Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe yall may know this or not but i just found a new way (new to me) to decarbonize clylinders, tail pipe ect. I heard this from a friend and found resources all over the internet saying it was safe and more effective than chemical cleaners. the only problem is theres a rumor that a giant chunk could possibly come off and lodge in a exhaust valve while its closing and bend or break a valve but i couldnt find anyone who had actually seen it happen. im pretty sure its possible, carbon can be like rock somtimes but its probably very rare.

all you gota do is run a qt of water into the intake, through a pcv hose or other line VERY SLOW!!! i'd imagine if you put as little as a ounce at once you would cause extreme damage to the engine due to the fact water doesnt compress very well at all. just use a needle for a basket ball or somthing to suck the water up with, or use a spray bottle. its good to give her some gas to avoid hydrolocking it.

basically the water flash boils when combusted and steams off carbon on the piston heads, cylinder walls, exhaust manifolds and muffler, it wont work for anything before the combustion chamber like tb or intake manifold

i dont know what this would do to a cat since i dont have one and didnt bother looking into it. i'd imagine its not good though.

im gona try it today and see what happens, im at 180psi 13 off factory spec right now so after this i hope to get some auto rx and clean the back side of the pistons too to see if that will improve compression.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i stumbled upon some more information... dont do this on a system with a cat.. if any pieces come off in flakes they will clog it up

· Registered
658 Posts
NAWZ is much better than water. Won't do anything for the exhaust but you'll be amazed at how clean the cylinders are when looking through your new block inspection port(s).

· Registered
647 Posts
slartibartfast said:
NAWZ is much better than water. Won't do anything for the exhaust but you'll be amazed at how clean the cylinders are when looking through your new block inspection port(s).
:giggle:

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it would only blow a hole in your block if it tried to compress an extreme amount of cold water like hitting a puddle with a cold air intake, more than a tablespoon at once would bend/break valves, rod bearing and rods or slip the timing belt, what im saying is spray myst from a sprayer, not nearly enough to compromise compression, if theres any increase in compression its probably less than 2 psi.

btw, if anyone does have a cold air intake there is a company that makes pressure rated spark plugs, so the plugs insulator will blow out relieving pressure and killing the plug and not the engine.

anyway, it actually blew black smoke out the tail pipe, the pistons still look like they are covered in carbon, but i can actually make out the letter B imprinted on on the head at TDC and small parts of aluminum are actually visible, before they looked like oreo cookies. havent done a compression check on it yet to see if it helped any

· Registered
1,693 Posts
cigarettcancerman said:
it would only blow a hole in your block if it tried to compress an extreme amount of cold water like hitting a puddle with a cold air intake, more than a tablespoon at once would bend/break valves, rod bearing and rods or slip the timing belt, what im saying is spray myst from a sprayer, not nearly enough to compromise compression, if theres any increase in compression its probably less than 2 psi.

btw, if anyone does have a cold air intake there is a company that makes pressure rated spark plugs, so the plugs insulator will blow out relieving pressure and killing the plug and not the engine.

anyway, it actually blew black smoke out the tail pipe, the pistons still look like they are covered in carbon, but i can actually make out the letter B imprinted on on the head at TDC and small parts of aluminum are actually visible, before they looked like oreo cookies. havent done a compression check on it yet to see if it helped any
Decarbonizing will LOWER compression on any engine UNLESS the carbon is on the bottom of the valve causing them to not seal properly when closed.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, carbon will increase psi. the thing about it is the increase is unstable and can very between cylinders. its also the 2nd leading cause of blown heads and piston ring damage (1st being overheating). I could have actually dropped a few psi but also could have gained by decarbing my exhaust valves and maybe a little off my piston rings if lucky, ring leakage it most often caused by carbon, removing the carbon somtimes helps depending on if the rings were damaged by it yet.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oyea, my dad just got a new air compressor so i will be investing in a leakdown gauge soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.