Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below picture is part of the swinging door in my 1920's home. This hardware is attached to the floor. Then the door sits on top of a peg that broke off of this piece. I have been to a local Historic Architectural Parts Warehouse without luck. They knew what the part was, but did not know what it was called (and obviously did not have one).

Anyone know what it is called and/or maybe where I can find one?

Thanks.

ps- the ugly ass carpet is in our laundry room and the swinging door hides it :giggle: .

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Is that the safety latch or is it actually what the door sits on and allows it to swing?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the safety latch or is it actually what the door sits on and allows it to swing?
It is actually what the door sits on and allows it to swing. The "pin" coming out of the center of the dome area use to be longer. The pin went inside the bottom of the door and would touch the spring system when the door was opened. This would make the door shut itself. But now that the pin mostly broke, it is only long enough to keep the door in place, but no longer touches the springs in the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you could probably make one quite easily with parts from a hardware store. i mean yeah keepin the house OEM isn't as important as keeping your legend oem..

i'm pretty sure the door won't get a BHG if you go cheap aftermarket.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
you could probably make one quite easily with parts from a hardware store. i mean yeah keepin the house OEM isn't as important as keeping your legend oem..

:rofl:

Does the door look like this when it's on?

StuccoHouse: Swing Door

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

nice! lol. I can usually fix anything, but when the part should cost $10 or under, I have to try to buy one first. I just don't know what to call it when I call around to architectural salvage businesses. I rather not call and say "it's that whatchamacallit the the swinging door sits on," but I will if all else fails :giggle:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:rofl:

Does the door look like this when it's on?

StuccoHouse: Swing Door
That is exactly what it looks like! When I took the door off last week to see how it works, all those ball bearings fell out. Luckily all my years at the bike shop during high school and college paid off and it was no different than repacking a hub with loose bearings.

It looks like one guy on that sight called it a floor plate. The website they reference is for a Floor Hinge for a Kitchen Door. Except it is for the whole set (springs, decorative push plates, floor plates, etc) for $90. But I may know enough to call around now. Nice find. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Cool beans. That's what I do when I'm bored at work. Google. LOL! At least you know what it's called now and you can look around.

·
acura-legend.commie
2,498 Posts
nice! lol. I can usually fix anything, but when the part should cost $10 or under, I have to try to buy one first. I just don't know what to call it when I call around to architectural salvage businesses. I rather not call and say "it's that whatchamacallit the the swinging door sits on," but I will if all else fails :giggle:
i used to work at a computer repair store, and half of the time people didnt know a USB port from an Egg McMuffin. so if you called up somewhere and wasnt sure what it was called, but you are able to describe what it does, they can usually hook you up with the object, or at least a name. they wont think anything less of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts