Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to replace my cooling hose (coolant leak) but my temp gauge is still running Hot....should the thermostat be checked next?....how hard is it to get to the thermostat on a 86 Legend sedan?..trying to avoid labor cost..what can happen if driving with a bad thermostat for a few weeks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you replaced the coolant did you burp the air out of the system? If not you might have some air bubbles which can cause problems. To burp the air out there is a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. If you crack it open it should spit out pure coolant. If there's bubbles coming out too then you should let all the air come out of the system before tightening it back up.

As for a bad thermostat, that's always possible. Mine (89 coupe 205K miles) went a couple months back. In my case it got stuck closed, so the engine would get REAL hot.

I think the 2.5L engine is relatively similar to my 2.7L. When I replaced my thermostat isn't wasn't too tough. Just had to get the air filter out of the way first. Once that was gone, the thermostat housing was fairly well exposed. I think it was 3 bolts and the housing came off exposing the thermostat.

Good luck!!

-Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.