Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you realize how easy it is to swap a dashboard. you might reconsider about dash replacement, unless you have a black dash and they are hard to find.
its not that, its just I have been spending way to much money on my car lately and the cracks are not that bad.

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,834 Posts
yea I just threw away my old dash mat that I had in my '91. It was terrible and only got worse with time

it served its purpose but it will annoy the @#^& outta ya

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
those are hideous
Yea I had one in the Saab for a while, now it's a garage floor mat! The Z forum has some info on dash cracks:

Dash Crack FAQ

Not sure if the dash 'caps' they mention are available for Legends or can be custom made.

Perhaps a GPS or SR mount? The dash repair kits I have personal experience with are all useless for anything bigger than a couple of mm's and never leave a 'smooth' finish.

EDIT: A friend of mine used this on his 240DL's dash and said it turned out 'decent' (color matching helps), but not flawless. He also said it was a pain to do inside the car a he had to tape/cover up the windshield and used old bedsheets to protect the upholstery.

Dash Repair Kit

·
Completly rebuilding...
254 Posts
hold that mat on...

I got a dash mat years ago when I first got the Legend. I have yet to find a way to adequately secure the mat to the dash. Velcro tabs glued to the dash don't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the dash mat from sliding off?

you should buy a dash mat (i think that's what they're called).

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
^^ non-slip rubber backing for rugs/mats etc you can get at Walmart/Target or any major dept store is pretty good for keeping dash mats from sliding around

·
Completly rebuilding...
254 Posts
^^ non-slip rubber backing for rugs/mats etc you can get at Walmart/Target or any major dept store is pretty good for keeping dash mats from sliding around
Great tip - Thanks! I never thought of using that in this application. Plus it'll leave a lot less mess than the glue tabs.

llloydxmas

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,964 Posts
I used some vinyl epoxy and some ultra black silicone.... I have a black 92 coupe.. Too impossible to find a dash for me. So I used that... It came out great on the little ones like yours but not so good on the grand canyon ones I had all the way across. (from the cluster to the windshield about 1.25 inches WIDE) Ill take some pics for you.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The coupe and sedan dashs are interchangeable within the years and models
(91-93 L,LS or 94-95 L,LS.) That improves chances of locating a replacement
for coupes with low production numbers. I have a sedan dash in my coupe.
Only the dash ID plate needs removal and replacement to maintain coupe
identity; no one will know. I tried the vinyl repair kit; it is okay for temporary
repairs in easily accessible areas. Removing the windshield might make access
easier for some cracks. Replacing the dash is easier, although tedious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.