Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, last month I changed the oil seal that goes between the differential and the inner driveshaft (yes, I know that there's a DIY and I read it, no need to link to it). I had trouble installing it because the old oil seal didn't come completely off. It was leaking, but only a few drops. Now there's actually a puddle when I pull out of the driveway, and yes, it's differential oil. I'm not going to attempt trying to repair it myself again so here's what I want to know:

How many hours should it take for a mechanic to do the job? I know that the driveshaft has to be removed, but is it standard that they have to remove the differential too?

I'm going to call Acura tomorrow, but I would like to know what to expect before I make an appointement.

Thanks.

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hotstartup said:
i think flexible.
I bought the seal from NAPA and it was rigid (metal ring inside with a rubber coating). I couldn't flex it whatsoever. When removing the old seal, I had to scrape and pick it off but never removed a metal ring. Either there is none in the OEM one, or it's still stuck deep in there.

Can anyone confirm that the OEM differential seal is malleable (flexible)? my Acura dealer is of no help, it took them over 10 minutes to find the part number and still can't get an estimation on how much time it takes to replace it.

Thanks.

· Registered
4,119 Posts
Can't help you with a visible description of the seal. The seal replacement through Acura is about 5 hrs. Cost of the seal is approximately $12.00. THe differential is removed from the vehicle.

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did ask them for the seal and it is $12, but they disconnected me when I asked how much it was for service...

I just don't really have the time to do this myself, and don't have the money to let someone else do it, right now...

Has anyone successfully changed it without removing the differential?

Thanks for the replies!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.