Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because it seems like I am constantly having to replace tires and wheels or having tire problems. All of this in the past 6 months.

1 wheel was curbed really really badly (not my fault, my bro. borrowed the car and did it, he paid for the new one).

1 wheel I hit a pothole and bent it really really really badly. Had to be replaced along with the tire that got a "bubble" in the side wall.

The other 2, I hit another pothole in a construction zone and one tire got a "bubble" in the sidewall. And both of the wheels on the right side got bent. Only slightly, but still bent none-the-less.

I get the new tire, and got to put them on, and what do you know? One of my other tires is bald on the edge and needs to be replaced. It appears that my tires were "cupping".

So then I decide to get some new wheels and put them on just this week, and used 2 of my old, but still relatively new Pirellis and I got 2 new Dunlop 9000s. I just put them on 2 days ago. I wash and wax the car today and start to put tire dressing on and what do you know? One of my pirellis has a "bubble" in the sidewall. So now I have to replace yet ANOTHER tire!!!!

This is getting really old and really expensive. Does anyone else have this sort of luck or is it just me?
Oh, if anyone cares to see, there are pics of my car with my new wheels at:

http://members.aol.com/sushilicious/meet

Thanks for letting me rant and rave.

G

·
I curbed one of mine once and had to buy a new rim.

Also, I just lowered my car to find out that before I lowered it ;I already had camber problems and my rear tires are bald on the inside :(.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had a lot of those same problems with my 17's. What I found out was the cupping and the bending was due to my air pressure level. Find out what the max and min are for your type of tire and make sure you are right in the middle. I'm almost positive that will solve your problems. Either that or they have to lower the curbs and fix every pothole in Arkansas :) . Holla!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have 17's also, and I have had many troubles with them. First, my last job I had always had nails and screws in the parking lot. I would get a flat tire, and not notice it for days (Nitto 450 215/45 act like run flats!) and I would end up with a destroyed tire. Also, I let a friend borrow my car for 2 weeks, and the same thing happened to her, but I lost a rim on that one. Then, when another friend borrowed my car, he drove it after drinking too much and curb checked the rims on one side of my car!!! All in all, I have destroyed 2 rims and bent 1, lost 5 tires. Fortunately, I have lifetime on the Nitto's, but the rims were my cost. I do not know how people roll on 18's and 19's, I am sure they have more chances to damage the rims with such a low profile tire.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The first week I had my 18's on last year, I bent two of them just driving around town. I was almost to the point of selling them as they cost wayyy too much to be ruining. After that, and about 10k miles later I didnt have a problem. This was after many trips to DC, VA, NJ, NYC, etc. I can recall taking a real hard look at my air pressure and making sure it was to exact standards.
Like pymp said, that could possibly be the problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
acuralegend.com said:
The first week I had my 18's on last year, I bent two of them just driving around town. I was almost to the point of selling them as they cost wayyy too much to be ruining. After that, and about 10k miles later I didnt have a problem. This was after many trips to DC, VA, NJ, NYC, etc. I can recall taking a real hard look at my air pressure and making sure it was to exact standards.
Like pymp said, that could possibly be the problem.
That's funny :) , because DC.,VA,NJ and NYC were all the places I messed up my tires I-95 and 295 are a beyatch, ain't they?! Where I went wrong was, I had the pressure up to the maximum level, which allowed the cupping and I also got bubbles. Thats why I say to go in between the max and min levels. PEACE!:cool:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Man you guys, you all got to be careful, keep in mind you have low pro's on your cars you have to be more cautious when driving, and keep others from driving as much as possible they aren't used to driving with low pro's. Let someone take your car whose use to 70 series tires and just wait for them to come back with bends/bubbles and flats. Going through multiple sets of tires within a year is a bit much, maybe you should put the stockies back on in the winter times. I have 18's 40 series tires, I got too close to a curb once in the back passenger rear the wife curbed the front passenger wheel, neither is to bad, no bends no bubbles although I did hit some serious ones, I have some super strong wheels man to be crome, Katana Spazio's, man I'll stand behind these wheels 100% . I hit one of those deep pot holes that you can see the gravel at the bottom, I noticed it to late BAAAMMM!!!! I pulled over immediately ready to see that I need a new wheel and tire and to my suprise nothing no bend no bubble no cracks and that was about 5 good pot holes ago still rollin just need an alignment. Same set of wheels and tires for 10 months now.

Oh yeah this is a daily driver, and my wife drives it all day when she's at work.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know you have to be careful, and I was just ranting and raving. It just sucks that I've had to spend so much money on wheels and tires for the past 6 mths.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Anytime you hit a pothole hard enough to damage a rim or break a tire, you need an alignment. This will indicate if you have bent something else (A-arm, damper, tierod) out of spec.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
I haven't been as unlucky as you guys I guess. Only had 2 problems.

1. Busted tire after ran over screw. To be expected.

2. Scraped rim when parallel parking.

Overall, the rims have had no bends, dents, whatever after 2 years. I'm happy with them, considering they're cheap ass $150/rim.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
last year I bent one of my 17's, but I hit a pot hole going about 90mph. I was lucky that the air seal wasn't broken.

esti

·
Registered
139 Posts
I let a female friend of mine drive my car for the day and when it came back one wheel had a large bend and another had a slight bend. I replaced the bad one and have been living with the other one. Other than that I've only had two flats that were easily fixable in the 2.5 years and 45,000 miles I've had my car. Just be careful and you shouldn't have any problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts