Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a tuneup on my car tonight, consist of the following:

-Spark plugs, I ended up buying AC Delco Rapid Fire ($3/plug)
-Fuel Filter Replacement
-Power Steering Fluid Flush
-Clutch Bleeding
-PCV Valve

Thats it so far. I noticed a definite improvement...I mean NOTICABLE. Before my car would be hard to start, hesitation through lower RPM's, slower starts, bad quarter mile times...

Now...I am losing traction throughout 1st gear and it pulls harder than ever in 2nd.

Definitely get your tuneup done...it'll make a difference. I paid about $50 for everything and did the labor myself. Not hard at all.

Good night!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Legendary91L

Congrats on the improvements you are feeling on maintenance you performed. I would say that bleeding the clutch has to be the only difficult maintenance on your list - in the sense that you are under your vehicle with a 10mm wrench and a hose. Cramped area I tell you, thats for sure - cause the header pipe is right up in your grille.

KNLNGUS

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I also got my car tuned up about a month ago and did notice a big difference. The car rides smoother and starts better. Trust me, you'll love your car all over again after getting it tuned up.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
if u can tell me how to do a valve adjustment i would be great. my valve timing is off. Thanks i need a tune up soon but now i will just do it myself

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Legendary91L said:
I did a tuneup on my car tonight, consist of the following:

-Fuel Filter Replacement

was it hard to change out the fuel filter? i need to do it to mines badly

·
Registered
744 Posts
Changing out the fuel filter is less complicated than swapping out the plugs and definitely does not take more than 10 minutes. A quick study of the HELM for torque specs and I had the filter off and the new one on in no time at all.

KNLNGUS

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
Do it !!

I agree. I got my tune-up last month and I noticed a big different. Also, got my fuel filter changed at the same time. The fuel filter cost 45 bucks to change (dealer) DAMMIT. And the tune cost 191 buck (dealer) new NGK plugs. Whole cost 248 buck. Was worth, but wish I would have done the fuel filter myself, especially after reading up on how easy it was. Dam Dealer!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
248 duckets, YEOW! Thats hurts just hearing that. I'd definitely buy a HELM manual, torque wrench and have at it!

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
197 Posts
This week i did with the help of a friend my wayer-pump, timing belt and tune up. took us 5 hours for everything. I spent $320 for the parts: water pump, timing belt,ac belt, power sterling belt, alternator. Alsom got the NGk plugs, $11 a piece. I was about to intalled my new cross-drills but found out that I need a new front caliper. very surprising since all my calipers were replaced last year in january. i ordered them and willk finish the job tomorrow. by the way I did also an oil change."mobil 1". So far for water pump, timing belt, tune up, oil change, new brake system I paid: $325+$258+$34. Not bad at all

·
Registered
744 Posts
banel, I feel your joy - cause I've been there and done the water pump, timing and drive belts.

I do feel like a jackaz though - because when I did my brakes - actually I had removed three of the rotors and on my forth removal I forgot to remove the screws so when I put 2 bolts in the rotors to brake the seal - the screws that held the rotors in did not give and the center of the rotor cracked. On top of everything else, I had to be in philly in 6 hours, Cripe - I had to throw down $125 for a new rotor. DE~AM I was hot under the collar.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
197 Posts
I fell ur joy and pein. but trully glad about the service. Leon, be very careful. Before the tune up, my RPM was @4500 whenn doing 100mph. now in @4000. Next week I'll get my chip in and you'll only see a flash

·
Registered
744 Posts
For as many times as I have been on the beltway just cruising at 100mph with everyone else as we are in the HOV trying to make our way to the slug lots I can not remember what RPMs I'm at in my 95LS 6spd Coupe. I will report tomorrow though.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
197 Posts
By the way while testing my car after that, ther were a ford Ranger trying to race me. When we got to the connection between I20 and I85, I pass him at the curve doing 75 to 85. He was very much pissed and start pushing his car, getting in and out of HOV line, waving between car. This time, I decided to say back and wait until I see a clear shout before giving it to him, of course with the use of my Radar detector. It was the smartest decision I had made all day long. Before you know, 5.0 was in, unmarked cop, followed him for a while to let him pile up infraction, and finally stopped him. I fetl guilty and very sorry for him. Made it home safely. Poor guys

·
Registered
744 Posts
I bought my last one (OE) from Acura of Augusta when I placed a big order. This is one part that I do not insist that it be OE.

If you are not in a big rush and have other parts to order - get them from Acura of Augusta, order some oil filters, drain plug washers, a couple AC filters - to make it worth it.

If you are in dire straights and will only buy OE, then buy all means go to your dealer but this is one part that I do not insist upon OE.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hey Banel did u have to mess with the timing when u did your job?

·
Registered
398 Posts
just go to auto barn and buy the fuel filter ($15). you should also just save yourself the money and put it in yourself. it literally takes 20 minutes for someone who barely knows what they are doing (me, hehe). as long as the car is off, its as easy as taking out the filter (take out two bolts) plus taking off the hoses that you can see. put the new one in the same way you took the old one out.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
my question regarding the fuel filter is...isn't it under pressure, or rather isn't it pressurized?

·
Registered
744 Posts
The system is pressurized - in the sense that gas is pumped from the tank into the filter (as opposed to drawn) but we are not talking about gas shooting out or hearing a sound like opening a can of pepsi when you remove the bolts. The demand on the pump is just about equalized by the demand on the fuel rail.

KNLNGUS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts