Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to flush all the coolant out of your car what must you do? i looked in the DIY section....only flushings is for transmissions. i know about the drain thing under the car....but i want ZERO coolant in it so i can try bar's leaks head gasket repair. i searched for that too....and found mixed reviews so i might as well try it. i just wanna be sure i flush everything correctly.

ill go through what i THINK is the proper procedure then you all can correct me....ok. open drain plug, let crap come out. close drain plug. fill radiator with water, run car til warm, let cool down, open drain, close drain, refill with water (repeat like 3 times?) or until all clear water comes out of drain. is this a proper coolant flush?

then, just so yall know, you add the stuff, fill rest with water, run til warm, top off with water, run at higher rpm 1500, let sit, top off with water, let sit for 1 hour. drain. leave plug open and cap off for 12 hours. flush like above, and then refill with proper coolant. tada! no more bhg!! :bowdown: :2cool: :confused:

· Registered
52 Posts
Yes all that and also there's also a good 1/2 gal of coolant when I removed the differential cooler line. Best bet is if you can drain from the engine block...the brass plug next to the starter is very inaccessible unless you had the driver side axle out of the way. All the flushing with water will get trapped in the block no matter what. Now that Honda offers only the diluted type 2 blue, it gets even more diluted with the left over water from all that flushing.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i was planning on doing after all that flushing is drive around for a day after refilling with the blue coolant, then draining that, and refilling again with the blue stuff. that way less water will be in there. you know. try to get as much water out as possible.

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
i used bars head gasket repair last weekend...

make sure you get absolutely all the coolant out...

i had a pretty bad experience with it since i think it clogged something in the coolant system.

i was driving on the expressway to queens to get a type II motor put in but on the way something burst. I never found out what the source was but it was probably the heater hose that burst... not sure since I had it towed to the garage after that little incident.

i guess it mixed with the anti-freeze and it clogged up somewhere.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bl420 said:
i used bars head gasket repair last weekend...

make sure you get absolutely all the coolant out...

i had a pretty bad experience with it since i think it clogged something in the coolant system.

i was driving on the expressway to queens to get a type II motor put in but on the way something burst. I never found out what the source was but it was probably the heater hose that burst... not sure since I had it towed to the garage after that little incident.

i guess it mixed with the anti-freeze and it clogged up somewhere.
yea....i plan on flushing no less than 8 total times. 4 before adding stuff...4 after adding stuff. i dont want anything else going wrong with this car before i sell it. i have all day set aside tomorrow.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCarGo. said:
Oh and don't forget to turn on the heater core there's some coolant trapped in there as well, and leave it on for the entire job. This helps to flush out the crap and prevents another source of trapped air. Prior to this, I noticed my coolant reservoir level rises and fall with the heater turned on/off.
turning on the heater core by turning the heat knob all the way to HOT? is that how or is that something different?

· Registered
2,535 Posts
Hey Grundle sexxy car.

There is a short cut to flushing your cooling system completely. I will write the steps for you.

1. Remove your radiator cap and drain your radiator:

2. Remove your upper radiator hose:

3. Underneath the car, next to the oil filter, there a coolant line which will allow you to remove 95% of your coolant. When you remove the clamp, coolant will flood out.
(in the picture, it's the bottom middle(ish)

4. Now, get your favorite water hose and spray water into where the upper radiator hose goes. This will flush out the remaining coolant out of the clamp you just removed from underneath the car.

5. Keep in mind, your cooling system will now hold a small amount of water. Now, pour coolant down the same hole you sprayed water down until the hose underneath the car is flushing out coolant.

6. Connect the hose underneath the car. Screw back in your radiator drain plug, reconnect the upper radiator hose and BLEED your system.

· Registered
90 Posts
i agree... that little step by step will save us 3 or 4 flush.. thanks a lot Ballistic.

This should be a sticky, cuz a lot of us can't seem to find the draining plug on the block cuz no one want to take a picture of it to show us. this also would help newbies like myself that only knows how to flush the radiator by the radiator drain plug.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
arnach said:
You are trying to do a temp. head gasket repair to pass your car off as operational even though it has a BHG? Or am I wrong?
i only need it to go until winter is over. you see....i have ZERO heat, ZERO money to fix it/buy a new car, and its consistently under 30 degrees here. i havent even wanted to drive it the past couple days. i am driving an old POS van that has no A/C. but i'd rather have no a/c than no heat in the winter. by the time winter is over, ill have decided what to do with it, be it sell it, keep it, see how fast my airbags deploy. :confused: im not a dickhead and wont try to sell it as if it doesnt have a BHG. i have come to terms with it and will do all in my power to keep it from getting worse.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Grundle said:
i only need it to go until winter is over. you see....i have ZERO heat, ZERO money to fix it/buy a new car, and its consistently under 30 degrees here. i havent even wanted to drive it the past couple days. i am driving an old POS van that has no A/C. but i'd rather have no a/c than no heat in the winter. by the time winter is over, ill have decided what to do with it, be it sell it, keep it, see how fast my airbags deploy. :confused: im not a dickhead and wont try to sell it as if it doesnt have a BHG. i have come to terms with it and will do all in my power to keep it from getting worse.
Ah that's cool. Can you afford one of those ceramic car heaters on eBay for $20? They actually work. I use one to aid in defrosting.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
arnach said:
Ah that's cool. Can you afford one of those ceramic car heaters on eBay for $20? They actually work. I use one to aid in defrosting.
that would prolly be nice....but its not only that, lol. i also wanna keep as much damage from being done to my engine as possible. the more it overheats the worse it gets from my understanding of the problem. more wear and tear on the engine. so temporarily fixing the head gasket will make everything easier in the long run.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok...just so everyone knows, i am working on the car right now and as it cools down im taking a break. just wanted to let everyone know...those steps truly work wonders. the bottom hose by the filter is a pain cuz the clamp wouldnt budge for me, but once i got it off...it took maybe a quart of hot water to completely flush all coolant out of the system. took me about an hour and a half cuz i spent 15 minutes raising the car (no lift, had to use the crank jack.), 10 minutes draining the radiator, 45 minutes trying to get the damn clamped hose to budge...but after i got it off....took maybe 20 minutes to flush the radiator and the engine. maybe less. i took a couple breaks. its cold as $hit out there...lol. got 6 inches of snow last night. lol. just wanted to thank ballistic for the serious time saver. :bowdown:

this works people!!

· Registered
403 Posts
I followed these steps this week and it was a big help. I had planned on flushing it a 2nd time, but after seeing how clear it was, I just put antifreeze/water back in. Thanks, this was a big time saver!
thanks for resurrecting this thread 2 years later, last post was in 2005 prior to your post. I was about to attempt the multiple drain and fill scenario. but now i can get most of it out in one try. thanks again and for the prior post in 2005 thanks for the pics.

James

· Outta GT
395 Posts
Please tell me I don't have oil in my coolant!!!!
Ok, I'm attempting this DIY....completed step one & two, so…. I took off (see red and blue arrows in pic) both of these hoses "step three" and oil (sweet smelling) came out of both hoses. WTF? Are these the correct hose/s described in the DIY, or did I [email protected] up? I know it's not the yellow arrow, cause the book states that this is the differential oil cooler line.

Right now my car is in the air, I'm working under a light, cause it's dark and I'm just [email protected] dumb-founded!! Can anyone who has done this DIY, please verify the correct hose by the color marks I've made.
Much appreciated.

Shoe Automotive tire Grey Bumper Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.