Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Road Trip King
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First snowstorm! Well, ready or not, winter is here. I spent Thanksgiving weekend at home in St. George where it was nice and sunny. Today, I came back to northern Utah and it's a miracle I made it alive! The trip took an extra two hours because of the terrible snow. There were some mountain passes where we were slowed to 5-10 mph, just inching along... and cars were still sliding off the road. I saw one fresh rollover -- an 04 Altima. Scary stuff, and definitely a good white-knuckler. At any rate, we made it home safely. How do people drive in this stuff?!

I went out to get groceries tonight and came back after a block... I was barely moving along and still locked up the brakes trying to stop at the bottom of my street. By the time the car stopped, I had slid almost all the way through the intersection (I live on a hill). That freaked me out, so I came back home -- at least until they get the roads plowed. I was peeling out in every gear. The ABS in the 91 doesn't work (light has always been on). Any tips on winter driving for someone who's never had to deal with it? I'm seriously thinking about ditching these IS wheels for some serious snow tires & chains! :giggle:

I also threw in my rubber all-weather mats. Good thing I didn't put new carpet in yet; guess I'll just wait until after winter.

I barely made it into my driveway tonight with all the ice, and I guarantee my car will be snowed in tomorrow morning when I go to leave. Here's my parking spot behind the house. Lots of snow still coming down. I think the temperature's supposed to be 17 degrees tonight. Welcome to winter!

Here's a shot from along the way. That's my friend Heidi. She was cleaning the windshield and the squeegee busted. lol. (my windshield squirters don't work either!).

Anyway, how do ya like those "custom" snow ground effects and tinted headlights? :D

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
It sounds like you made the best of the situation, and even the right judgment calls on driving. I have driven in snow, but I always just go extreamely slow and brake 4 times the distance before I have to stop.
Later!
Lee

·
I like shiny
14,385 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your makin me nuts!!!! :giggle:

Yeah, we don't get much snow here in Western WA, but I have dealt with driving in a couple inches before. Once time I was driving my bro to school and it was just cloudy and cold, I started driving up the hill and suddenly it was snowing like crazy!! There was a really steep hill I had to go up after I dropped him off. I actually started sliding back down, but was able to re-gain control and creep up the hill. Biggest tip-GO SLOW!!

·
Road Trip King
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue_Raspberry said:
It's dirty.... :(
Lol, yeah, thus the reason it's my winter car. I'd never do that to my 6spd :). And I lied about the temperature; it was actually -5 degrees last night! Guess it's time to make sure I've got good antifreeze! Roads were better today, and I'm kinda getting the hang of it. Had a little fun in the church parking lot, too ;).

·
Victory is fleeting...
5,414 Posts
When I lived in Utah as a kid, I remember it was hot as hell/hot as hell/hot as hell until mid-September, then one day I got up for school and the Wasatch Mountains were white and it was cold as hell/cold as hell/cold as hell! You're just NOW getting snow?

I remember some days were so cold in Utah that if you breathed in through the mouth, your lungs would hurt because the cold air would *almost* freeze on the surface of your lungs...And when you breathed out, the condensation would freeze to your face.

But hey, it was beautiful. :D

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i sure you wonder why you lucky , well i moved to US 5 yeas ago from europe and since than i didn't see snow only on TV and every year i promisse my self i go see snow during the winter ... 5 years later......... :(

·
mods: yes PLEASE!!!!
9,892 Posts
NO FAIR I WANT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO GO SKIEN NOT FaiR!!!!!!! anyway yea i love ur front end its just so :vomit:
Oh and i love driving in the snow i mess around in it SOOOO Much before they plow/ through down salt but yea take it slowely and keep it in lower gears i know u dont have an auto but for those who do d1 d2 and d3 are good for those situations also i suggest u find a parking lot (that hasnt been plowed yet) and seriousely mess around and get a feel for the car in snow . Yank on the ebrake floor it and turn and brake as hard as u want and then to wut ever u want belive me ITS FUN!

·
Road Trip King
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stpidhoser said:
It's magic I tell you.
It truly is. I'm having more fun with this one than I ever did with the 6spd, just because I'm not (as) paranoid about wear and tear, dings, etc. It'll get me through the winter just fine. Just hope I get a chance to wash it sometime! Drives me crazy letting all that caked-on salt do its damage.

^ sent this pic to my friends at my old work. when i quit, they gave me a "wilson" baseball to keep me company (inside joke/long story). he's sitting on my trunk here. also sporting my new license plates! Go Utah State Aggies! gotta show some school spirit ;).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Gosh tyson, thinking of getting snows and chains???? :giggle: :giggle: Suck it up man, you'll pick up snow driving quick. My suggestion, go to a parkinglot RIGHT after it snows, and just have at it. Lock up the back wheels, spin out, everything. After like 10mins you'll be pro (and very little damage to tires since there is snow everywhere). We should have a winter meet, that would be tight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Weak sauce.

MMM...here comes the rust...good thing it's not going to last very long. The Max didn't have a problem in the snow, only when I floored it...fun stuff. The Leg is a front-wheel drive sleigh too, isn't it? You should find me some nice rims for cheap, I don't feel like paying $1000+ (19'').

P.S. Put any new dents in it with your head?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got my Legend on Monday, but unfortunately no exterior mods until after winter :( . I'll start posting my snow pics as soon as I get off my butt and actually do it.

BTW, I'm glad I found this site. I'm really excited about it.

·
Road Trip King
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mehause said:
I just got my Legend on Monday.
Welcome to the Legend family! Make yourself at home here. The forums are a great resource. We've had several successful Utah Legend meets over the past year or two... You'll have to join us at the next. What are the specs on your coupe (L/LS, auto/manual). I want to see the pics :D. Congrats on the purchase.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.