Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much a do-it-yourselfer with all aspects of my car, and I've done all kinds of assorted engine work and even some light body work. I've never painted anything myself, however. Just recently I got into an accident and it effed the hood up real good. So I got it hammered out all right, just needs some paint. So I figured I might as well do it myself. If any gurus could give me some insight on stuff like what paint to use, necessary equipment, stuff like that, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
449 Posts
first and probably most important of all is a clean room (paint room) vacum sealed for best result. A tiny little partical lands on the paint during the drying period can cause the whole thing..... How ever if you're just painting the hood of your car and you think you can find a room that's super clean. Or even if your garage can be sealed off some how then I guess you'll be ok. If you're painting a dark color like black I'd recommend bringing it to a shop where they have a clean room. But if it's white you can probably get away with a little particals. As far as paint I'd recommend dupont. Don't use enemal paint, the ones that are preglossed. They suck and don't shine a bit, you can basically use any brand for color as you like but use dupont or PPG for clear coats. PPG is what the dealers use but dupont cost more and is way more shinier. I'm not an expert in this but here is what I remember they did to my car.... first you have to sand down the whole surface to be painted. Then you primar the whole surface let it dry. Then you put like 3 or 4 layers of the color paint on. Very thin layer each time. After that you shoot the clear coats over. Try not to leave any dripped paint if there are any you'll be able to sand them down at the end. After the clear coats then you wet sand everything again using super fine sand paper with water. Basically do a small area at a time and keep that area wet as you're sanding... after everything is sand down and is smooth you buff it up to a shine... If u don't go through the wet sand process you'll see lumps on your paint and they look ugly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One small trick to keep the dust down is to hose out the garage right before you paint. The floor should be wet while painting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts