed a decent job, and I had been casually browsing for a fun new toy - either an 88-91 Prelude Si 4WS or a Legend GS 6MT. I came across this GS FS here on the forums on Saturday night.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96540

Within ten minutes of the ad going live, I emailed the seller and we talked on the phone. I had a good feeling about it and booked a flight to Orange County, CA that night.

I was pretty excited about it; couldn't really sleep much that night. Ran into a snag with regard to coming up with cash since the banks and credit unions were closed today (Monday) for MLK day. I had already booked my flight and was determined to make the transaction work somehow. We settled on using PayPal with the understanding that I'd cover the fees. Fees ended up being exactly $100, so I am into the car $4,100 plus a $112 airfare to SoCal.

That brings us to today. I had a seminar this morning. It dragged on FOREVER because I was so anxious to get on my way to California. I showed up at the airport a full three hours early! The flight went smoothly (arrived a little early even) and I called Simon, the car's owner, when I was on the ground. Waiting at the curb, I eyeballed the road for those familiar Legend headlights, and sure enough, I spotted the car from far, far away. He flashed the highbeams to acknowledge that he saw me too, and I waved. I hope he didn't see the giant cheesy grin on my face, lol.

The second the car pulled up, I knew I was sold. It looked even minter than in the high-resolution pictures Simon had sent - which were incredible. We pulled into a well-lit parking lot and I gave the car a once-over with a flashlight. I could detect one small ding. The body is perfect! Then it was my turn to drive and I enjoyed every mile. The GS is so much like my coupe, just with a little more room. We ended up in Fullerton at Simon's house and took care of paperwork there.

It is striking how similar the purchase experience was with this GS and with my LS coupe. The coupe I purchased from the original owner, a woman, who provided all maintenance records. The GS I purchased from the original owner's (a woman also) son, who had most maintenance records - dating back to 50,000 miles or so. I flew to San Jose, CA to pick up the LS just five days before starting work at SkyWest Airlines in 2003. I flew to Santa Ana, CA to pick up the GS just seven days before starting work at US Airways (next Monday). Sucks that I wasn't able to use flight benefits for picking up for either car!

The car itself is beyond beautiful. I can say without any exaggeration whatsoever that the interior and exterior of this car could easily pass for a 65-70k mile vehicle. The driver's seat is so amazing that it looked better than the 1993 sedan I recently drove with 37k on the odometer. And the other three seats don't look like they've been breathed on, let alone sat in! Exterior is a similar story. The GS rims are devoid of any curb rash and the pearl paint is all original. The Carfax on this car is as clean as they come - southern California born and raised, and not an ounce of rust on the car anywhere.

As is expected, I had to ask Simon how it is that his mother came to purchase a new 1994 Legend 6-speed. She was ready to upgrade from her Maxima to a newer model, but was unsatisfied with the Nissan dealer's service. She knew she wanted a four-door luxury car with a manual transmission. Everyone told her, "You'll have to get a BMW then." She refused because of the cost of maintenance on a BMW. Then she found out that the Legend was offered in a four-door manual. She test-drove a coupe at the local dealer, and told them, "I want this car but with four doors." About a month later, her Sirius White Pearl GS sedan was delivered and she took ownership with 34 miles on the odometer. At the time, she had a 40-mile (each way) daily commute on the highway and that's how the miles got racked up - as well as yearly trips to Oregon.

I got the traditional "key hand-off" picture and went on my way, a happy and excited new Legend GS owner. The drive from LA-PHX was about 350 miles or so, and it went way too fast!

I didn't just drive away with a Legend GS tonight, I drove away with: car cover, OEM bra, OEM service manuals (cost $130!), as well as the accessories the car was loaded with - keyless, spoiler, CD changer. Most of you know how obsessive I am about recordkeeping and car history, so I made sure to get my hands on every single receipt and piece of paper that Simon was willing to give up. He even gave me a CD with a spreadsheet on the Legend's historical and upcoming maintenance. Sounds familiar! I do the same thing with my coupe.

The GS will be a garage queen for the time being. It is probably going to southern Utah for storage in my brother's house until I have time to take care of registration and other logistics. The coupe's still parked in long-term parking at the Phoenix airport, and I'm thinking of leaving it there a couple more days just so I have an excuse to put some miles on the GS :).

This car will never be modified. It would be a sin to change anything on a car this nice and original.

PICS! Nighttime, so good shots will have to come later in the week.

My boarding pass

My tradition! Key handoff pic

Miles when I took delivery

Mint console - no cracks

Also crack-free dash

OEM bra and cover in trunk

Manuals

I think I am in heaven!! RECEIPTS! Second timing belt already changed, all coolant hoses replaced, this car is good to go!

Window sticker

Amazing 207,000 mile front seat. How is this possible?!

Like I said, the backseat is brand new

Gassing up in Palm Springs, CA on the way home. Dude in the truck next door was wondering what the crap I was doing, lol

Fun shots from the drive home. I love this RV park ;).

Home in my driveway

Proud new member of the G2 sedan family! The LS coupe has 270k so I'm dang near a half million miles with the two cars combined.

:woot:

Tyson

See less See more
#4 ·
Holly shit Tylson you have two 6 spd now huh. and they both over 200k miles. the leather seat look ver good to me at that milage. The owner keep it very well. Well I can't find a car with that good condition at that milage because the body most likely to be rust out. so the 4 dr is for family and the coupe for your self huh? nice nice nice.

#6 ·
you have two 6 spd now huh.
I know! Pretty cool. I was racking my brain last night on the drive home, trying to think of someone else who has both a sedan and coupe 6-speed. I couldn't think of anyone; maybe I'm the first? lol Both cars have very high miles but have been maintained 110%, both mechanically and cosmetically.

It almost feels like a dream -- the story's too good to be true. I thought of one other thing that Simon shared with me last night. He, and his mother before him, have only used Chevron 91 octane (preferred) or other comparable high-quality gas in the car.

Two hours of sleep later, and I have to run back to the seminar now. But last night was worth it :)

#5 ·
Nice addition!

#9 ·
omg this is BEUATIFUL!
btw how many legend have you owned????? i think you need to start a thread just on that

#23 ·
Thanks all you guys!!

btw how many legend have you owned????? i think you need to start a thread just on that
Actually I've had the coupe almost four years now. Have gone through a couple of G1's in the meantime, as well as the '91 coupe, a '94 GS auto (BHG), and now I picked up this. Honestly, I'm going to hang onto this one for awhile.

Is that a scratch in the woodgrain underneath the shifter boot? What are your plans with the faulty ABS system? That's a great deal for that mint GS Legend.
I know; it was a killer deal and that's why I pulled the trigger so fast on making it happen. I don't think that's a scratch on the woodgrain, but I'll have to go take a look to be sure. It was nighttime when I got the car and drove home. No immediate plans to address the ABS light issue, since the regular brakes are fully functional at this time. I will be putting new pads on it fairly soon.

Congratualations Ty. Nice write-up. Now pick up the coupe and get some pics together!
I just got back from getting the coupe from the airport. What a change to go from one to the other!! They are the same car, yet they're not. It's hard to describe. One thing is for sure -- my coupe's clutch pedal is a LOT harder to push down than the sedan's. I got in there and I was like, wtf! What's the matter with my car?! lol, but then I got used to it again.

Beautiful! Absolutely Beautiful! Makes me wish I was staying overnight tomorrow instead of just flying back :(Wait - which one are you bringing to the meet in Vegas?!?!?!?!
Pics of the two cars together are coming shortly. This is the best I can do right now with the camera phone! I think the coupe is going to Vegas.

Absolutely awesome, two 6 speeds. Which car do you plan to come East in?
The coupe is going to be my daily driver at least until I roll into the 300k's -- probably within 8-10 months.

WOW, nice score. Ok so, Pheonix Airport parking garage, which level?? Is the alarm disabled, any info is appreciated...j/k I would never...or would I?
Too late bro ;). I was a bit paranoid about leaving it too long there, so it's back in my possession.

awesome looking sedan tyson. Looks close to another 6spd i know of. Twins maybe?
Twins indeed!

what are your plans for it and of course....which one you bringing to the meet!!!!!!!
Like I was saying, probably not going to do much modding if any at all.

which legend are you going to drive to NOPI next year???
Coupe FTW!

#17 ·
holy shit...i hear about this 1-2 days ago and he already has it!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome find man. what are your plans for it and of course....which one you bringing to the meet!!!!!!!

#20 ·
This car will never be modified. It would be a sin to change anything on a car this nice and original.
Dibbs on the EDM corners! Tyson I was on line when he posted the car for sale. Started to put a move on it but thought better knowing I'd only delay the final destination. Sure wish I could have got a look see before it left Cali. Congrats!

One...

Fut :2cool:

#38 ·
I'm telling you, you are living the dream...
Thx Sergio! I'd trade both my 6-speeds for yours :)

He drove like 4 Legend with 6spd now.
I've driven way more 6-speed Legends than that. But of GS 6-speeds, I've driven Lady6spd, EZGoinLegend, GrtOutdoorsAZ, and now mine.

I'm looking forward to more pics......and some with the coupe and sedan together.
I'll get right on it. Here are a couple while they were on campus together today.

....So now that you have two 6spd Legends, want to trade your coupe for my auto coupe?
It's tempting! But nah :)

wbe prepared to become a sedan lover!
I already am! Seriously, right now I'm thinking sedan > coupe and I never thought I'd say that. The added headroom, more ample door panel armrest, and sweet taillights at nighttime really sold me on the car. I am also enjoying the sedan so much more because it has functional steering wheel volume controls and functional heated seats! But no auto door closers :(.

Guess which Legend got the boot out of the garage tonight!

#27 ·
Whoa! Great pickup, Tyson. I think you may now have the most "cumulative" miles on Legends on the forum :giggle: . The interior is beautiful and you don't have the dreaded crack beneath the left center air vent that many, including myself, seem to get. All the luck, man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.