Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If u drive w/a cracked rad would u carck a head gasket even if the needle doesn't go up to hot? Is it possible for the rad to pull in air? I know there pressure in the rad, so i would think that it only pushes coolant out. What do u guys think? Thanks.

Latin............................

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:mad: u guys suck! LMAO! :D

Latin......................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I drove around for about a month before I discovered the cause of the overheating to be a cracked radiatior. I would not recommend it because you will constantly have to watch the temp gague and make sure you keep adding water to it, otherwise the crack will let all the coolant boil away. Worst case senerio is that you are somewhere where you can't turn the car off right away when it is overheating. Now instead of being out $300 for a new radiator you are out $2000 for a cracked/warped head and a blown gasket. If you absolutely cannot afford to get it fixed correctly right away buy some JB Weld or a similar epoxy to cover the cracks in the radiator. This might buy you some more time for only $10.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you LegendC :D I'm going to replace it, I was just concerned that if ur driving around, is it possible to pull in air & over heat w/out showing the needle go up.

Latin............................

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hey Latin it's not wise to drive too long on a overheating engine, if u let the Temp reach HIGH Temps too many times you'll warp the block, just make shure u keep a constant eye on your Temp

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that info, and i always do keep my eye on it :D.

Latin...................

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The temp. gauge will often be inaccurate when you have a leak in the coolant system (like a cracked radiator or leaking fitting). The reason is that air can be drawn into the system when the engine cools and since the coolant temp sensor depends on being immersed in coolant, if it is not always immersed (like when air gets into the system) it can give you a false reading. The number one reason for blown headgaskets is overheating, usually because someone ignored the initial warning they got from the temp gauge. The heads can warp very quickly when this happens. When this happens they must be removed and milled (sometimes they warp beyond repair) to obtain a sufficiently flat mating surface. I would not try to play russian roulette with my engine, by running it when you know you have a coolant leak. Ain't nothin' but bad things gonna happen. Even if you "top up the coolant" regularly you can get air blocks in the system that will inhibit proper circulation and cooling.....this is not a very good strategy, even tho it seems to be like you're on top of it you will still get bit in the ass. Take it from an old man who has had plenty of stitches in his ass!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
WORD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts