Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its down to about -15 to -20 tonight, I left my car at 5pm and went to start it at 1am (8 hour math review tutorial, crazy) Anyway, wouldn't start, tried to turn over and then the starter just clicked. Got it boosted worked fine, same thing happend last week, left it in my garage over night, wouldnt start in the morning.

Last year around the same time, because I remember doing it in the driveway in the freezing cold, I changed the alternator and the battery.
Replaced the battery with a spircal cell, 650CCA, Canadian Tire's above average, but not high end battery..like $130.

So I'm thinking, the battery is either crap and just quits when its cold. Or something is draining the battery, but only when it gets really cold out. I've heard of the fan timer thing turning the fans on, but would this be related to temperature, like in my case?

The only other thing I have is a cd player, an amp (which both turn off) and an alarm/starter.

I've had no problems like this in the warmer weather, so its obviously temperature related.

Im guessing its the battery, and I think it has a nice 10 year warranty, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks, its really pissing me off, espeically trying to get a boost at 1am in the friggin cold.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sounds like your battery. My G1 used to eat batteries in that they would not last more than three years and just quit. So I decided to get one with a three year over the counter replacement and a pro rated warranty of 9 years.
The Energizer from Walmart. Even if the battery quit in the fourth year, for less than half the price of a replacement I get a new one. Sweet.

The kicker is that it was still cheaper than CT or anyone else for that capacity. I got a 900CCA model though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pacallen said:
Get a 5 speed and then you wont need power for the starter :).
I wish, there is a nice white 90 coupe for sale in my area...only $4200CND same km's as my car and probably doesn't have this stupid hesitation problem that mine does....need to get a hold of a vacuum tester this week!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And just like I would've expected, the damn receipt got lost/thrown out, when we moved into our new house! Not only do they want the receipt, they want the product warranty brochure with matching serial number!!!!!

I can only blame myself, I know. :(

Question though, if I bring the battery for them to test, will it matter if its charged or not? Can you test a charged battery to see if its bad? I mean if I charge it, its charged and its not frozen, so it will work. I dont know how these testers work, but it shouldn't matter if the battery is charged or not right?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I charged it for a few hours, enough to start the car, took the battery in to get tested. They told me, its working fine but has a weak charge. Then I looked on the wall there is a big memo "Battery is only warrantied with reciept and valid warranty certificate".

So its back in the car and I'll have to wait for it to happen again I guess.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I found the culprit..well sort off.

It wouldn't start this morning, but with the ignition in the ON position I heard a noise coming from the engine. One of the rad fans (passenger side) was spinning, not very fast, as the battery was fairly drained, but it was turning.

So I am assuming its the fan control unit on the ECU. But I noticed that when looking between the Throttle body and the distributor there is a small sensor (kind of looks like a spark plug) coming from the block. The wire is pretty corroded and Im wondering if this is the temp sensor and maybe its causing the problem.

Im going to do some more looking around, but at least I have an idea of what it is now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obviously its not a spark plug! Grey, do you really think im THAT dumb. It looked like one, meaning the shape, and size. I thought it was a temp sensor and you say it is, but not the right one. You're making me feel like an idiot :( hehe

I need this clarified, someone said that only 1 of the fans is used for the actually engined rad, the other is used for the AC. My AC doesn't work (belt is removed).
Which fan does which though? My passenger side fan is the one that is running, if this is the AC fan, I am just going to disconnect it as it serves no purpose.

Anyway, the EGR isn't throwing any codes and doesn't bog as much, but it still doesn't feel right. I think Im going to end up buying a new one eventually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.