Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got my eye on a 88 RX7 convertible 5 speed, black non turbo, now i didnt' get a chance to drive it, heres why, guy is asking $700 engine sounds nice BUT water pump is leaking noticed it as soon as i started the engine, matter of fact seems that the previous owner tried to change it but did a sloppy job, i can see the cheap gasket paste everywhere (cheap *******) anyways like a said engine sounds nice no abnormal sounds coming from it, didn't smoke even on start up, smelled normal no smell of high hydro carbon, oil or water. seeing that the water pump was leaking i didnt' want to take it out and risk overheating and warping the block. i can proberly talk dude down to $500 and if i wanted to i can take it to my machanic and have waterpump and belts done for under $300 but i want to do job myself, sort of my little project car, my plan is to get it into SCCA racing at Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah so i keep hearing but it's funny though cuz u still see the early 80's rx7 on the street, i hear that the rotory engine is reliable then i hear it's not, mostly on the last generation one, but yeah i wanted to turn it into a racer, put a roll bar on it, and just do it

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
HATE_ME_NOW said:
yeah so i keep hearing but it's funny though cuz u still see the early 80's rx7 on the street, i hear that the rotory engine is reliable then i hear it's not, mostly on the last generation one, but yeah i wanted to turn it into a racer, put a roll bar on it, and just do it
The older ones do not have a sequential turbo charger system.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChrisK said:

The older ones do not have a sequential turbo charger system.
whats the 411 on a sequential turbo? cuz i know that the second gen rx7 did have a turbo model, but your referring to the 1 gen huh?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Non-turbo 7's aren't a reliability problem, turbo II's are ok also (with good maintenance), it's the 3rd Gen's that are the problem. They have a tendency to run hot, and when they run hot (caused by excessive heat from the sequential system), the housings wear and crack, as well as the flanges for the exhaust manifold. When these fissures occur, the car developes an erratic boost condition, and it will eventually kill the motor... as the seals go on the rotor housing, also caused by heat, the motor will go also...

With an EXCELLENT cooling system, good fuel management, and a rebuilt motor, the 3rd Gen 7 is a great car, but as for the GenII's, go ahead (it's a reliable car), but I wouldn't use that thing for any type of racing - it's dogass slow... get a hardtop GLX and see what you can do with that (if you want to get an NA Rex...)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmm interesting, but aren't there turbo and after market accesories for the RX? and whats the advantage of the GLX?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you want an NA autocrosser, the GLX is cheap, NA, and also light... and it's not a convertible... yes, there are numerous parts for the Rex's, expecially the turbo, but for an easy-to-maintain SCCA car, get a little NA, put on a header, exhaust, suspension, some good tires, etc... (Call Racing Beat or Mazdatrix), and go have fun...

If you want more power, and more maintenance (headaches), go for the turboII, but only if you're willing to make the commitment to the car...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.