Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about removing the texture from my headlight lenses. anyone know a good tool for doing this? I'm guessing a drill with a sander or buffer of some sort. I havent done any work with glass before so i dont know what could give them a good clean surface.

anyone think this would mess with my lighting pattern too much?
also i want to put some kind of crome enamal on the framing around the bulb inside cause its a unpainted ugly grey color, know any good paint for this? maybe silver brake caliper paint or somthin?

I'm not too worried about the lights dimming at all because i'm going to do the 9007 conversion.

Check out the left lense in this pic, i think the lens might just be removed or just the way the pic was taken but i imagine it to look somwhat similar when done.

you could also do this to the side lenses but you might need some kind of frame to put on the inside so you see the lense light up, not the blub

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive been reading on on buffing glass to find out for myself.

i dont know if this is how it should be done but this is how you get scratches out of glass. just buff out the lens pattern with a drill with a felt disc attatchment, dust like pumace and lots of water.
then buff it again when the surface is flat and hazy with a felt disc and cerium oxide cream untill its crystal clear. Just make sure you use 2 different felt disc and keep them seperate. one little particle of pumace will start you back at square one.

the pumace and the cerium oxide should be availible at a glass shop, and the felt drill attatchment at walmart.

I'll probably try this with a extra headlight lens just for kicks and to see what it looks like, if it looks nice it will become part of my legend. hey, it might look wierd and strange but its somthing special, not somthing bought from a magazine.

Actually.. on second thought i might just go by a glass repair shop and see if they can do it for me :)

· Registered
1,171 Posts
You'll most definitely screw up your beam pattern - the fluting on the lens is what spreads and distributes the light on the ground in front. By smoothing it, you'll just get two concentrated blobs in front, much like driving with two flashlights.

In my opinion, if you're going to spend that much effort in smoothing out the lens, why don't you go one step further and retrofit a set of projector lens / housings in there? You'll get a good beam pattern, and nice cut-off. Maybe even do it with an HID retrofit, or use OEM HID projectors.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you get the crome cap reflector thing and mount it infront of the bulb like other cars with clear lenses think that would fix the pattern?

· Registered
83 Posts
look at an accord head light, 90-93 kind the headlights dont have the filters that spread the light out beacause they have a chrome piece behind the bulb that does it, the beam patter is brutal compared to other cars tho

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i gota replace part of my drivers side headlight so ill take the cover off when i do and do some test :)

· Registered
242 Posts
I took apart my headlights, what a pain, but if you do, you will need a good hot blow dryer, and some small scrapers and some solvent. First remove them from the car(just kidding), you have to take the clips off, then heat the seam until it's all nice and hot, when hot you should be able to pry the glass off the housing, take care not to chip or crack anything. Clean surfaces, I used black silicon because it show's up like a black rim around the lens. Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.