Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been converting several lights throughout my Legend to LEDs. Mostly, by simply using LED replacement bulb that plug right in with no additional modification needed. My remaining issue is replacing the courtesy lights below the dash to LED.

Given the small size of the bulbs, I assume any similar-sized LED bulb installed would need external resistors attached as well. The only other option Ive considered is adapting a 194 LED bulb & housing instead, probably needing an additional resistor aside from the built in one in the bulb. Im sure some of you have done similar projects, so I'd appreciate your input.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought some high intensity blue LEDs from a local electronics shop. I pulled the buttom dash on both the drivers and passenger side. Drill a few holes in them, 3 on the drivers side, 2 on the passenger. Hooked them up in parallel with 330 ohm resistors and mounted them flush with the dash. They throw alot of light. Would recommend them as an easy mod. I also put 2 LEDs in the overhead courtesy light and 2 in the back courtesy light and one in each door. Very nice blue effect at night, with little power consumpiton and very durable. The whole project only took a couple hours max and cost less than $30 bucks.

Oh yeah, I also put a couple where the stock license plate lights are to throw some blue light on my "TYPE I" plate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought some high intensity blue LEDs from a local electronics shop. I pulled the buttom dash on both the drivers and passenger side. Drill a few holes in them, 3 on the drivers side, 2 on the passenger. Hooked them up in parallel with 330 ohm resistors and mounted them flush with the dash. They throw alot of light. Would recommend them as an easy mod. I also put 2 LEDs in the overhead courtesy light and 2 in the back courtesy light and one in each door. Very nice blue effect at night, with little power consumpiton and very durable. The whole project only took a couple hours max and cost less than $30 bucks.

Oh yeah, I also put a couple where the stock license plate lights are to throw some blue light on my "TYPE I" plate.
I want to keep it looking stock and put the bulbs within the stock housings provided on the panels.

As for the bulbs throughout the car, I swapped out the...
dome lights
map lights
license plate lights
door courtesy lights
trunk light
and side markers...
all with white LED bulbs. Aside from the dash courtesy lights, I will also replace the four 194 bulbs in the gauge cluster with blue LEDs since I changed all the diffusers in the cluster to green. It should match well with my Alpine headunit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds nice. I'd change the dash and instrument cluster lights, but the days of owning my legend are numbered. After 8 years of ownership its time to move on to a new car.

I never looked in the stock housing for the courtesy lights under the dash. I'm sure you could any number of LEDs that would fit in it. Some of those things are really small. Did you replace your bulbs with the same color LEDs or did you pick one colour and go with it? All my interior lights are blue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds nice. I'd change the dash and instrument cluster lights, but the days of owning my legend are numbered. After 8 years of ownership its time to move on to a new car.

I never looked in the stock housing for the courtesy lights under the dash. I'm sure you could any number of LEDs that would fit in it. Some of those things are really small. Did you replace your bulbs with the same color LEDs or did you pick one colour and go with it? All my interior lights are blue.
I changed all the bulbs to white LEDs. It looks really nice, like an updated stock look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.