Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, after noticing my temp at high.. and a fat puddle of coolant on the ground, i opened my hood to see/hear this..

going to try and take it in to get looked at tonight.. but incase i get lied to, id like some input from any fellow enthusiasts..

is it time for a new rad?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Most places will charge you 1.5 hours of labour. If you want, you can go to my mechanic in Brampton. He changed mine for $90.

It is possible to replace it yourself, but it may take longer as it is hard to do it while the car is on the ground.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i thought it was pretty easy...a coupole of screws a few hoses and clamps,...JetDOC gave a great suggestion that i used was to not take the fans off until after you get the RADIATOR OUT OF THE CAR...
but also it is easy enough for any local mechanic to do that has any idea what they are doing...

·
Livin Legend
275 Posts
It costed me $50 bucks to get my radiator fixed...they take it apart ,rod it, weld it back together and pressure tested it....If you can get a aluminum radiator that would I would go for....

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips guys, this is something id love to do on my own if i could ever render the confidence.

It costed me $50 bucks to get my radiator fixed...they take it apart ,rod it, weld it back together and pressure tested it....If you can get a aluminum radiator that would I would go for....
this sounds like some specialty work.. im not sure how i would go about finding someone who would do this for me, but that sounds like an unbeatable deal!

just a question tho, why is aluminum so important?

i thought it was pretty easy...a coupole of screws a few hoses and clamps,...JetDOC gave a great suggestion that i used was to not take the fans off until after you get the RADIATOR OUT OF THE CAR...
but also it is easy enough for any local mechanic to do that has any idea what they are doing...
did you follow a DIY of any sort? or can you eyeball everything that needs to be done?... could you tell me where you got your koyorad from?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I got my rad from Mitoi Auto Parts in Brampton. I thoroughly examined the radiator before buying it; it looks exactly like the OEM one - its plastic and aluminium. You can order the Koyo radiator from eBay but it will take a while; not sure if you want to wait if the rad is in bad condition.

The mechanic is pretty reliable; I take both of my cars there. Its a ghetto place in Brampton but the guys know what they're doing and they let you watch up close.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Go-part.com

i say aluminum as they also have a copper option that costs more...and when i spoke to them, the "speialist" stated that copper takes longer to lose heat than aluminium....

I can't complain at all about www.Go-parts.com...tough to get them on the phone, but service and shipping was A+...

the go-part.com web address is to the radiator is :

91 92 93 94 95 ACURA LEGEND AUTOMATIC Radiator KOYO A1278

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I paid $167 for the radiator incl. taxes. Koyo from eBay would end up costing about the same with shipping. I always buy my own parts and pay labour to have them installed.

As for the Koyo radiators, I have a strong suspicioun that either Koyos for Legends are made by someone else or Koyo supplies radiators to other manufacturers. Mine is not a Koyo but looks exactly like one. When I needed a rad, I was not able to find a Koyo locally. I even talked to Koyo dealers in the GTA and I was told that Koyo rads usually run over $300 so the ones being sold online are probably made by another company and sold as a Koyo.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I bought mine from Advance autoparts it is a ready-rad(#432277), which is also proliance that was available at napa(might still be?). It is aluminum core and plastic tank like oem and has a lifetime guarantee. It's been over 18 months since I changed the rad and thermo(def oem) and no problems at all. I suggest that if it's alot cheaper on the web then go for it, and if not a big diff just go to your local autoparts store, it'll just be faster and easier all way around. Good luck

Here's a link to the one I bought: While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the site is go-part.com ...not go-partS.com

the radiator was 140. and that included shipping...link to web site is also below...
http://go-part.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_61&products_id=5137
thanks for the info man.. are these guys based in the us? cant seem to find out from their site.. if so, it might take too long to get here :/

I paid $167 for the radiator incl. taxes. Koyo from eBay would end up costing about the same with shipping. I always buy my own parts and pay labour to have them installed.
hey tony, do you have a part number or anything for the rad ?

I bought mine from Advance autoparts it is a ready-rad(#432277), which is also proliance that was available at napa(might still be?). It is aluminum core and plastic tank like oem and has a lifetime guarantee. It's been over 18 months since I changed the rad and thermo(def oem) and no problems at all. I suggest that if it's alot cheaper on the web then go for it, and if not a big diff just go to your local autoparts store, it'll just be faster and easier all way around. Good luck

Here's a link to the one I bought: While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
good to hear everything is running smooth after 18 months, did you do any of the work yourself? if not, how much did the shop charge you? thanks for the link!

·
Registered
91 Posts
radiator replacement

I have replaced the radiator in my daughters 93 coupe a couple of times..
for the most part, simply poor quality control these days with products (no matter what the badge) comming from China, India, Phillipines, Mexico etc..
core leak on first one, had repair done rather than wait 2mo for their alleged lifetime "warranty" repair, paid 20 or so for the resolder and pressure test. Second one (sent to me after I raised my voice a little) worked fine for 2mo, then leak at top tank seam (again, poor quality control) not enough solder at the tank and core. had it resoldered (properly) and pressure tested. Yes, you would think that you would get a reasonable product delivered that is fairly built, truly, not these days. I remember when you purchased a Modine (staple of the industry) you paid about the same (150 or so) and received a product that was well put together, now, Modine is simply a badge, made by whomever makes Koyo etc etc. Oh well.
Changing the rad, is a real pain, messy. Automatic trans?? disconnect the lower rubber transmission lines, fluid will leak out so pinch off OR put a golf tee in the lines when you remove them. Lying on your back, on the ground you will see the lower rad. hose and clamp. put pan under lower hose, disconnect it, at same time unplug the temperature sensor wire at the lower part of the radiator. Your almost ready to "pull" the radiator at this point. move to the top of the car, disconnect upper rad. hose, and support brackets (including those to the throttle assembly) use common sense, work slowly. the radiator simply lifts straight up, but, as you will notice, its a tight space and requires some "finagleing." I have done this by disconnecting the fans first, and also by pulling the entire assembly with the fans still attached...try the latter first...if the fans make it to difficult (heavy) disconnect them and push the assembly back out of the way and pull straight up. Again, use good sense, if something is "caught or hung up" stop and find out what it is. did you forget to unhook something?
I have a 2 row "CSF" brand radiator, copper core, all metal, for what its worth. paid about 170 or so here in CA. made in Indonesia I think...for what its worth, Copper is about the best conductor of heat you can get..

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have replaced the radiator in my daughters 93 coupe a couple of times..
wow thanks so much for the info there!
i really want to take this project on myself so i can learn more about the mechanics of my car..

i just spoke to my mechanic down the road and said he would swap mine for $60. i guess it goes without saying now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.