Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Left side CV joint appears to be going bad on the 88 Sedan. I am getting the rotational clicking when I make a left turn (rotational meaning the clicking gets faster as the speed increases).

So my question is how do I tell if it is the inner CV joint, or the outter CV joint? I was told there were two per side, inner and outter.

Thanks!!

-FurBall
88 Sedan
88 Coupe
94 Black/Black 6 Speed Coupe (THE NEW ADDITION to the family!)

·
Registered
293 Posts
When mine went out, the entire L and R axles were replaced. I think you will have to replace the entire side. Don't waste your $$ repacking and installing a new boot unless you are selling the car soon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, this one will be sold soon. That is why I am going to do some work to it.

Why WOULDN'T I repack and install new boots? Can a bad CV joint be driven on for a long time after it starts making noise?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had one repacked and the joint still went bad after about 10-20k miles. If the joint is clicking (an probably sooner) - it's too late to save the joint. However, repacking will buy some time to sell the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there such thing as an inner AND outter CV joint? Or is there only one per side?

·
Registered
583 Posts
one on each end of shaft times two shafts equals four total... see, I do pretty good as long as I can use one hand for countin and one for pointin...:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is an inner and outer CV joint on each side of the car. Outer cv joints will click when turning(when they are worn out)
I listen to the speed of the clicking to tell which one is noisey.sometimes a right joint will make noise on a left turn.
(inside wheel turns slower,slow click on right turn faster click on left turn,worn right joint)you can buy just the outer cv joint from acura, but you can get a complete driveshaft for less going aftermarket.Dont use aftermarket shafts on G2 legends they can cause vibration problems,from the inner cv joints.I havent seen any problems on G1 's. A worn(from leaking boots)
inner cv joint will vibrate under power and the vibration will go away when coasting or criusing.when you replace cv boots change all 4, inner joints will last forever if there is grease in them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts