Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about putting a 60 shot of nos an my car, but I have about 240,000 miles ....I was thinking about getting the engine overhauled just to be able to take nos,Have anybody rode in a legend with nos????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Hey Kevon, whats up man! Wow, 240k miles, your still 110,000 over what I have, lol.

If your really interested in NOS, I'd say at least get your engine rebuilt or build it up. The only reason i say this is because your engine does have high miles and adding any more stress could cause the bad things we know about.

If you really want to try it, at least do a compression test, change your plugs (look at your old ones for foulness and replace with colder plugs for the nitrous). Compression test will make sure everything is up to norm. Chris Moody should be able to give you a few more pointers too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Honestly Kevon (and I know, once again, I'll catch hell for this, just like last time)... but the Legend is a really delicate car (I don't care what anyone says, it's delicate...!) and when you treat it like a Civic on steroids, stuff can go really wrong. I'm not a big fan of nitrous, and it's for a good reason (if you want a good reference point, read the argument in the thread about someone having 150K on their Legend and wanting to run NOS... Ricdogg and I got into it over that one!) But truthfully, why destroy a perfectly good car? I'm not saying that something will go wrong, but it most likely will really hurt your car... The only NOS system that I would run is the Venom kit, because it allows you to use your laptop to program the system around your car (no crappy jets, ghetto fuel devices, etc... like on the other kits)...

Of course, I'm used to taking the time and researching what really works and what doesn't... If you want to have a little fun, yeah you could throw in colder plugs (I run two steps colder on my Mitsu, and that's with a turbo, no NOS), check your compression (leakdown), and also check your fuel lines/fuel filter... also, plan on buying a SAFC and of course checking your injectors... With the AEM EMS, you could actually program your fuel pulse so that when you are on the bottle, everything would most assurredly stay rich and nice, but then again, that's an extra $1300, on top of the NOS kit that you pick.

In all honesty, I think that you should invest your money where it really counts for speed - that GenII Rex that you have... you put $3000 into that, then put $6000 into your Legend, and I promise you, the Rex will still mop the floor with the Legend (as far as performance goes...)

Hope everything works out if you do the NOS kit... if you need help, talk to me or get Leon to call me, I'll help you out with tuning and fuel (and I guess install if you need it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
NOSzle... hmmm... I'll look it up. That sounds like a pretty interesting product. Is it self-learning? or is it user-controlled (to an extent)?
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
RICDOGG said:
hehehe

Have you seen NOS new "NOSzle" product....that junk is off the COUCH!!!!
I think this system is in a way superior to the VCN 2000 system....& for about the same price...why not try it

:D :D

http://www.nosnitrous.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSzle.html
I just read the first page, so maybe I missed something, but it looks like this kit is strictly a WOT application like all the other nitrous systems. You can't use it in a linear mode like the Venom kit. Or in a timed mode like the Venom kit. If I were to get nitrous, I would be using it in a linear mode the majority of time since I rarely drag race. The Venom also uses your stock injectors for fuel management which I like. Computer controlled nitrous IMHO is the only way to in in todays high tech world. I kind of worried about using a direct port nitrous kit in a Legend.
 

·
88 sleeper
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
ChrisK said:


I just read the first page, so maybe I missed something, but it looks like this kit is strictly a WOT application like all the other nitrous systems. You can't use it in a linear mode like the Venom kit. Or in a timed mode like the Venom kit. If I were to get nitrous, I would be using it in a linear mode the majority of time since I realy drag race. The Venom also uses your stock injectors for fuel management which I like. Computer controlled nitrous IMHO is the only way to in in todays high tech world. I kind of worried about using a direct port nitrous kit in a Legend.
im a little confused. If you primarily drag race, what else would you be at than WOT??
& if i could do it again id do the Venom system..but i like how it injects additional fuel in addition to the regular injector cycle...rather than relyin on the injectors to pull the duty by themselves..other than that it makes the injector look super sexy
hahaha

also you could utilize a progresive controller (i know..MORE MONEY) or a RPM act switch (not as much money)

other then the horsey in the pic...i think the NOSzles look segzi :)
grrrrr baby VERY GRRRR

 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
You are lost

95Legend6Spd said:
I'm not saying that something will go wrong, but it most likely will really hurt your car... The only NOS system that I would run is the Venom kit, because it allows you to use your laptop to program the system around your car (no crappy jets, ghetto fuel devices, etc... like on the other kits)...
You seem to be confused, and the worst part is that you're misleading people. I don't know anybody who's running a NOS kit (and left it alone) who's had engine failure. It doesn't sound to me like you know anything about NOS from those comments. Here is a quote taken directly from Hollley's website.........

"Only nitrous is a part time power increaser. All of the standard performance parts put additional stress on the engine and burn more fuel all the time; not to mention what a pain it is to ride around town with a lumpy idle from a camshaft that is barely streetable. Power on demand is one of the great things about a nitrous system; it only works when the driver wants it. All the rest of the time, the engine operates normally; no extra stress, no extra fuel use, and no driveline problems."

NOS kits are the only kits with options. A Venom kit is for amatures. It does everything for you, and that's why people buy it. That's the point in buying from NOS. You can start with a kit that they've already put together (5123), and then make changes along the way. If you decide you want a timer, bigger jets, different fuel mixtures, or whatever. You can do it. They have tons of interchangeable and upgradeable parts. And any kit needs to use "crappy jets" to function at all. A jet is what puts the nitrous oxide into the air stream, so I don't know where you pulled that from.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
RICDOGG said:


im a little confused. If you primarily drag race, what else would you be at than WOT??
& if i could do it again id do the Venom system..but i like how it injects additional fuel in addition to the regular injector cycle...rather than relyin on the injectors to pull the duty by themselves..other than that it makes the injector look super sexy
hahaha

I made a typo. It should read I rarely drag race. :) Thus, I rather have the linear mode over teh WOT.
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
NOS

Authority!


When anyone here shoots as much NOS as ive shot(82 10lbs bottles) then ill kindly take my place out of this discussion.

NOS is a good alternative if you dont want all power all the time and the headache acociated with it. Also is great for users that dont have any other means for going fast cheaply, like us Legend owners.


If your Legend is mechanically sound at whatever Miles then shoot a 60 of NOS and keep that engine feeling Young.


As for the NOssLE system, its direct port without the work. Awesome idea but real $$.

1300 for a 6 cyl kit, id rather stick with my Dry kit and use the money for headers. It doesnt matter how efficient you make your car run with NOS, if your car cant exhale as much as it breathes or breathes as much as it exhales, then you wont see much change and you may cause yourself some engine fatige due to heat.


~Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Bread-

I've run a NOS fogger system on my Cutlass for years... but there's a little bit of a difference between a built V8 and a 3.2 Honda motor... do we have custom HG's for running NOS - NO... do we have iron block and heads - NO... what we do have is stock HG's and aluminum alloy blocks and heads... I've ran nitrous on my V8's for years (and I know that I'll get the "But this isn't about V8's, get with the technology" diatribe from people), but (here's where I get assy about this, because I'm tired, had a rough day, and also found out that my turbo parts from Turbonetics were lost in the mail) how many engines have you rebuilt? Have you ever seen a Honda engine after running nitrous on it? Have you ever seen ANY engine after running nitrous on it? Have you even seen YOUR engine? (DV8, you need not respond to this series of questions...) Have you ever programmed FI? Have you... I'll stop there...

Look, I'm justt saying... from experience, once again, that when it comes to all of this stuff, for the most part I've been there done that, etc... etc... (albeit not with NOS on a Legend, so you all can keep your comments to yourselves...) I'm telling Kevon, from an investment standpoint, that it's not a good idea to run nitrous on his engine, before, or maybe even after, because Honda's run sleeved blocks, and when you put so much internal stress on them, they BREAK... simple as that...

I'm serious people... I know I'm still going to catch hell for this, but there's a reason that my car runs so well (for those of you that have seen it...) - because I take care of it... If you really want power, why don't you investigate solutions with companies like the one that Leon is trying to work with out of Atlanta, and also investigate the possibilities of:

HG's for higher compression
valvetrain work
porting and polishing
blockguards
custom pistons...

Alot of you have ingenuity, but also many people seem to take the "I can throw NOS on my car and it'll help it out, because I don't want to get billet cams ground, or I don't want to have my heads removed and my valvetrain upgraded..."


Oh, and Bread... notice that you took that quote from Holley's site... they are a vendor... they want to sell you something... they want YOUR money... The next time you tell someone about nitrous and what it can do for their Honda, picture some stupid kid standing next to his Civic and me sitting there trying to explain to him why his headgasket blew and why he has a cam clanging against a stuck valve... this is the typical experience that I've had with Honda's and nitrous, and while many of you would never, ever hurt your most loved possession (hopefully your Legend), please don't advise someone with a ton of miles on his/her car to add additional stress to it.

(ok, I'm prepared to catch hell from Ricdogg, DV8, and anyone else that uses Nitrous... so let it all out guys...)
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
I as many could argue with you till we die, fact remains at least My legend has shown it can take the NOS, stock block and topend. Ive replaced my Rod bearings because of some knocking, ended up being loose flexplate and torque converter bolts. however all the bearings had normal wear. All other internals look brand new, no metalic particals in the bottom of the oil pan, cross etching still very visable in all the cyllinders, compression still chimed in at 185 acros the board etc.

thats all after 37 10lbs bottles of nos on that type two engine.


Ill still recommend a 60 shot of nos for any legend anytime if mechanicaly sound.

My next post will have an !

Fin

~Hybrid
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
95Legend6Spd said:
how many engines have you rebuilt? Have you ever seen a Honda engine after running nitrous on it? Have you ever seen ANY engine after running nitrous on it? Have you even seen YOUR engine? (DV8, you need not respond to this series of questions...) Have you ever programmed FI? Have you... I'll stop there...
So your trying to say that I don't know what I'm doing because of a lack of experience, when you don't know anything about me? It's quite ignorant of you to assume that I dont' know anything. Maybe you should open your eyes and check the sig. I run my own shop and do all my own mods. I've built hondas, Chevys, and motorcycles. I put a stroked 381 into a Chevy Silverado with a fully progammable Haltech computer control system which links up to a laptop, swapped the tranny to a turbo 400 w/ driveworks overdrive. Pulled a few honda motors and re-built the 350 smallblock I have sitting in the corner. And yes I have seen and engine w/nitrous on it. Normal wear patterns was all there was to be seen. Dude was running the recommended NOS kit. So now that we've settled the credentials...I'll stop there...smart ass.

95Legend6Spd said:

(albeit not with NOS on a Legend, so you all can keep your comments to yourselves
*** are you talking about? If we kept our comments to ourselves there wouldn't be any discussion. It would just you shooting your mouth off about how smart you are. The car God. Don't ever suggest that we shouldn't have something to say.

95Legend6Spd said:

I'm serious people... I know I'm still going to catch hell for this, but there's a reason that my car runs so well (for those of you that have seen it...) - because I take care of it
The reason you know that you are going to catch hell is because even you realize that your comments are off base. And I don't think your car runs any better than most of the vehicles related to this forum. Like your the only guy that takes care of his car. There are exeptions, but for the most part it's not hard to keep a computer controlled engine running well. This is no amazing feat on your part.

95Legend6Spd said:

Alot of you have ingenuity, but also many people seem to take the "I can throw NOS on my car and it'll help it out, because I don't want to get billet cams ground, or I don't want to have my heads removed and my valvetrain upgraded..."
The point of NOS is that it's inexpensive and maintains driveability. The system can also be removed so that you can sell the vehicle in stock condition without any of the downfalls associated with selling a modified vehicle. It's not that people don't want to have these things done, it just doesn't make as much sense. When it comes to going fast, nobody cares how you get there. You can talk all the sh*t you want about how your car is all motor and how special you are because of it. But if I get to the finish line first , it doesn't really matter how I got it there. I like to put it like this, "Second place is the first loser".

95Legend6Spd said:

Oh, and Bread... notice that you took that quote from Holley's site... they are a vendor... they want to sell you something... they want YOUR money
Maybe you should look again. NOS is a Holley brand product. Financed and owned by Holley. And of course they want to sell you something. So does every other manufacturer out there. Duh. What point did you make there by stating the obvious marketing plan of every business in the world, to sell their product. LMAO over here. You've figured them out.

The point is that like any type of forced induction, nitrous oxide is a safe way to boost the performance of your motor when used as directed. But just like cranking the boost on a turbo, you can damage your motor if you use too much of it in a lean condition. Just be smart, follow the recommended guidlines, and you won't have a problem. If the NOS kit was damaging engines then obvously Holley wouldn't be selling it because they would be getting sued all the time. Think about it. That would be a bad business plan for a company, especially since now thanks to 95Legend6Spd we all know that companies like to sell their products and make money. Sh*t, now I'm being a smart-ass!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Jesus... Alright Bread, you bring up valid points, but at the same time I'm not going to play cut and paste like two keyboard warriors... I'm glad that you can do your own work, etc... etc... and I know that NOS is owned by Holley... but the fact that I was trying to point out is that your quoted something from a website (Holley), that is a sales/marketing ploy - this is biased info, designed to sell their product, not support YOUR point. I'm sure that you'll continue to support your ideas about nitrous and Hondas, and I'll stick to mine, but I suppose that we'll have to resolve this the way that Ricdogg and I did and agree upon both of us shutting up and staying out of each others way... it's worked so far for Ricdogg and I. But, nowhere did I mention about being a "smartass" besides the fact that in parenthesis I stated that I was going to be "assy", because my turbo accessories were lost in the mail, I had had a really hard weekend's work, and I was typing while in a bad mood...
 

·
:)
Joined
·
436 Posts
Dv8 said:
NOS

Authority!

When anyone here shoots as much NOS as ive shot(82 10lbs bottles) then ill kindly take my place out of this discussion.

NOS is a good alternative if you dont want all power all the time and the headache acociated with it. Also is great for users that dont have any other means for going fast cheaply, like us Legend owners.

If your Legend is mechanically sound at whatever Miles then shoot a 60 of NOS and keep that engine feeling Young.

As for the NOssLE system, its direct port without the work. Awesome idea but real $$.

1300 for a 6 cyl kit, id rather stick with my Dry kit and use the money for headers. It doesnt matter how efficient you make your car run with NOS, if your car cant exhale as much as it breathes or breathes as much as it exhales, then you wont see much change and you may cause yourself some engine fatige due to heat.

~Hybrid
I'm with you Christian, I'm actualy running a 70shot and have had no problems other that running out of nitrous to quick, maby I need two 10lb bottles. It's worth the money, I also have a Field fuel controler to help keep things rich in the fuel department.
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
It's all good

95Legend6Spd said:
Jesus... Alright Bread, you bring up valid points, but at the same time I'm not going to play cut and paste like two keyboard warriors... I'm glad that you can do your own work, etc... etc... and I know that NOS is owned by Holley... but the fact that I was trying to point out is that your quoted something from a website (Holley), that is a sales/marketing ploy - this is biased info, designed to sell their product, not support YOUR point. I'm sure that you'll continue to support your ideas about nitrous and Hondas, and I'll stick to mine, but I suppose that we'll have to resolve this the way that Ricdogg and I did and agree upon both of us shutting up and staying out of each others way... it's worked so far for Ricdogg and I. But, nowhere did I mention about being a "smartass" besides the fact that in parenthesis I stated that I was going to be "assy", because my turbo accessories were lost in the mail, I had had a really hard weekend's work, and I was typing while in a bad mood...
I'm not trying to be rude either, and I don't want to be. But NOS isn't the only one to state facts about nitrous, it was just the easiest website for me to find at the time. There are many more who support the use of nitrous. Holley gives a nice history on their website of it's beginnings in the automotive world as well, just as a side note.

And it was I that brought up the smartass comment because you asked if I had even seen my OWN engine. I think that comment was justified on my part because of that. You were trying to make me sound stupid.

But in the end we in fact do have to just disagree on one point. Kevin originally asked if Legends performed well with nitrous. The answer is yes. But then we got into a debate about how it would effect a stock engine. Thats where we have to disagree and Kevin will just have to make his own decision based on the info we've given him. But I guess that's why we have this forum. To express all the info we can so that people can make informed decisions. It's all good bro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Bread-

Well, after getting a good night's sleep, I decided to post today with a more clear head and alot less anger (initially from the selling of my car falling through, but also because of being stressed out in general)... but I wanted to make a point about how I feel about Nitrous use, and it seems that it's like a 2-way door, with myself on one side and the nitrous enthusiasts on the other, and we're playing "push"... it's really quite funny, but I did want to make an apology to you based on two things: 1) I judged you without even having met you, and 2) I've never run NOS on a fuel injected car, so I guess I just should have let you guys handle Kevon's question and not butted it so much about it. But I also wanted to make an apology to Kevon, because I turned his thread (a simple question...) into an argument based on my opinions about nitrous use on Hondas, and I let my anger from the situations happening in my life right now seep into my posts, thus leading to asanine comments to Bread. If you'd like to accept it, I'm offering a sincere "I'm sorry" to you, Bread, and also to Kevon.

I hope that you guys understand... I'm going to make a promise to myself to not "Post Angry" anymore... We're on here to meet fellow car lovers, and even though we may have disagreeing points, it's a place to discuss opinions and make points and issues known about how we feel without letting it go to our heads - keeping it light-hearted bantering I guess. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I ever have the pleasure of running into another member from this forum (like you West Coast guys, who I may see once, if ever), I don't want to say "Hey, that's the guy that I got into a fight with on the Forums", but rather shake your hand and say "Nice to meet you" instead.

Thanks for hopefully understanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Kevon-

the car is still mine, although technically it's on a "loan" to my friend Isaac (although he can't drive it, as I still have the keys) for his company TripleR Motorpsorts... this is good news, but I still want to sell the car for $14,000 (firm, please?!?) It'll just be featured in some ads whenever I get the time to make them, and a business card for the company (I'm beginning to work on the video also, so I have too much to do right now! Busy!)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top