Acura Legend Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anyone ever replace the EGR filter?

That picture breakdown earlier in this thread shows an EGR filter. I just tried to order one from AoA, but he wasn't looking at that same picture and couldn't find it. Maybe that is for a different car??? Seems like this would be very important to replace because if it is clogged up, that's the same as any other clog in the system. Not good at all...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm... very interesting article.

Hi all, this is my 1st post, yep a 'newbie'.
I am new to cars, since I never had one before, and my wife thought it good to get a legend. I just preferred a Honda.
It is a 1989 sedan model (Aust).
I have only seen about the E.G.R. system on the owners manual p72. Couldn't see any diagram's in the book or on an "1988 Legend Coupe Workshop Manual" with updates for 1989 too. But the thing is, that I could not find a sedan version (it is a html version/ pdf).
I am not that technical with cars, and I will have a friend help me out in a couple of weeks, once I get a better picture / understanding of what needs to be done. i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Or would it be better to take it to a mech?
According to the records, I have not seen it been fixed/ inspected.

On another note, I have noticed that a few of the Legends have the extra lights at the bottom (from pictures in this forum). Which rectangular kits are recommended? I have some electrical knowledge, so I might give that a go in the future. I have only seen the "Focus Driving Lamp Kit" made by SCA, and available through 'super cheap auto' in Melbourne. (rectangular, not round). Should I just buy the kit and take it to an electrician?

And one last thing... ( I know, I should start a new thread), how common is it to get holes in your exhaust pipe? I have it booked for Wednesday to change a piece, and because of the bottom shielding, of which he was going to throw away, he will spot weld it back :-( better than throwing away since there are some low level places that the car actually finds... aka poorly made uneven humps.

Thank you to all that reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
will this cause smog failure?

:sadwavey: the pipe being clogged up. does that cause it to fail smog. i heard thats the case with my car.. just wanted to know before i take my egr apart..

ive replaced...

-air filter
-cat converter
-spark plugs
-oil
-oil filter

and ive ran engine fuel system cleaner through it. ive even tried alcohol and still didnt pass smog.. everything ran great except my NOX it was 1664!

·
fa2blk
31 Posts
Thanks guys :). Got really lucky with taking these shots. It's so dark back there.
i would like to know what kind of syptoms were your cars giving you to check the egr valve for clogging? was the engine making any type of noises? or just getting a check light on the dashboard?

·
Registered
12 Posts
question on the egr valve filter...did you guys replace yours?

you guys didnt mention anything about the filter and i didnt see any pic of it...in the helms...it says to replace it...i want to clean out my egr soon and since im taking it off i might as well change the filter also...

heres a pic...
this pic shows you ur egr.. if you Dont have a CAT on ur car.. sadly this pic is for early European models..
if ur car is a US car.. then u wont have this filter..
if u want one for ur car WITH CAT.. the easiest thing to do is to go to your dealer and ask them to print you out a copy.. its page 275 i think?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
if im cleaning my egr valve do i have to replace the gaskets? and is it possible....possible, to do this without taking the intake manifold off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
if im cleaning my egr valve do i have to replace the gaskets? and is it possible....possible, to do this without taking the intake manifold off?
yes.
replace the gasket.. its $5 from autozone
might as well..
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
this is your EGR system.. part no. included
take off the tube on the back of the valve.. it gets clogged.. so clean it..
when i did mine.. i used methanol.. though carborator cleaner works well too..
use a wire brush to get the hard to reach areas..
don't get the electrics wet..!!!!!!!!!!!!
i actually got 1 from the junk yard and cleaned that first .. so i knew what i was doing b4 i did mine..
and yes you can do it without taking off the intake..

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
this is great now i can take on my type r badging :lol: i hope this takes care of my sluggish or lagging on full throttle. and this would also help on some slight engine vibrations? this is after i had done an oil change, spark plugs, oil stabilizer. i will still go ahead and clean the egr valve but if this doesnt work i will go ahead and check the packs

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hey guys does cleaning the EGR valve improve fuel economy? Hope this is relevant, I've been looking through the egr articles but there's not much info. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clogged EGR pipe ===> High NOx??? HELP

I'm a new member. I would appreciate greatly any advice on my Legend 95 LS failing VA Emission test. The test shows very high NOx (almost 2000). My mechanic suggested the following:

1) Clean the EGR - I did. He did not clean the EGR pipe yet
2) Use 10-40w oil (instead of 5-30w)and add one Anti-smoke can. I did as he suggested

The result is the NOx level went down to 1400+. I still fail the test.

Does cleaning the EGR pipe help with the NOx result? I will ask the mechanic to take apart the EGR and EGR pipe to do a good cleaning if this helps. Thanks1

PS: my 95 Acura Legend has 238K miles, never have EGR cleaned.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hey were you guys able to get an air rachet on the nuts holding this EGR together or did you have to get the racheting wrenches in there? I'm going to try today thought I'd check thanks alot

·
Registered
766 Posts
Black Type II,

Thank you for your reply! Does it harm the engine if I'm using 10-40W oil instead of 5-30W oil?
I'm no expert but I think the heavier oil will lube fine except for very cold temps, I am using 10 40 in mine and the car runs great, even around 25 degrees so far, no dry starts from what I can tell.

The heavier oil will help the oil seals and rings do their job and thus the reduction in emissions, the lighter oil will reduce friction and thus better MPG

I'm sure there's a little more to it with this engine, but what I've heard is if you're high miles and smoking abit it's good to go 10 30 or 40

·
Registered
3 Posts
MXHalofan,

Thanks for your reply.

My car cannot pass the VA emission test. The mechanic thinks it's the engine valve seal. It's going to cost me lots of $$$ to fix. He think I should replace the engine with a low-mileage used engine. The labor will be much less. Any advice? Thanks!:angel:

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
MXHalofan,

Thanks for your reply.

My car cannot pass the VA emission test. The mechanic thinks it's the engine valve seal. It's going to cost me lots of $$$ to fix. He think I should replace the engine with a low-mileage used engine. The labor will be much less. Any advice? Thanks!:angel:
if u do an engine swap go get a 3.5

·
Registered
68 Posts
This was a mother F&*#er to do. But thanks for the DIY because I would have been lost on trying to fix this thing. I recommend cleaning out all parts as you have mentioned and the check engine light will come off and the damn engine (at least for me) runs with more freaken power!!! Once again thanks for DIY!!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts