Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I had a poor experience with Radiator.com that resulted in two problems. Here is the story.

On Friday of last week I found a hairline crack under the filler crack on my radiator. I had been in the middle of diagnosing 'near-H' or 'almost overheating' events where my temp gauge often went close to H (4 or so times on a 50 minute drive). It turns out I found this crack and I immediately call the dealership.

Acura quotes $480 for their new radiator and if I want some labor to go with it, I would be set back ~$800.

I call up radiator.com and they tell me they'll get me an OEM radiator for ~$160 by Saturday. I side with radiator.com (had a good experience so far) and call up an indy Acura mechanic. He quotes me $90 for labor. I thought all I need to do is buy Honda/Acura coolant, by a new cap for my car and I'm saving ~$500. Not bad.

Saturday comes and goes. Radiator.com failed to ship the item meaning I had to miss MORE work to take my car in on Tuesday to replace the radiator.

On Tuesday I get a call from my mechanic. "The cap you gave me does not fit on this radiator." "What?!?" I thought. "An Acura part for my 92 Legend not fitting on my 'OEM' radiator?"

I immediately called up radiator.com. "Well it is an OEM radiator, its just made by a different manufacturer." WHAT!?!?!?! In my books OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Her comment to me was the same as saying "Well it is platinum, its just sterling silver." It doesn't make sense, at least to me…

I got :vomit: BSed and that was the end of that phone call. Ends up, yes the radiator fits in my car, but this is not original equipment. We had to buy ANOTHER cap to fit this OTHER radiator made by 'Samsung.' I might add there were no markings or company signatures or anything on this radiator when I pulled it out of the box.

So there it is. I ended up getting a measly $10 refund for shipping, but that is it. What are your thoughts? Where do you think I can go from here?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Sorry to hear of your difficulty. I believe several past posts have made reference to the need to use an aftermarket cap with a non-OEM radiator. The only means of buying an OEM radiator is from an Acura dealer or a seller of Acura (Honda) parts at discount. Anywhere else is an aftermarket unit built to OEM specs, and as you are now painfully aware sometimes the aftermarket specs are not close enough.

I have always recommended a Modine radiator for replacement as I have found that the Modine company makes aftermarket radiators which most closely resemble OEM in terms of specification for Asian vehicles. The Modine will accept a Honda/Acura OEM radiator cap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.