Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OG Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I dissable or make the programs to stop automatically turning on (ex. AIM, realplayer, etc in the right handside task bar) I ask this because it takes a long time for my computer to load up and with all these programs going off at once it makes my computer really slllllooooowww.
Thanks

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
In most programs you have to disable that option in the program itself. sometimes (on older versions of windows) you can hit the start button, then programs, then startup. There you will see some programs that start up with windows - if you don't want them to start with windows then delete them from the startup section.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
You can also right click on the icon in the task bar. A menu should pop up. Select properties, setting, auto start, or anything like that. In there you should find an option to open on start-up. You want to make sure there is no check next to that. On some programs you can right click and click close. It will ask you if you want this program to open automatically when windows starts. Just say no. Either on of these should work. Deleting the files from you start up folder, under start - programs, should work as well. Good luck!
Later!
Lee

PS = A right click is clicking the right button on your mouse instead of the left one. As long as you havn't changed your mouse properties this should still work.

·
I like shiny
14,385 Posts
Some of the things that the others said will work, but not always. Not everything is in the startup menu, not all of it can be right clicked and disabled. I believe the method I am about to tell you works on windows 98 and newer (don't know XP)

1.Start

2. Run

3. msconfig

4. Click the startup tab

5. Look through the files and uncheck what you don't want to startup.

Hope this helps

**Be careful, tell the wrong file not to start and you will mess things up**

Most of the time you can go back in and put the check back though. :)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
91LSMAN said:
Some of the things that the others said will work, but not always. Not everything is in the startup menu, not all of it can be right clicked and disabled. I believe the method I am about to tell you works on windows 98 and newer (don't know XP)

1.Start

2. Run

3. msconfig

4. Click the startup tab

5. Look through the files and uncheck what you don't want to startup.

Hope this helps

**Be careful, tell the wrong file not to start and you will mess things up**

Most of the time you can go back in and put the check back though. :)
accutally it's:
1.Start

2. Run

3. msinfo32

4. Click on to............. wait,91LSMAN, yours is a shorter way. NEVERMIND!!!!! :D

G

·
If you try doing what 91LSMAN said though in WinXP you may run into some problems. For some reason WinXP doesn't like programs to be disabled to startup that way so it will keep booting into safe mode even if you uncheck that option. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't :p (it's microsoft)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.