Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was wondering, my 89 legend auto is past due for a tranny fluid change, i read that it should be flushed, how do i go about doing this? Do i just keep changing it with like regular tranny fluid, then the 3rd or 4th time i change it with honda transmission fluid and i'm all set? I'll be doing this on tomorrow, technically today cuz it's past midnight, but yeah... so if u guys can post a tutorial on how i should go about this, i tried searching and one of 'em gave me 'ELI's' hints, i guess is that what i'm supposed to do? I have a bunch of dexron tranny fluid laying around... so anyways guys just help a brother out ;) and tell me what to do step by step, thanks!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
get Honda ATF.
do drain and fill.

then next oil change, do the same.

repeat one more time and leave it like that.

that'll get most of the dirty ATF fluid, and is best for your tranny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So drain and fill is basically changing it twice in a very short period of time right? And should i use honda fluid for the first one? That ****'s kinda expensive :D hehe anyways, i'll have my dad do it, he thinks u dont need to drain, or anything, can u guys possibly add some type of procedure if you guys got some time later on, on how i should go about doing this?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Drain and fill 3x - drive a few miles between changes. Use Honda ATF every time! Think about how much a new tranny cost and the Honda ATF is cheap. This is not an expense to be compromised. I bought a case (12 quarts) at the dealer and they gave me 10% off. Legend will take at least 3 quarts each drain and fill.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, hehe thx, but one last stupid question, so basically i just change the tranny fluid 3x, that's what drain and fill is right? Sorry for all these questions guy, appreciate your help

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I would do it every oil change....

That way the "new" one mixes w/ the old one and the old particles "get attached" to the new fluid, then you do this a few times, but drive the car normally, and it worked flawlessly for me.

Doesnt take that much extra effort, since you're getting an oil change anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm... every oil change as in approximately every 3k miles?! Doesn't the tranny fluid need to be changed every 30k miles, and the engine oil needs to be changed every 3k miles?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Omied2k said:
Hmm... every oil change as in approximately every 3k miles?! Doesn't the tranny fluid need to be changed every 30k miles, and the engine oil needs to be changed every 3k miles?
3x FLUSH
1x flush every oil change.

When you do it 3 times , 9000 miles, you're done.

Then replace it next year after that. (dont follow that 30k mile recommendation, that's crap)..

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Please do not confuse the terms "change" and "flush"

Change- Drain out all the fluid you can and refill to capacity
Flush- Use machine to circulate and remove all old fluid. Fill with new fluid.

When you do a simple drain, you only remove part of the old fluid. That is why you need to do it more than once. The flush gets rid of all the old fluid at once. Either is effective.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehe alright, to get a complete FLUSH, do only mechanics do that ****? Or can i take it to like good year, or jiffy lube, or AAMCO?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Omied2k said:
Hehe alright, to get a complete FLUSH, do only mechanics do that ****? Or can i take it to like good year, or jiffy lube, or AAMCO?
AAMCO sounds like they should be able to do it. Just call around and ask. I had mine done at the dealer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The reason Jose3030 says to do it each oil change is that each tranny drain and fill replaces only 33-40% of the fluid. I did the math and by the time you do 4 drain and fills you have diluted the original tranny fluid to just under 10% of the total mixture. I ended up having the complete flush done at a local K-Mart/Penske auto shop using their Dexron and converting it to Honda ATF using a product called Smart Blend. If you do a search on "4X" you should find the do-it-yourself fill and drain described in detail as it has been posted here before. If you still can't find it send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy of it.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
vince said:
Please do not confuse the terms "change" and "flush"

Change- Drain out all the fluid you can and refill to capacity
Flush- Use machine to circulate and remove all old fluid. Fill with new fluid.

When you do a simple drain, you only remove part of the old fluid. That is why you need to do it more than once. The flush gets rid of all the old fluid at once. Either is effective.
When I said 3x flush, I meant 3x drain + fill.
Sorry for the confusion, kids.

-J

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and i couldn't find it under 4x* I used * because it needs atleast 3 char's, so hehe, tell me wut to do now...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol, damn that's fuggin expensive hehe, i'll just let my dad do it i guess, and i'll help him a bit and shiz like that

·
Registered
94 Posts
hmm ok guys...so the legend is my first car ever...but mine is a manual tranny...my homegirl needs her tranny fuid changed REAL bad(its THICK and BLAAACK) and i was just wondering how'd you figure out how much ATF you need and do i pour it in the ATF dipstick hole thing? cause i can't seem the find anyother way for it to go in. thanks a lot...oh and her car is an ol skoo volvo should it help you any. (o;` thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts