Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You have an LS. Do you have an Info Center?

If you do, drive down the highway, do the following and report back.

1. Switch the display to CURRENT FUEL ECONOMY. What does the read out say?

2. Switch the display to AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY. What does the read out say?

3. Switch it to the TRIP METER. Do the miles increment or is it "frozen" at some number?

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
If the light on the switch comes on, the system is engaged.

Does the light on the instrument cluster come on at all?
I'm presuming not since you state the steering wheel controls don't work.

It's probably a corrosion of copper contacts inside the steering wheel unit. If so, removing it, disassembling and cleaning should clear it up.

Have you messed with the Brake Light Switch lately, or lost/replaced the switch pad on the brake pedal arm? This adjustment can affect Cruise Control.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
i have an 88 L with the info system, do i do the same thing to check it? When you push the cruise button on the dash the button light comes on but when you try to set the cruise on the steering wheel it doesn't hold the speed. Could i maybe have the same problem as the op?

·
L E G E N D
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a Ls but the info center is broken and the cruise control worked before. Well the green light comes on form the button on he dash. But it seems that the buttons on the streeing wheel dont work i think ill take it apart and see if it needs cleaning

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
my info system works fine, but my cruise hasn't worked since i bought the car. i wonder if i take apart the steering wheel buttons and clean the connections if it will start working.....let us know if it fixes your problem i might try the same thing and see if it fixes mine as well

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

3. Switch it to the TRIP METER. Do the miles increment or is it "frozen" at some number?
If you have an Info Center, doing these things will tell you whether or not the problem is with the speed sensor in the speedo head or if the problem is elsewhere.

If it's not the speed sensor, i'd check the cruise control vacuum system next. Because the dash light is coming on (the light next to the ALB System warning light, not the light on the cruise control switch above the dimmer control), it's a pretty good bet that the steering wheel switches and the electrical circuit that controls the cruise control is working. In other words, the system is getting an input, but it's not providing an output (setting the speed).

Next, take the time to verify that there are no vacuum leaks from the diaphram back to the vacuum source. Also verify that the diaphram itself isn't punctured.

Next, check the cable that goes from the diaphram to the throttle body.

I'd check the brake light switch last. You can check its function by setting the cruise control (the dash light comes on, as you said) and then tap the brake. If the cruise control light goes out, the brake light switch is working. The cruise doesn't have to be working to perform this test.

Report back with your findings.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yep, if the horns aren't working, then it sounds like possibly a clockspring. Also, if you have a manual transmission, there's one other thing that will get you; make sure that the clutch switch is working and that the plastic tab in the clutch arm hasn't broken out. It's just like the brake light switch, the only thing is that when the clutch switch tab breaks out, it affects nothing other than the cruise control.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts

1. ( was driving) it said 31 mpg at 55 mph exactly
2. Avg. said 22.5
3. Trip meter did just what it was suppose to.

Also, my system check light as well as my check engine light and ABS light are on. LOL, yeah, i know i'm lit up like a Christmas Tree.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.