Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer just took a s**t. The motherboard quit recognizing hard drives. When you try to boot up it says detecting hard drives and then comes back with none. Not only that, I think both of my 61.5G Deskstar IBM altra ata 100 hard drives quit working too. I tried them in an external case and plugged them into my laptop. I then tried to format them. I could not do so, it came back with a message of not usable. The only good thing is that my Abit KT7A motherboard is still under warranty and so are the two hard drives. I just can't believe that everything worked fine for a couple of months and then all of a sudden the motherboard and harddrives all quit at once. I have this computer going through 3 surge protectors so it couldn't have gotten zapped. This just is not my day. Next thing you know something is going to go wrong with my gs legend (knock on wood). Now I have to go throught the hassle of sending everything back and playing the waiting game. I guess I will have a completely new computer when I am done thou.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It sounds like your hard drives took a dump, not the motherboard. If a hard drive goes bad, the motherboard isn't going to detect it. And it sounds like that's the case becuase you stuck your hard drives in another pc, and they didn't work there either. By the way, just becuase your pc is connected to a surge protector (or 10) doesn't mean it's completely isolated from power problems. If power is a concern of yours, your best bet is to either get a battery backup or a line conditioner.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, but I put a know good hard drive in the computer and the motherboard still would not detect it. I am just glad that everything is still under warranty. I thought just the hard drives were bad until I put the other one in and it would not detect that one either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would sell the harddrives, but they are still under warranty. They cost me 260.00 for the two of them and I can't take the hit. Ibm is sending me an rma for return and replacement of the two. My motherboard is still underwarranty too unitl aug of 2003 and will be sent back also. I purchased a new motherboard in the mean time (Abit KT7A Raid) and will build a second computer with my Abit KT7A when it is returned too me from Abit. Things just can't get any worse. The bad thing is that all this has to happen while I am trying to get moved into my new house. The nice thing is that I can still log onto the internet with my laptop and do things like cruise this site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.