Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing a major tune up my self. Problem is, the only Do-It-Yourslef work I've ever done was changing headlight bulb, changing air filter, and washing the car. I don't even have the tools and I'm afraid that I might crack the engine block while changing spark plugs. I've only taken one basic mechanics course just for fun my first year in college.

Do you guys think I'm paranoid? Should I do it or play it safe and pay extra to have a professional do it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
88 - doing a tune up is surprisingly easy on a 4 banger civic. You can learn from a how to book but you need a few tools. On a luxury 6 banger like the legend there is a bit more to it so I wouldn't choose it to do your first tune up. Some mechanics will let you watch but they might charge extra:) If you're really interested take a night course. The money you'll save and pride in doing a tune up is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It depends on what you are including in the tuneup. I've learned everything on my Legend and so far so good. Spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, PCV, rotor and cap, O2 sensors are all DIY. I have not changed any belts and probably won't - leave that to the pros. If you plan on doing much work, go ahead an order a Helm service manual. I ordered one Tuesday.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ask aruond the fourm's for someone in your area willing to give you a hand with your tune-up, you should get a torque wrench when working with spark plugs, just so you dont strip the plugs, and not tighten it enough.

Im from santa clara, CA
Have our own shop at a friends garage

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's up to you, but there is really nothing to it... You need a Philips head screwdriver for the Ignition cap and rotor, a spark plug socket, short extension, ratchet, and gapping gauge for the spark plugs, 12mm, 17mm and 19mm wrenches (preferably line wrenches) for the fuel lines, and a 12mm soket for the fuel filter bracket.... Oh, and a manual wouldn't hurt either !!!

Plus, with a Helm manual, you can find a good mechanic and "loan" him your manual when he works on your car... That way you know he is working out of the correct book !!

It's entirely up to you...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Then IMO he would not be a good mechanic... You should always follow the book unless you know the car and you know of a good shortcut that the book fails to mention...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Books to learn with

I just received a ACURA Service Manual for my '88 from an Ebay auction ($35.00). After using it, I would gladly give $100.00+ for it.
It is great and helps quit a bit.
I wouldn't be afraid to jump in feet first, but you should have a little guidance... ie "where's that [email protected] PCV valve?" The book will show you it's dang near in the center of your Legends universe (motor) in 3d space.
Tune ups are cool and get you familiar with wrenching. Just don't blow your dough on parts that don't need to be replaced. The book will walk you through testing those parts (which may still function perfectly) you were going to just throw money at.

Any way, if you have any questions and I can help, let me know.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congrats Bukowski !!! I love my Helm too !!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts