Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i just bought a fuel pump from ebay for 45 i hope thats a good price and am waiting for it till tuesday to change my fuel pump. can some post picture as to where it is and if you've changed it, can give me some pointers. thanks all for your help. i've read fuel pump on this site for nearly 2 hours now. the problem is that my car wont fire up, it'll crank but wont start. i think it is my fuel pump. furthermore, i have another problem. my engine oil is leaking. is there a way to solve this problem or do i have to give up and take it to the shop to fix the leak. thanks so much for everyone's help. also i read alot of diy fuel pump posted here but no pics and i'm not really a car person. thank you all you pros out there.

·
Registered
707 Posts
hi all, i just bought a fuel pump from ebay for 45 i hope thats a good price and am waiting for it till tuesday to change my fuel pump. can some post picture as to where it is and if you've changed it, can give me some pointers. thanks all for your help. i've read fuel pump on this site for nearly 2 hours now. the problem is that my car wont fire up, it'll crank but wont start. i think it is my fuel pump. furthermore, i have another problem. my engine oil is leaking. is there a way to solve this problem or do i have to give up and take it to the shop to fix the leak. thanks so much for everyone's help. also i read alot of diy fuel pump posted here but no pics and i'm not really a car person. thank you all you pros out there.
I haven't encountered a fuel delivery problem so I can't help you out on the diy, however, I might be able to help out somewhat.

First off have you listened to see whether the pump is coming on, you could do this two ways:
1. Turn the ignition to the position before cranking, have radio and any other distraction off, and listen for a bit of a whine coming from the back(means fuel pump is coming on).
2. Put the ignition in the same position as previous and check the electrical connections using the manual to identify the right wires to check because it could be the pump or the main relay(even the switch, but it's rare).
Also you can check the fuel pressure.
Btw the fuel pump is located under the rear seat, at least on coupes, think it should be the same on 4dr.

The oil leak must first be identified. Clean the engine top to bottom then look fror the leak. After you do this then someone could help you with the next step. Oil leaks can be practically anywhere, Valve covers, oil pan, rear or front seals, cam seals, oil pump or cooler seals, etc. Also could be from your differential seals(from the tranny to diff or at the inner axles).
Good luck

·
Making Legends Rare.....
1,443 Posts
manxdr21 there is a good chance he wasted $45.00 anyways.

If your engine cranks and doesn't fire, did you first try starter fluid to see if it catches?

I would put money your problem is the Main Relay.

If the main relay is faulty then neither the fuel system or spark will function.

·
Registered
707 Posts

If your engine cranks and doesn't fire, did you first try starter fluid to see if it catches?

If the main relay is faulty then neither the fuel system or spark will function.
I would've tested before buying, but no use crying over spilt milk, right. I wouldn't have even bothered with the starter fluid, just my ears and my multimeter. Most of the tests are fairly easy, usually just harder to get at the parts then anything else. The injectors, resistor, igniter, coil packs, relay, fuel pump, and fuel pressure are amongst the easiest things to do to this car. I know because I tested at least 75% of all my sensors and elec. when I swapped my tranny not to long ago.

Just be patient yenracer, read up the online manual and start testing some of the things I suggested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i dont understand the part where you say did you first try starter fluid to see if it catches.

ok so i went to turn on the key postion 2 and it does the typically beeep beep beep but i dont hear anything from the main relay or the fuel pump. i think you are right about the main relay but still i'm gonna try to change the fuel pump because it's an old car.

man i wish i had some of you pros check out my problem, i really like looking at cars and TRYING to fix problems, but i am not a car person for some reason, whatever i touch gets destroy. you guys are awesome and devoted acura lovers. peace all and i'll let you know my results on tuesday.

if the solder points are ruined can you fix them or do i have to cough up some money to buy a new one?

also any precaution i should take when installing the fuel pump? i know i will probably tackle the fuel filter too and those pics from other members will total ly help me out. with all this trouble i feel like selling this car but i like the car so much and the engine is still running strong that i am hesitate to sell it. would you guys sell the car if you guys encountered so many problems with this car?

i'm sorta stuck as to if i should invest in repairing alot of these problems.

can one of you fellas take a picture as to where it is, i have a good idea where it is but would like to make sure.

thanks guys for your quick reply, and with school starting i want to get this thing over with.

man i wish you guys were here to check out my problems because i love cars and TRY to fix cars but it seems everything i touch seems to break and i love this forum. you guys are awesome and i appreciate all your help and you guys are truely acura lovers. peace and i will tell you my results on tuesday, hopefully i dont end up hurting myself fiddling around to try to fix the problem. i think with everyone's guidance i can do it. take care everyone

·
Registered
707 Posts
i dont understand the part where you say did you first try starter fluid to see if it catches.

ok so i went to turn on the key postion 2 and it does the typically beeep beep beep but i dont hear anything from the main relay or the fuel pump. i think you are right about the main relay but still i'm gonna try to change the fuel pump because it's an old car.

man i wish i had some of you pros check out my problem, i really like looking at cars and TRYING to fix problems, but i am not a car person for some reason, whatever i touch gets destroy. you guys are awesome and devoted acura lovers. peace all and i'll let you know my results on tuesday.

if the solder points are ruined can you fix them or do i have to cough up some money to buy a new one?

also any precaution i should take when installing the fuel pump? i know i will probably tackle the fuel filter too and those pics from other members will total ly help me out. with all this trouble i feel like selling this car but i like the car so much and the engine is still running strong that i am hesitate to sell it. would you guys sell the car if you guys encountered so many problems with this car?

i'm sorta stuck as to if i should invest in repairing alot of these problems.

can one of you fellas take a picture as to where it is, i have a good idea where it is but would like to make sure.

thanks guys for your quick reply, and with school starting i want to get this thing over with.

man i wish you guys were here to check out my problems because i love cars and TRY to fix cars but it seems everything i touch seems to break and i love this forum. you guys are awesome and i appreciate all your help and you guys are truely acura lovers. peace and i will tell you my results on tuesday, hopefully i dont end up hurting myself fiddling around to try to fix the problem. i think with everyone's guidance i can do it. take care everyone
Start by reading this section in the online manual then follow the directions, just hit the next button to go through the pages. It has the relay test, fuel pump test, etc.
here it goes: Acura Legend Online Service Manual (Page: 0250)

·
Making Legends Rare.....
1,443 Posts
The fuel pump is going to be "Much" harder to change out than the Main Relay.

A dealer can get you a main relay for $60 to $90 or you can get one on here for around $25.00 that has been fixed.

The Main relay is located under the left hand side lower dash panel all the way to the left.

Pull your lower dash panel (under the steering wheel) and it becomes very easy to see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright guys, here is what i've done,

1. i just replaced the fuel filter, that was sorta easy
2. now i'm trying to replace the fuel pump. i think it is located in the trunk right in the center behind the rear seats. i remove the access cover and see 2 sorta round thinggie with nuts so i disconnect the two wires. i think the fuel pump is on the left which is the driver side. i did not touch right circle one. please can someone confirm that this is the fuel pump.

furthermore, when i removed the big nut i smell fuel and the fuel comes out is that suppose to happen. shown here http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/yenracer/f1.jpg

also, i disconnect the battery and open my fuel cap.

now i am scared because as i am opening that nut i see fuel coming out and i got scared so i tighten that back up. please help guys, i want to get this done.

sorry if the image is bad because i dont have a camera and used my cell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for your reply man. i dont have internet so when i fix my car at my apartment and have quesitons, i have to run to the library too much hassel but since you said that the the fuel comes out of that nut is normal then i will finish up the installation of it. it's been awhile now since the fuel pump has been replace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts