Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am an avid hookah fan. It is a really relaxing, chilled out way to kick back. I was wondering if anybody else on here partakes?

For those that don't know, the hookah is a water-pipe that is used for smoking flavored tobacco. Unlike traditional smoking methods you don't directly burn the medium, so the smoke is much less harsh for those deep deep drags. You use a natural coal and draw the hot air past the tobacco.

I've never liked cigarettes...but I love getting the hookah out from time to time...smells great too.

Right now I'm working on a fully electric hookah. The biggest problem with hookah is temperature control...plus coals need to be 'ashed' regularly or you end up with them mixed with the tobacco and the smoke becomes harsh.

It seems like nobody has perfected this method yet, so I just ordered a spool of nichrome wire that I'm going to wind around a ceramic insulator, adjust with a rheostat and see what happens.

·
I want K-Sports..
1,427 Posts
another avid fan checking in

·
VIP Premium Member
493 Posts
I don't hookah. I find flavoured tobacco repulsive. Its akin to flavoured coffee beans. Coffee should be the flavour of coffee not some exotic tropical fruit. I feel the same way about tobacco. However, load the bowl with some quality herbals and I sing an entirely different tune.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
As for making an electric Hookah you might want to look at the vaporizor technology. It is a bit different than the radiant heat being drawn over the tobacco from the coal, but it uses an exact temperature to make as clean as possible smoke. Also the amount of ash is greatly reduced. It would not be dificult to replace the clay bowl with a connection to a vaporizor and you would be finished.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
the issue with vaporizers is that they aren't meant to heat the significantly larger volume of air. Also vaporizing doesn't create smoke, and the dense white smoke is what we're going for.
Hmmm....There are a few other things I know about. For one there is a bowl that has 4 flames built into it. You click a button and all 4 flames dart up ready to draw. Have you looked into the different vaporizors? They come with different size globes, and even a temperature control. You could probably play with the adjustments to get the dark smoke you want. The vaporizor will definately achieve the clean smoke you speak of.

What if you put a heating element in a piece of lava rock to replace the coal? With that you should have the electric heating element you need.

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
i frequent this hookah bar by the UT campus, this guy bought this house on the main strip, and turned it into a hookah bar. hes from Egypt and so all the lounge couches and decorations are from morocco/egypt. its really chill, they have like 20 types of flavors.

also, they use coals, and they just use a peice of foil and poke a bunch of tiny holes in it.

$13/bowl aint bad.

Blueberry and Fruit Passion are my favorite flavors

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
damn they charge $25 per bowl here in NYC....I tried it once...it was neat, but the taste got me nautious after the second hit (maybe I was puffing too hard)...I prefer other "herbs"

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
addicted.

prolly 4-5 times a week (1-3 hours every session)
lol ever since i got introduced to my friends.. mostly middle eastern and all.. kinda go me hooked.

yeeea its not the best for you... but seriously.. driving a legend in the city with no cabin air filter is bad enough.... :p

tips
1. never smoke after eating..
2. 25?!?! most you would want to pay is 10$ a shisha
3. and omg. dont smoke the herbal crap. Al Fakher is the way to gooooo!
4. and for god sakes. clean your shisha. its like an exhaust pipe in those hoses and pipes... i just finished cleaning mine.. waaaaaacky dirt in there :p

go and get Apple / Double Mint. and seriously you will fall in love with it

businessman07... yea you can put anything you want in it.. mix and match. instead of putting water in the base.. put milk. intense smoke. or wine and get a head rush . lol hahah

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I definitely hookah it up at least once or twice a week.

Anyone have a favorite brand/flavor?

I LOVE starbuzz brand, but its pricey. 20$ for 250G.....I normally settle for al fakhr brand; 10$ for the same amount.

The place i go to is pretty chill, its called Fairouz (named after a Lebanese Arabic singer) and its a lot of fun. They only charge 8.95/bowl so its pretty cheap entertainment. They have arabic music blazing and plasma TVs on all the walls with arab music videos.

I recently purchased my own (25$, pretty cheap) and I do it sometimes with friends and stuff. its definitely more of a social thing rather than a hard core-addiction i guess. There are, however, other hookahs (the afghan hookah) that aren't meant for flavored tobacco. IMHO, it tastes like ass and is too harsh.

Watermelon and sweet melon>everything else..

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
yeah. I've done it in my car before and its too hard to keep the coal burning (because you have to keep the windows down so you don't suffocate). Also turning and stuff is not easy or fun, lol.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.