Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ive been searching through all my tech manuals and resource pages, even called the Acura dealerships and wrecking yards, so i just need to see if you can help me,

the coupes have the same plug and play tranny as the sedans(were talking autos here), however the gear ratios are different, is that due to the Actual gearing inside the tranny or does the ECU control the ratios?

If its the ecu that controlls the ratios then what would stop us from using it in our sedans? the cars are almost identical in weight and distrobution. What do you think?

ECU or Tranny?

I need to find out

thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
The ECU CANNOT have an effect on gear ratios.... Sorry, but it only sets the shift points according to the throttle position...

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not questioning your statement, but i really need to know with solid proof of somesort.

the gear ratios that are differnt between the coupe and sedan are in fact diferent gears within the tranny?

How do you know if that is true and applies to the legend?

I really need to know with certainty. i can tell you that both trans are identical --or interchangable when instaling in either car.

Thanks CDNDVL

·
Registered
270 Posts
The ONLY way that you could have a different gear ratio between the two in terms of gear ratios is to change the gears... The gear ratio is determined by calculating the loss of motion due to the gears... Eg. a ratio of 4.31:1 means that the engine will end up turning 4.31 times to every revolution of the wheel.
You may change gear ratios by swapping out certain gears to give you a certain final drive ratio, but it has to be done physically... NOT by computer...
As long as the bellhousings fit, you can swap trannies, or even possibly swap out the gears (Swapping trannies would be easier), but that's the pretty much the only way... Unless you want to change the overall tire height, and find a way to make your speedo work properly again !!

It's the same as a manual transmission... Every time you change gears, you change the ratio...
eg:
1st =4.31:1
2nd=3.25:1
3rd=2:1
4th=1:1
5th=0.85:1...

Hope that helps a bit... I know it's not what you wanted to hear though...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
OK even without a reminder I remembered. After going through pages of part #'s all trannies are the same as far as I can see. Even the gear ratio of the diff assy are the same between manual and auto even though the cases are different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts