Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did the DROP....G1 Instructions

Got the rest of my parts in today and just had to put them on.
Never mind that it only got up to 35 today for the high.... I still was outside on my concrete carport putting suspension under the L.... :D
I promised pics etc, they'll come tomorrow... was froze by the time I got done...

BTW if you don't have air tools and you work on your own stuff, GET THEM. They save "so" much time and effort... I couldn't have done all 4 corners today without them...

after the HOT shower took the wife to the local Pizza/Pub in the newly lowered L and had me a (couple) Guiness on tap.... ahhhh.... Life is good...

·
Registered
30 Posts
help me

I bet your legend is nice cant wait to see the pics. So how long did it take? Did someone help you? I tried to do it myself two weeks ago and i just didnt know where to start, i even had the manual from pep boys. Anyways what i want to ask is can you help like write me on so easy steps and tools needed, how much time it would take and tips to make it easier on myself? I would be very thankful indeed! Email it to me if you can [email protected]
thank you!:)

G

·
Yes, this is why I can't wait to get Acura-Legend.com going because we will get tons of DIY guides up there. Even though it will take some fun out the forums ;) hehe

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figure that it dropped 1.25" in front, and 1" in back, so far. Usually after everything settles in it should drop a little more.
What I used:
Intrax springs, Front and Rear
KYB struts, Front
Stock shocks, Rear (gonna put KYBs on there also)

It actually rides better than stock. It handles pretty well, although it's hard to determin exactly what did the most good, because within 3 days I put on Strut Bar, Suspension, and 17" wheels/tires. I also plan to do some urethane replacement ont the rubber bushings.

USE THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK: You have to have a little mechanical aptitude.... get a book to look at the pics helps too. Keep in mind mine is a 1988 Legend Sedan, other years and Coupes are going to be a little different.

Now, How To Drop Your G1 L:
Jack up one end at a time using jackstands (legs are a good thing to keep).

FRONT INSTRUCTIONS:
Remove the (1) bolt and (1) nut and link assembly parts from the sway bar (so the hub assembly will drop);
Remove the 2 brake line brackets from the Front Strut ;
Remove the (1) bolt and (1) nut at the bottom of the Dampner (Strut) Fork;
Remove the (1) Pinch Bolt at the top of the Dampner Fork (it pinches the strut into the fork);
Remove the (3) Nuts at the top of the strut (under the hood);
AT THIS TIME DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER (1) BOLT, IT WILL LAUNCH THROUH YOU AND YOUR HOOD!
Wiggle the Strut out of the Fork;
Remove the Strut and Fork from under the car;
Use the Strut Compressors (one on each side of the spring) that you borrowed from AutoZone (or bought, or stole, whatever) to compress the spring; (you don't have to compress the whole thing, just most of it...)
After the spring is compressed remove the Center Bolt at the top of the Strut allowing all the top seals/bumpers etc to come off.
Slowly let the spring compressors back out;
Remove the Spring from the Strut;
(this may vary) Place the metal dust shield and necessary spacers from your Old Strut on your New Strut;
Attach the spring compressors to the New Spring (one on each side) and compress the spring;
Place the New Strut in the New Spring;
Use your Old Strut top seals/bumpers etc on the New Strut in the same order they were on th old one;
Tighten the (1) Center Bolt; (very firmly)
Remove the spring compressors;
Replace the New Strut/Spring assembly into the wheelwell;
Attach the (3) Nuts at the top of the New Strut Assembly;
Slide/Wiggle the fork back on the New Strut Assembly;
Replace the (1)ea Dampner/Strut Fork Bolt/Nut at bottom of fork;
Replace the (1) Dampner/Strut pinch bolt;
Replace the (2) Brake line brackets;
Replace the Sway Bar linkage parts;
Replace the wheel, and do the same to the other side.

REAR INSTRUCTIONS
Jack/Jackstands etc.
Remove the (1) ea Bolt and Nut from the Sway Bar;
Remove the (1) ea Bolt and Nut from the Brake Line Bracket;
Remove the (1) Pinch Bolt from the bottom of the Shock on the Hub Carrier; (looks like the front kinda)
Seperate the Hub Carrier from the Shock;
(If changing shocks:) Remove the (3) nuts on top of Shock assembly (in the trunk under the carpet up top);
Pull the shock out the bottom;
Remove the Center Nut on the Shock, save reuse mounting assembly/seals etc.
Place mounting assembly/seals on top of New Shock;
Replace Center Nut on top of New Shock;
Remove the Spring by bouncing the hub, and wiggling on the spring;
Reuse spring seats (plastic and rubber at top and bottom of spring);
Replace New Spring/seats back in spring mounts on the Lower Arm and top mount;
Replace New Shock, (it only fits one way) installing (3) bolts at top;
Wiggle/(beat) Shock back into Hub Carrier;
Replace (1) Pinch Bolt in Hub Carrier;
Replace (1) ea Bolt/Nut on Brake Line Bracket;
Replace (1) ea Bolt/Nut on Sway Bar Link;
Replace wheel and do the other side.

It took me about 3 hours by myself in the cold (slow) but I had an air compressor and air wrench (fast).
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to try to be through. Hope it helps some of you.
Good luck,
buk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man, I'm hoping that the front will settle a little.
Either that, or next set of tires I'll go up to a 45 series to help fill in the gap a little...

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Car looks hot !!!

Good job- I can't wait to do mine :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
thank you

Thank you so much for all the step by step info. I really needed that, now i have a better look at things when i install my coilover adjust. drop kit. Your ride looks to nice are you going to put an after market exhaust on it? Keep up the good work and if you have any more ideas email me or post it! Thanks again!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took me about 3 hours.

I forgot to mention, local auto parts stores had the strut "kits" for the front if your seals/rubbers are tore up...
I didn't need any though.

I am planning on doing a cheap 2 1/2" cat delete exhaust when the weather warms up a little. Got all the stuff in the kitchen right now.... :D
man, I'm lucky my wife loves me....:D :D :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your car turned out really good. Those rims complement your ride nicely!

·
Registered
386 Posts
HEY BUKOWSKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your sedan looks tight. The only thing I would suggest is that you go with a 225-45-zr17 when you purchase your next set of tires. I believe they will fill up the wheel wells better and give your car that little something extra. When you get the chance to REALLY she how she handles let us know. I'm sure we could all benifit from the input. One more thing tell your wife that all of us on the forum sends a special shout out to her for being so understanding when it comes down to modifying your legend. We all know how women can get when their man pays so much attention to his car. You are truly blessed.:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the KYBs pretty well. They absorb better than the old stock ones did. Still getting used to it tho. Only about 100 miles so far... Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bukowski...

Looks great. Now I know what mine will look like in about 3 weeks (with the exception of the tires). What's the skinny on the strut brace? Where, how much, etc?:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the brace is still a work in progress. I'm still planning on tying it into the strut mounts, it's currently tied to the upper A arm bolt, not that it makes a bunch of difference, just a little more strength.

yup, next set of tires will be a little bigger. looking toward 225/45/17s.

still gotta sell the Rear Tokicos so I can pick up matching KYBs then gonna rig up a Rear Strut brace after I redesign my sub-box.

got lots of plans left for my 88, but it's comming along nicely now.
Thanks for all the kind words,
buk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts