Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
I have been a lurker here for many months gathering lots of information on my 95 legend. Long story short...I bought the legend and it turned out to have a BHG. I took the car to my acura dealer and had it diagnosed, The mechanic said he didnt get any signs of a BHG from the exhaust test....But when he did the compression test on the motor....It was a BHG.

This was in november, I now have an extremely bad oil leak coming from god knows where? The car still runs good besides misfiring bad everytime it rains and im considering buying a 99' Accord manual trans and selling the legend for someone else to deal with.

But, Spending 4grand out of my checking account on the accord hurts my brain so im now entertaining the thought of rebuilding the legend motor. (Paying someone else to do it) The Acura dealer wanted 3500 just to do the head gasket...Which is obviously outrageous.

So Im looking for peoples thoughts on this situation,

How much would it cost to rebuild the engine good enough to get another 100,000 miles out of it?

Is it even worth rebuilding with all the cooling system problems with these cars? I have seen rebuilds on here that went bad;(

Keep in mind, I have a family and need a reliable vehicle for my wife and children.

I have already put the legend on craigslist, But now im reconsidering.

1995 Acura Legend / BEST OFFER TAKES IT

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
I had a bhg a a major oil leak from the rear main seal. I had a reputable import mechanic do the hg, rear main seal, timing belt and water pump plus a couple of other minor things, for right about $2600. The dealership quoted me about twice that. It was worth it, my car is running so good now!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Joe,

There are folks here who specialize in BHG repair and have it down to a seemingly fine science,...once its done, its done...OK, until next time anyay...

my recomendation for you is to Ping Mike Diaz, his prices were very reasonable and the excellent work was done in a weekend....you have to get your car to Ohio...I did, from Va. and have not regretted it one bit...

i have posted my story, its all in here somewhere, search..., hang in there, it gets better...

EDIT: YMISOQT....that is my ride in your sig, right down to the the rims...classic black ( or is that green?) "stock"...timeless...excellent taste, i like your work!

·
Registered
814 Posts
My '91 has about 270,000 miles on it. I drove it with a leaking/seeping HG
for about 90,000 miles. The HG repair was combined with a timing belt, radiator, hoses, water pump and brake master cylinder job for about three grand. Not cheap, but the car runs great and is more powerful than when I bought it at 47,000 miles. I am aiming for 350,000-400,000 miles. I would hope for more, but rust will do me in. Let's estimate 100.000 mile after a $2000.00 repair; how many years is that? for you" and would you be happier in the Accord? The Acura will still need repairs; they are not inexpensive to
maintain. How is the interior; how do you like the ride?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Joe,

There are folks here who specialize in BHG repair and have it down to a seemingly fine science,...once its done, its done...OK, until next time anyay...

my recomendation for you is to Ping Mike Diaz, his prices were very reasonable and the excellent work was done in a weekend....you have to get your car to Ohio...I did, from Va. and have not regretted it one bit...

i have posted my story, its all in here somewhere, search..., hang in there, it gets better...

EDIT: YMISOQT....that is my ride in your sig, right down to the the rims...classic black ( or is that green?) "stock"...timeless...excellent taste, i like your work!
Thanks! Sherwood green. I need to get an updated photo, as I just had my windows tinted and new paint :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 6th gen Accords are EXTREMELY reliable; I owned an EX-V6 Coupe before I got my Legends and I really drove that car hard, I mean almost everyday I would run it up to the redline (well as far as the auto tranny would let me) as well as drove regularly over 100MPH (again, almost every day). After 7 years with that car I never had to do anything to the engine, other than the routine maintainance. In addition, the 4cyl/5-speed combo is even more reliable and cheaper to fix than the 6-cyl. I had.

In my opinion unless you get the Accord coupe I would keep the Legend and even that is a stretch; I personally, find the Accord sedans of that generation very uninteresting. Its just one of those cars that kind of blends into the background, on the other hand the Legends have a very classy and IMO timeless look to them. Also, the Legend motor is so much more fun to drive than the 4 cyl in the Accord and the 6 cyl. models only come with autos.

If you like the Legend I would just find a place that can do the work for cheaper and have it fixed. Personally, and on second thought, ALL things considered if I had the choice I would not go back to any Accord, even my top of line model Accord V6 felt cheap in comparison to the Legends I own.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you really like the legend and want to keep it but don't want to spend a whole lot to have someone fix it you could always find a temporary car and try fixing the BHG yourself. If you have never worked on cars then it is a little risky but it is a good way to learn all about your car. This is just an idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Reply's!

Thanks alot guys,
Well Im not going to buy the accord because I just went and bought a 90 accord yesterday! This car is frikken hilarious! I got it with 184,000 miles for 800 bucks and NO RUST! Peppy little F22A1...Needs exhaust,Brakes and power steering pump.

Now this is not exactly the family car I was looking for...It does buy me some time to figure out what to do with the legend....and allow me time to save money to get the wife into somthing really nice. (Which is what my goal ultimately is here).

I really appreciate everyones replys and I have tryed contacting mike diaz..But no reply yet. So if you see this post mike hit me up,Im near by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts