Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the dreaded call today from my mechanic. My car went in for the HG repair yesterday. I have a cracked block. He said it is between the two cylinders on the right hand side. Now I dunno if you think I am crazy or if he is crazy but I told him to put it back together. He said that if it was his car, that he would put it back together. What do you guys think? He said that it looks like it might be OK. I guess it was in between the cylinder liner(?).

Well that really sucks:(

Anybody want to buy me a 6spd???:)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
umm..

www.car-part.com

they sell engines, if you decide to just get a used one ship to you.

from my experiences, any "fixed" stuff never comes out perfectly right.... my dad had a lincoln continental that he had the engine rebuilt and now sounds worse than before, even though it's not blowing white smoke out. :)
:eek:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Jose....

I looked there for an engine and could not find the type 2.... Would be nice.

However, I might have some good news.:) ....

After thinking about my situation, I figured go legendless for a while and find myself a coupe. I looked on the canada trader.com sight and to my surprise..... A SIX SPEED. It is so out of my price range, but I have to have it. I might be joining your elite club WOO HOO.

The car is in Edmonton, but he might drive into calgary this weekend for me to see it. Tell me what you think.... Is he asking too much (CDN $$$ remember) http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=29GEWUP13788826&rubno=4000&pa=8&pr=2 It converts to about $12000 US. If I do take a look at it, how can I tell if he has bagged out the clutch and tranny? He sounds like a younger guy, maybe good maybe bad. Only 120 000 km...:)

·
Registered
671 Posts
hey mckenzie - your best bet is to take the car you are looking at to your mechanic and have him do a thorough inspection on it. since he is a mechanic, he will be able to find things that are messed up (or not) that you probably wouldn't. he also should be able to tell if the clutch/tranny is going to need to be replaced soon. if i were you, i would do one of 2 things (depending on what the mechanic says: 1. take the car to have the mechanic inspect it without the owner there, and be there yourself so that he can show you the things he looks at (and what he thinks about them as he finds them), or 2. take the car there and drop it off so that neither you or the owner are there to bug the mechanic. basically, you don't want the owner there at all - it will make the situation better for all 3 people involved: you, the mechanic, and the seller (can you tell i speak from experience?). good luck,

wally

·
Registered
89 Posts
GO GET THAT CAR!

Get out there RIGHT AWAY. Drive her. If she is un-modified (sorry my modifying brothers) buy her. She should drive straight with no hands on the wheel, shift like polished glass, and run quiet. If you like the color, for that kind of price, you can stand a clutch or some other medium to light work. You are darn lucky you are 5KKm away...I'd be after her.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx. I think I would defenitaly like to get it inspected. He told me that all he put on it were fog lights and the aftermarket stereo system. He says its worth like 5 grand, Alpine double DIN deck, speakers, subs, etc..... I dont like buying moddified cars either, becasue you really dont know the true story of what happened. Hopefully all goes well......:)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey,

I bought my 93 6-speed 3 years ago in Ottawa for 22k CDN, and it had 89000kms on the clock ... 19.5k seems a bit much for that car ... I'd try and talk the guy down to 17k. Also, ask if the major service has been done -- 120k is coming up on the tbelt change. Maybe get him to throw in the price of that service. Otherwise, the car looks great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts