Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought up a scenario to a friend that occurs and has occurred for quite some time, but I just kind of ignored it. He concluded right away that I needed new struts.

18" TSW REVOs (30 lbs/each)
OEM Struts (most likely the originals)
OEM Springs (most likely the originals)

While driving, the steering wheel will at times tend to shake from left to right, though I can still move in a straight line. It mimics the symptoms of the need to balance the tires. This symptom just as well does the same thing at certain speeds, but the interesting thing is that it doesn't do this over the same road material. This is random. I have noticed that when the road is straight, the bumps seemingly straight where it appears both front wheels ascend and descend from the bump and the bumps in the road seem equidistant, the vibration disappears. Now, if it were a tire balance issue, the vibration would occur all the time at 'X' MPH (usually above 60mph, depending on how unbalanced the tires are) no matter the bumps, etc.

TIRE BALANCE - CHECKED (and perfect)
A bad balancing act? After about 750 miles, the vibration returns, but not consistently.

WHEEL HUB SENSITIVITY ?
According to the service bulletin for the Wheel Hub, it all in all senses points to the balance of the tire in addition to the tightness and the alignment of the wheel with the mounting points and so forth. Now, the machine that they recommend using, I found one time and I asked them to follow the spec exactly. This seemed to remedy the situation for about 1000 miles before it returned.

BAD STRUTS ?
I was told that a dramatic increase in the weight of a rim and its tire can have an adverse affect on the performance of the strut, therefore weakening it, etc.

The thing about this is, I haven't noticed any noticeable differences in performance, but then again, I've never had a car this large, have never owned a V6 powered vehicle, and have never had the chance to drive anyone else's Legend to know if what I am feeling while I am driving is correct.

What do you think?
What do you think? Do I have bad struts?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Please always post mileage. Are the tires wearing atypically? When was the last time you had a 4 wheel alignment? Have you run into any deep holes and perhaps damaged a belt? You could also have a defective belt in a tire. Kickback thru the steering wheel is usually indiative of steering component wear. Check the tierods, balljoints, rack play and rack mounts. If the vehicle has over 80,000 miles, the struts (dampers) should be inspected for leaks. Weak struts will provide symptoms of excessive bounce as well as tire wear. Start with an alignment which should, at a minimum, be performed yearly. A competent tech will ID any worn suspension parts.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LPB said:
Please always post mileage. Are the tires wearing atypically? When was the last time you had a 4 wheel alignment? Have you run into any deep holes and perhaps damaged a belt? You could also have a defective belt in a tire. Kickback thru the steering wheel is usually indiative of steering component wear. Check the tierods, balljoints, rack play and rack mounts. If the vehicle has over 80,000 miles, the struts (dampers) should be inspected for leaks. Weak struts will provide symptoms of excessive bounce as well as tire wear. Start with an alignment which should, at a minimum, be performed yearly. A competent tech will ID any worn suspension parts.
A) Bought @ 79000 miles, now @ 96000 miles. It has done this symptom since I bought it. The original owner stated that the tires just need balancing and it fixed it for a while, then came back. When I went back to the guys to get it re-balanced, they said it was perfect.

B) 4-Wheel Alignment did at 60000 mile service. The car does not move in any one direction, it moves perfectly straight. There is no visible or noticeable uneven wear and tear.

C) The rims were bought at 75000 miles, so the tires have 11000 miles on them. I have rotated and a balanced them since I bought the car every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your last alignment was 36,000 miles ago. You need another. Not knowing who performed the last alignment, seek out the best alignment facility in your area. The Legend's wheel balancing must be "dead on". There is a TSB pertaining to wheel balancing.

It is also possible that the Hub bearing(s) are worn although I have never heard of anyone having to yet replace them. This can be checked with a dial-indicator.

At 96,000 miles you are reaching the upper limit for OEM damper life-span. You need to have the dampers checked for leaking. Problem could also be a worn out upper damper mount/bushing.

From your original description of the problem if I had to "guesstimate" I would begin with the tierods. Again, a competent alignment facility will ID any worn suspension/steering part.

When this problem is eventually diagnosed and corrected, please post back so that we may all learn.

·
Registered
699 Posts
LPB

I have 18's on my coupe and im having pretty much the same symptoms as asianlegend, but my two rear tires got alot of wear and tear on them and are now bald while my 2 front tires are still in good shape. all 4 tires were bought together and put on at the same time...any ideas as to why the rear tires wore out s ofast? thanks.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Re: LPB

Acurate420 said:
I have 18's on my coupe and im having pretty much the same symptoms as asianlegend, but my two rear tires got alot of wear and tear on them and are now bald while my 2 front tires are still in good shape. all 4 tires were bought together and put on at the same time...any ideas as to why the rear tires wore out s ofast? thanks.
If both rear tires are wearing out faster than the front, I would first suspect a bad alignment. The first question is what is the pattern of wear? Is it uneven (scalloped, more inside vs outside wear)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the tires are scalloped I would say it's the rear toe, which is easily adjustable at any alignment shop. However, if they are wearing on one edge more than on the other then you have a camber problem which isn't so easily adjustable. There are no stock adjustments for camber on the rear of our cars but I think there is a camber kit available. I may be wrong on this and I'm sure there are others that have done more research that will put in their two cents worth. Good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.