Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a court appearance on June 3rd, plead not guilty to a $165 traffic ticket (60 in a 35 zone). Any advice on how to get out of the fine? Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
well, 25 over is reckless, so if all you got was a fine, and not 6 points on your record or whatever that is, then you have already gotten lucky. but to get out of a ticket with that much over speed limit is kinda hard.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Ya, consider yourself lucky and accept the fine...and BE CAREFUL!!!!

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Wear a suit- The cop will speak to you before u go up infront of the judge and offer a plead bargin- He will probably offer to lower down the speed - (fewer points/ lower fines) he may lower the speed from a 60 to a 50 or 45. Take the plead and pay the fine.
Or you can say no and go to trial- But you will probably lose and get the full fine and points. Either way if the cop shows up you will be paying a fine and your insurance will go up.
Or u could be lucky and cop could a be a total idiot and blow his case and they it will be dismissed- But I doubt it.

Good luck
Esti

·
Registered
653 Posts
From what i have been taught. you can make it difficult for the cop if you are in the right place at the wrong time... heheheh

If he pulls you over with radar:
ASk to see his tuning for and the gun and the calibration sheets. He is required to do this when you ask

If he pulls you over by following you:
Ask to see the sheets that tell you when his speedometer has been checked.

If you are just pulled over on the freeway: (this one is my favorite):
Ask for your case to be heard in the county seat. that means if say you are pulled over in Orange county California somewhere. The county seat is in downtown L.A. so the cop who has been working on giving tickets in his district, has to travel all the way to L.A. to see just your case. This gives it a less likely chance of him showing up. Plus he wont remember you anyways cause the trial is like months from when he gave the ticket. YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE HE GOES BACK TO THE CAR AND ISSUES YOU THE TICKET.

Good Luck. Hope that helps you in the future.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always thought that you had to go to the local court of the area you were pulled over in. anyhow, cops do remember you as they make notes about you. I got a 77 on a 45 work zone ticket back in last August and went to court last month. and when I went up to the cop to hear his plea deal, he remembered me saying to him, thanks for ruining my day and blowing smoke in his face which I don't really remember. but with the help of a buddy police officer who took his own personal time off to appear in court with me really helped out big time. the cop offered me no points, $140 fine and 2 defensive driving classes to take which turned out to be a great deal.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Trix said:
I always thought that you had to go to the local court of the area you were pulled over in. anyhow, cops do remember you as they make notes about you. I got a 77 on a 45 work zone ticket back in last August and went to court last month. and when I went up to the cop to hear his plea deal, he remembered me saying to him, thanks for ruining my day and blowing smoke in his face which I don't really remember. but with the help of a buddy police officer who took his own personal time off to appear in court with me really helped out big time. the cop offered me no points, $140 fine and 2 defensive driving classes to take which turned out to be a great deal.
You are entitled the right to be heard in the count seat. You have to state it BEFORE he gives you the ticket.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
R3.2Cyber said:

You are entitled the right to be heard in the count seat. You have to state it BEFORE he gives you the ticket.
That may be true in L.A. but here on the north east your trial is held at the local court where the summons was issued.
So if u get a ticket in the town of Humpville then your trial will be in the court of humpville. You can't request a trial some where else. Every Town and City and sometimes village have their own Court houses.
Every state has their own rules for trials. I'm sure what ure saying is correct for LA b/c it's a large city. But even in NYC you can't ask to have your trial held any where else.

Good Luck
Esti

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
Hey Esti

hey Esti,
so does this go for upstate NY too?

"If he pulls you over with radar:
ASk to see his tuning for and the gun and the calibration sheets. He is required to do this when you ask

Ask to see the sheets that tell you when his speedometer has been checked. "

and if it does, how can it help u...........say if he doesnt have his sheets or if he shows u, what date or setting are they supposed to show???

also i dont know if u read my post on the ticket i got, but id appreciate it if u could give me any advice......................

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=54088#post54088

i went to the court today, but i found out that if i was going to plead not guilty, i just had to sign it and give my address, and theyre going to send me the trial date and deposition in the mail...............................

·
Five- O
857 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe- I sent u an e-mail -

"If he pulls you over with radar:

Ask to see the sheets that tell you when his speedometer has been checked. "

The officer has to show all calibration and log paperwork at trial- Not at the traffic stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.