Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you replaced the timing belt youselves, how do you manage to get the crankshaft pulley off without the special Honda "PULLEY HOLDER"? According to Helm (the bible for legend), you will need the special Honda "Pulley holder Attachment and Holder Handle" to hold the crankshaft pulley in place while using a 19mm socket wrench to turn the pulley bolt loose. All of the local auto stores don't have them, and it's not worth the money to buy a new one if it's only gonna be used once just for the timing belt. :( Thanks a lot. My radiator cracked recently so I'm just gonna replace most of the major maintenance items at the same time. Please tell me know how you remove the crankshaft pulley bolt without the pulley holder. I have exhausted all my resources and my brain cells start to die off from trying to figure out how to get this thing off.


regards,

___________
eddie
95 LS 6sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
My mechanic used no such part to remove the cam-gears when he worked on my car, I don't think its that big of an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LegendC said:
My mechanic used no such part to remove the cam-gears when he worked on my car, I don't think its that big of an issue.
This is not the camshaft pulley gears. This is the crankshaft pulley that drives all three belts (alternator, a/c, and pwersteering). It (the crankshaft pulley) attaches to the crankshaft with a big pulley bolt (16x1.5mm, 174lb-ft). In order to get to the timing belt, the pulley and the bolt have to come off. I am concerned more on how to remvoe or turn loose the pulley bolt while keeping the crankshaft pulley in place (TDC Mark), that's why Honda makes this special "pulley holder attchment and holder handle". However, local stores don't carry them, and if I go to the dealer they're going to charge me an arm and a leg for it and that's if they sell it. I just want to know if anyone has some genious ways of taking the pulley bolt off without the special tool. ;) ;) Thanks anyway! :) Any advices are greatly appreciated!:p

regards,

___________
eddie
95 LS 6sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
An impact (air) wrench should do the trick. Don't just pull the trigger and let it rip. Use short bursts *burp-burp-burp* and the bolt should break loose.

Be sure to use a puller of some sort to get the damper off of the crankshaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
yea, all the mechanics I know used impact wrenches. I just used a chained pulley holder because my pulley broke and I didn't have to worry about damaging since it needed to be replaced. If you don't have an impact wrench get one. It's a great investment. Your more likely going to find more use out of the air compressor than the speacial pulley holder. If you don't want to spend the money, maybe you can get a small wood block and wedge in in one of the camshaft gears and belt to keep the belt from turning the pulley. I've thought of doing this but didn't need to, so give that a try and report back to us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try an impact wrench on it, that should do the trick. That's how I remember it being done-NickD
An impact (air) wrench should do the trick. Don't just pull the trigger and let it rip. Use short bursts *burp-burp-burp* and the bolt should break loose-paulo57509.
yea, all the mechanics I know used impact wrenches. I just used a chained pulley holder because my pulley broke and I didn't have to worry about damaging since it needed to be replaced. If you don't have an impact wrench get one. It's a great investment. Your more likely going to find more use out of the air compressor than the speacial pulley holder. If you don't want to spend the money, maybe you can get a small wood block and wedge in in one of the camshaft gears and belt to keep the belt from turning the pulley. I've thought of doing this but didn't need to, so give that a try and report back to us- 5speedLegend.
Thanks to all of you for helping me out on this one!:D :D I think an impact wrench is the way to go since it can be used more often then some one-time speicalty pricy tool!:rolleyes: ;) However, I think I'm gonna try 5speedLegend's idea of using some small wood block and block the pulley from turning. I think I'll wedge in with some wood blocks on both sides of the camshafts that way it (wood blocks on both sides) should hold the belt and thus the crankshaft pulley while I try to turn the pulley bolt loose. :confused: :rolleyes: Well, I'll see how it goes, or I'll get a impact wrench system. ;) Again, thanks for helping out! :p

regards,

__________
eddie
95 LS 6sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Another trick I've done on other cars when I can get an old belt around the pulley is to put an old belt through a 12" +/- piece of PVC pipe so the belt sticks out both ends. Put one end around the pulley. Now on the other end of the belt that's sticking out the other end of the PVC pipe put some sort of bar/screwdriver in there so you can twist the h*ll out of the belt. This may make the end of the belt around the pulley tight enough so the PVC pipe can be help in place so the pulley doesn't move while removing the pulley nut/bolt.

I've never worked on an Acura yes so I don't know how feasable this is. Good luck! I'm going to have to do this sometime in the future...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PoodleHead said:
Another trick I've done on other cars when I can get an old belt around the pulley is to put an old belt through a 12" +/- piece of PVC pipe so the belt sticks out both ends. Put one end around the pulley. Now on the other end of the belt that's sticking out the other end of the PVC pipe put some sort of bar/screwdriver in there so you can twist the h*ll out of the belt. This may make the end of the belt around the pulley tight enough so the PVC pipe can be help in place so the pulley doesn't move while removing the pulley nut/bolt.

I've never worked on an Acura yes so I don't know how feasable this is. Good luck! I'm going to have to do this sometime in the future...
Sounds like a lot of muscle twisting effort is needed. :eek: thanks for the advice! ;)

regards,

_______
eddie
95 ls 6sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I just got through doing this and my 400 ft/pd impact didnt have the ass to break it loose... I used a 1/2" drive snap-on breaker bar and some muscles to get the job done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
n20rbit93 said:
I just got through doing this and my 400 ft/pd impact didnt have the ass to break it loose... I used a 1/2" drive snap-on breaker bar and some muscles to get the job done.
where can I find this ""1/2" drive snap-on breaker bar"? ;) What did you use to hold the pulley in place while ass-whipping the pulley nut loose?? :confused: Good job!;) ;) Thanks for doing this first and providing the info..:p

regards,

_________
eddie
95 ls 6sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Well any brand breaker bar will do... Probably the easiest to get ahold of for you would be a craftsman from your local sears hardware store.... as far as the pulley turning as long as everything is together it shouldn't move it... if it does move then that would mean that your engine is really weak... But when I did it I had the whole motor out and I used a big pair of vice grips and clamped them to the flywheel so it wouldnt move... good luck man..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
n20rbit93 said:
Well any brand breaker bar will do... Probably the easiest to get ahold of for you would be a craftsman from your local sears hardware store.... as far as the pulley turning as long as everything is together it shouldn't move it... if it does move then that would mean that your engine is really weak... But when I did it I had the whole motor out and I used a big pair of vice grips and clamped them to the flywheel so it wouldnt move... good luck man..
Alright. Sounds good. :D I'm going to dig into the nearby Sears and see what they got. Thanks. Long live the Legends......:D

regards,

________
eddie
95 ls 6sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Crankshaft...

eddie said:
Thanks to all of you for helping me out on this one!:D :D I think an impact wrench is the way to go since it can be used more often then some one-time speicalty pricy tool!:rolleyes: ;) However, I think I'm gonna try 5speedLegend's idea of using some small wood block and block the pulley from turning. I think I'll wedge in with some wood blocks on both sides of the camshafts that way it (wood blocks on both sides) should hold the belt and thus the crankshaft pulley while I try to turn the pulley bolt loose. :confused: :rolleyes: Well, I'll see how it goes, or I'll get a impact wrench system. ;) Again, thanks for helping out! :p

regards,

__________
eddie
95 LS 6sp
I am having a tough time getting the bolt off, too. I have an impact wrench but it takes a lot of room to get to the bolt so I could not use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,037 Posts
k

take radiator out or you have to get a smaller gun..

or the breaker bar trick.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top