Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a JVC double-din unit which pumps 16x4 rms, 40x4 peak. That with JBLs all around sounds pretty sexy, but I need more thump. I'm gonna add a 5 channel amp, which is 40x4 + 150x1 rms, with a 10" sub. I'll then probably wire the head unit to pump some tweets in the front. My only question is this. Will I need a capacitor? How much amps can the alternator handle? THanks

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Man you got a long way to go before getting a capacitor.
At least another 800 to 1000 watts. Usually the rule is, if it exceeds 1000, you need a capacitor.
Im putting a pretty large quantity of bass in my trunk next week, and i still dont need a capacitor. Im runnin 200 to the door speakers and 500 @ 4 ohms and i still dont think i need one, if i do, just half a Farad.
Anyway, you shouldnt need one
Peace
Tnelson

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea, I would agree. I have close to 2000 total watts in my car and i'm only running a 1 farad cap. I don't think you will need anything for your application. Here's another tip: if you install all this stuff and your headlights and stuff start blinking when the bass hits, a capacitor WILL NOT take care of this problem. You'll just learn to live with it. HAVE FUN!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts