Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if they(lets say 17 inch wh.) slow the car down any or take away any HP or gas mileage?
I know they're heavier than stock but how much do they affect our Legends?
thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
They do affect the overall performance of the vehicle.
I have 17" chrome wheels and my gas mileage is low, 15-18MPG.
I am contemplating on purchasing a set of alloy wheels, the Mille Miglia EVO, to replace my heavy chrome wheels.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
92Legendary_L said:
I was wondering if they(lets say 17 inch wh.) slow the car down any or take away any HP or gas mileage?
I know they're heavier than stock but how much do they affect our Legends?
thanks
When I compare weight of wheels, I assume the same size and similar model wheel.

Chrome wheels are heavier than the standard silver, gun metal, and/or aluminum wheels. Even some steel stamped wheels are lighter than chrome.

Most users of chrome are going for the flashy look, not the performance.

·
Banned
2,930 Posts
they say that chrome is heavier, but when i had my gs chrome rims sent back to me after they were chromed, they felt lighter to be honest. 17's will slow down the car regardless. chrome may effect it, but our legends are running 12's or 13's in the quarter, so it doesn't really matter. you may see the difference you may not. personally i don't think the chrome rims will slow down the car, i think the only way you'll be able to tell is if you time the car. the difference will really matter if you bend a chrome rim as opposed to an alloy rim. chrome you can't fix, alloy you can, depending on how bad the bend is.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
jigga622 said:
17's will slow down the car regardless. chrome may effect it, but our legends are running 12's or 13's in the quarter, so it doesn't really matter.
You're a bit optimistic on the quarter mile.

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
"our legends do 12-13 in the quarter"

lol man i duno abt yours but mine sure doesnt.............i dont think any legend has ever broken into the 12's yet..............at least not that i have heard of..............there might be 1 or 2 running 13-14 tho..................

and with chrome rims on??? lol yah rite.............

·
Banned
2,930 Posts
hahaha may fault i meant to put "aren't". well i think DV8's legend in the 13's or something. thanks for correcting me though

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you have heaver wheels and larger diameter your launching will guaranty to slow down, but once the wheel have momentum high speed is more stable and performance will probably be the same if not better but no decrease. That's what I've heard

·
Registered
580 Posts
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

U guys are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrome, or atleast when its done in the white fashion has no bearing on weight! If its done right either new or re-chrome the amount or layers added is so insignificant that it will not even add up to .5 lb.

I weighed my GS rims before chroming and after and there was no difference in lbs (my device does not measure in 1/10's)

Anyways, those rims you see with chrome both on the outside and inside is a JOKE!

No need for chrome on the inside or for that matter on the inside of the wheel rim lip area, if anything it should just be the Nickel plating thats dull.

I just had a set of NSX rims chromed and even though they are lighter than the GS wheels they seem even to be lighter than when I sent them out.

I think that when you do aftermarket chrome, the amount of rim material they etch off the rim is replaced with the same amount if not less than what was on the rim before.

So please do not think that chrome wheels affect your cars ability to perform in anyway.

Unless your getting CAKEY Chrome wheels which by most chances are already heavy steel or aluminum to begin with.

Call any chrome outfit that does chromeing of wheels and ask about the added weight and its NILL.

Dont bother trying to change my mind on this, I have been close to this subject for 2 years, and either your getting inferior chrome rims or its all in your head.

Hope this info helps

Regards, James

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
James S,

I agree with ya, been telling people for years that chrome plating does not drastically affect the overall weight. When I had my SSR GP-O DeColtes, everyone was asking me, why the hell did you get those heavy azz wheels? I just look at them with a crazy look and said I'll bet you my chrome 18" 3-piece with SSF technology weighs less than your 17-18, never had a bet.

It's a stereotype of sort. People see those heavy Chrome 1-piece Lexani, Alba, Giovanni, etc.... and think that all chrome wheels must be heavy. In reality it's the makeup of the wheels that determines the weight; Steel, aluminum, 1-piece, 2-piece, 3-piece, forged, cast, semi-forged...

If anyone remember or knows Viet Lam of Honda Pro in So. Cal, he raced his car on Chrome Volk Racing TE-37 and was always in the 9 and 10s.

Spread the word and end the stereotyping. :D :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Chrome adds a negligible amount of weight. The down sides to chrome plated wheels are:

1) they require more maintenance than clear coated rims. chrome tarnishes easily, so frequent cleaning is a must if you want to keep the shine.

2) nickle is brittle.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The only argument I will pursue is the fact that where I live and maybe where U live too is in a Salt zone, ie salt air. I live in Florida and things down here tend to get corrosive if your within even 5 miles of the Beach/Ocean.

We cannot always cover or garage our cars and certainly the wheels.

My point being after living down here some 30 years, I have seen all kinds of 'Clear Coated to Machined wheels get quite nasty over a relitively short time, especially when the clear coat is breached and moisture gets in behind it and starts the oxidation process which you see through the clear coat as dark veins over your nice silver or what have you wheels. The same goes for Painted which tends to do the same, but is not as near as bad.

Chrome seems to be the logical choice for now, since all wheel finsishes can chip peal or crack. Chrome just seems to hide the flaws more so, and still cannot beat the flair you get with chrome wheels and the maintaince is well worth seeing your favorite chrome wheel attract attention or make your car stand out from the others, now when I come to think about it, chrome is getting so popular on all vehicles from compacts, to SUV's I some times think that a new design must be somewhere close on the horizon.

In any event, your point being well made, the only argument here is that Chrome does not reduce performance in anyway that I know of, and Pure racing is not meant to be so flashy, meaning an ugly tuned car can blow away the best of the best lookers.

I just want to know if chrome's properties are not so wise, and is the racing curuit not using them due to something like bad Heat dissapation? cause that is the only thing I can think of right now.

I mean, I have seen and been to alot of WarBirds Airshows and it seems that many of the aircraft use chrome or highly polished Aluminum for both looks and duribility to withstand the elements.

Again, it all depends what wheel make your running with, and not all wheels as stated in this thread state.

I noticed the OEM 16" GS rims are lighter than most, but if looks is what you want over minor (very minor) performance loss from a heavy rim and you race, than stick with a light rim to begin with.

A car with 16" rims can easily beat a car with 18" rims of the same
make and model and wheel type. Its all in the PowerPlant setup
as I know you all know.

I decided myself to stay with more of the OEM look, and going to install a set of NSX 7 spoke rims (THAT ARE CHROMED!) and are very light (something like 2 to 3 lbs lighter than the GS rims.

Hey I like Chrome but not too much, I mean I dont have a chrome Toaster in the house, Do YOU?????????????????;)

Regards, James S :D :D :D :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:
if you dont want a "heavy chevy" type of wheel...stay away from the Lexani and other full face wheel models...go for the Enkei, Konig or other models...most Lexani in an 18" are over 32lbs each!
Word, I have Nichis and they are toooooooo heavy!

·
Registered
61 Posts
just to add my two cents in. I have a set of 1995 legend 15" rims sitting in my garage and i just got in my 17" chrome wheels. neither of the wheels have tires on them so i decided to weigh them. The 15" rims weighed in at 24 1/2 pounds while the 17" rims weighed in at 26 1/2 pounds. So there shouldn't be too much of a difference performance wise between the two.

i am getting my 17's mounted on friday, and i will post pics then.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
legendohio said:
just to add my two cents in. I have a set of 1995 legend 15" rims sitting in my garage and i just got in my 17" chrome wheels. neither of the wheels have tires on them so i decided to weigh them. The 15" rims weighed in at 24 1/2 pounds while the 17" rims weighed in at 26 1/2 pounds. So there shouldn't be too much of a difference performance wise between the two.

i am getting my 17's mounted on friday, and i will post pics then.
Those weights sound very high. 24.5 lb is really heavy for a 15" rim.

My 15" OEM rim + 205/60/15 Michelin MXV4 = 36 lbs.

My 17" rim + 215/45/17 Pirellis = 40 lbs.

Try to weigh your 17" rim and tire after mounting the tire.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yea I would have to agree, my stock OEM GS 16" rims without tires are only right at 20lbs

check to see that your weighing the rim on the edge if your using a bathroom type scale.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
James S said:
Yea I would have to agree, my stock OEM GS 16" rims without tires are only right at 20lbs

check to see that your weighing the rim on the edge if your using a bathroom type scale.
20 lbs is still high for a 16" rim. My 17" rim is 18 lbs, not the greatest, but not that far off of the >$400 rim market.

How much does your GS rim +tire combo weigh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.