Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the skinny:

>long version:
i was told at my 120k checkup that the infamous rear transy mt was broken (they wanted $360!) so i followed leon's advice and took it to a place in atlanta. according to tony, the mount is fine, but the right control arm is shot, and the left isn't too far behind.
apparently it's $350 for one, $600 for both. ouch!

>short version:
control arms are shot- $350 for one, $600 for both :(

>where is this going? :confused:

A) is this a good price for this fix?
B) is this a feasable break, or should i get a second opinion?
C) what the devil is a control arm, anyway?

well, that's it from the homefront... thanks for the input!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
where's the love?

has anyone else had their "control arms" go out?

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
NO, but I had them priced at the dealer before, when I *thought* they were bad, and they were in fact the outer tie rods. The dealer wanted some $600/each, I think including labor...but I don't remember....I don't remember cuz I was too shocked....wow! But a very important suspension piece. Don't play with those.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the tie rod ends usually fail, not the control arms. Ask the shop to show you how they determined "failure". Tie rod ends usually are loose at the joint and pop when turned if they are failed, you can literally grab them and try to twist or rotate about their axis, if you can move it at all, replace

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Agreed it may be tie rods. I had to get mine fixed when I first bought my car last year. They seem to be a common failure along with the rear tranny mount, radiator, ant. mast, etc...
I have yet to hear of a control arm going out on a legend.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Last set of bad control arms I saw was on an 88 4dr back in 96. The bushings can just be replaced and cost about $20+ labor. (1 hr tops) Tie rods can have bad inners or outers, here I'm guessing, $40 for outers (20 min to replace) $60 inners (1 hr tops ) plus an alignment.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
PSA said:
Last set of bad control arms I saw was on an 88 4dr back in 96. The bushings can just be replaced and cost about $20+ labor. (1 hr tops) Tie rods can have bad inners or outers, here I'm guessing, $40 for outers (20 min to replace) $60 inners (1 hr tops ) plus an alignment.
that would be correct....$56.95 + tax at NAPA

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ok here is whats up on the control arms..... My Passenger side upper Ball Joint is shot, so the say ther have to replace the whole control arm..... Dealer quote $500........ Sears Auto Center Quote $200.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update

i went back by to pick it up yesterday-

i was looking at the UCA when he shifted the car into drive (brake on)- the whole car lurched and slid along the UCA... there's a bunch of play in it. (ie- the car can move forward or back, sliding along the contact for the UCA).

if you look at the UCA as the letter 'A' then it's like the two bottom legs are spread a li'l more than they should be ;)

this lurching may be why, at the 120k checkup, it was diagnosed as rear transmy mt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts