Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 2 door coupe. My engine has been overheating and then cooling back to normal almost immediately. A friend said the head may be cracked or the head gasket is bad. The engine has 120,000 miles on it. Have any of you had this problem? Is it common with the Legends with high mileage? Is it feasable to get the heads replaced (if that is the problem) or get an engine with low miles or get a rebuilt engine. Appreciate your comments.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I had my headgasket go at 120k miles in my 91. This is a common problem for G2 Legends. It is possible it's not the headgasket and could be a number of other things though, such as a bad thermostat. The best way is to have it tested at a mechanic for a blown headgasket.

If you let the engine over heat for a long period of time chances are the heads, and possibly the block are warped or cracked. If it only over heated momentarily chances are it's ok.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
don't drive it around lik that!
Do you notice driedcoolant on top of your radiator?
Have you driven it continuously with the needle in the red? Or do you turn it off? If not, you may be able to replace the radiator (high failure item) and thermostat and be in good shape...now if you have done this for several miles or minutes, then you may have a problem...let us know

·
Registered
744 Posts
Geez, I know that headgasket #3 cylinder is a culprit - however, many many G2 owners experience overheating that is not the headgasket and Ladies and Gentlemen I am here to tell you that Chris Wade... LMAO... didn't listen. He had is headgaskets replaced at the suggestion of his mechanic at 124k because his temp was going up and down, from mid-point to red and then back to mid-point. Guess what. I drove him to pick up his ride. Not ten minutes down the road he had the same problem. Drove it to Acura - cost 79 to diagnose and repair (the applied the diagnostic fee to the repair action) a connector that had literally rotted. I felt bad for him that he dropped that many duckets, and his mechanic doesn't have the meter that detects exhaust gas in the radiator. He fell into the... could be hairline cracks, headgasket problem, and the recommendation of his mechanic freaked out. More or less went into the Auto Import Specialties and told them what he needed done.

All I'm saying is before you drop approximately 1 to 1.2 theeeeousand dollas - go to Acura, get a printed diagnostic of the repair required to return your vehicle to normal operating specs.

KNLNGUS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts