Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I am having an issue with my drivers side window where it won't close anymore. I have taken the door panel off and found the problem; the window regulator has physically broken into two pieces near the bottom right of the door, near the motor connections. If i try to close the window i get a loud clunking sound and i can see the inner skin of the door flex. The damage is very severe in that area as the bolt that is holding the mount to the door was ripped off leaving a large hole in the door. This hole is all twisted with many sharp edges. So this means i am going to have to repair the inner door skin before i put in a new regulator; I was thinking of welding in a plate of metal then drilling the required holes into it. I was going to use galvanized steel to prevent rusting. Currently I have put in a band aid to keep my window closed by attaching a bracket into the middle of the regular to prevent it from moving. This will keep the window closed but now i can't open it obviously.

Anyway this isn't really what i was asking but i thought giving some background would be good.

My main question is getting a new regulator; will a regulator for a sedan work for a coupe? I found several drivers door regulators on Ebay for a decent price however i do not know if they will fit. If they don't fit does anyone here have a drivers side door regular for a 1987 Coupe L they are willing to part with?

Thanks for looking; any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Justin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Definitely get another regulator.

I would even go a step further and recommend a new one. My coupe has had the driver's side door regulator replaced twice and the passenger side regulator once. I think breakage is a common problem with these things.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
I don't know if it a formal recall or not, but when I had my driver's door regulator replaced for the second time in a year at the Dealer (back when I was wealthy), they did the labor free and installed the Acura-made stiffening plate at the motor (about where yours broke, I presume), which they said was a post-production modification. Appears to be weak by design.

Anyway, not sure what to look for except some hacked-on accessory plate around the motor mounts. That's for when pulling a used one, which may/not have one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting; i might have to contact the local dealership and see what they know about this issue.

My regulator has been broken for a very long time; at least 5-6 years. Before i owned the car the previous owner said that if the window up button was held even if the window was fully closed it makes a loud clunking sound. This is the same clunking sound it made when the window failed yesterday. This leads me to believe that it was partially broken or weakened and just gave way yesterday. I am going to goto the local pick apart and see if i can find a good regulator. If not i'll have to go through the dealership unless i can find an online store with one in-stock at a reasonable price.

Thank you all for replying.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
I've since recalled also that they spoke of this plate being at the "pivot point" near the motor.

I think the motor was stronger than the structure and would literally wrench the works into submission (the clunk you heard), especially when the window was already UP/DOWN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Window regulator

I have an '87' coupe and have never had a problem with my window regulator.
I'm parting out my car after the rear end was severely damaged, and still have the drivers side window regulator. Unfortunately I had ankle surgery Thursday and can't get around well enough on crutches to pull the part if you need it soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.