Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do u guys think i could turn my 89L into an LS model??? like puttin in the auto climate controll unit, maybe the in dash computer too. do u think the wire harness would match?? im just curious cause i miss the LS model i used to have. i actually still have it so i want to know if i could hybrid my 89L(auto) with my 87LS(manual). i know itll be worth it cause my 89 rides perfect and all the computers and climate controll unit in my 87 still works fine. can it be done??

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
L to LS conversions don't work. You need all the wiring harnesses and stuff, and it wouldn't be worth the hassle if it was possible. The auto to manual swap can (and has) been done, though you will need the ECU as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u mean swap from a auto to manual transmission?? can u still use the same engine? well what about the auto climate control. i know theres just a sensor near the vin number but could i still install that?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
89aCuRa said:
u mean swap from a auto to manual transmission?? can u still use the same engine? well what about the auto climate control. i know theres just a sensor near the vin number but could i still install that?
Yes, you can use the same engine from a tranny swap. You need the ECU from the manual car, though. I think that the auto climate control requires different wiring and sensors and stuff. If it makes any difference to you, I like the manual climate controls better anyway. Think about it: the auto is a PITA to use when you want manual controls, and if you can't regulate your own temperature...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I second Vince on his choice of manual settings over "climate control". In my LS i either fry or freeze. More leeway with settings with manual control. Advise tho' to use the air condotioning in the winter to defrost etc., to keep the seals in good shape.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention: the 87 sedans had the 2.5L engine. This may or may not swap into your later 89. If the 87 is a coupe, then I see no problems.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The climate control might be able to be swapped. You would have to change the wiring a bit. I think there are only 4 components to the climate control. The computer can't be swapped. There are a number of sensors that would be almost impossible to change. The oil level sensor inside the engine, the sensor in the gas tank, sensors in the washer fluid reservior, coolant reservior, etc.
The sensors for the climate control are the sensor in the center console, the sunlight sensor on the dash next to the VIN, the outiside temp sensor, and the climate control unit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah im gonna check it out with the acura mechanic, i know one pretty good. i know the in dash computer will be a pain because of those sensors, but im definitely gonna check out the auto climate controll, its flashy and seems to work fine for me. its all up to the wiring harness if it plugs right in ill do it, all i have to do is connect the sensors for it. the only problem im thinking is the motors to funnel the air to the desired track, if those will work properly.....hopefully they do.

ps the 87 is a coupe with the 2.7, so i guess i wont have a problem if i wanted to swap the transmission between the two, i have everything even the ecus.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It definately won't just plug in. You would need to do some splicing and run some new wires through the dash, but it wouldn't be near as much as if you changed the in-dash computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts