Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Does anyone have a hood lock installed on their hood to prevent thieves from cutting alarm wires?? If so, was it easy to install, and which brand is it?

Thanks,

·
2,873 Posts
Had mine professionaly installed. I believe mines is Medeco one. Def. worth the investment as having an expensive ass alarm is useless if the thieves pop ur hood and cut ur power.

PS: Frebay are you the same Frebay that was MOTW on AA?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup i'm the frebay that was motw back in the days! are u on aa? how much did you get your hood lock installed for? was it installed at an alarm shop or body shop?

thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you install a hood pin you should be ok. I have a Clifford system and if someone tries to pop my hood my alarm blares and pages me. I also have a backup battery in the cabin that will allow my alarm to still be activated for a fairly short time. Long enough for me to get my Louisville out of the closet...

Legends have a stock hood pin for the original alarm which will sound if armed and someone tries to pop your hood... I think I had a different one installed, but someone told me you might be able to use the original. I don't see why not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Avarice...
How is your hood lock work? As how did they installed it and where's the lock located at? Do you have a pix of the hood lock? The reason why i'm asking is i'm looking into something like this for my car too.

G

·
I connected my aftermarket alarm to the existing hood and trunk pin...they seem to work fine! Eventhough some guy told me it wouldn't work, so he could make some money and install a new one!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hood pin is a good idea, but if u don't have an extra battery, a thief can just cut the battery wires really fast. With a hood lock, the alarm would be blaring and they can't do anything about it.

I contacted Medeco yesterday and they make hood locks for cars...

Here's the contact if you are interested...

ABC Auto at 1-800-323-6601 for the Maxi Guard hood lock

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hood lock

My car was broken into last week. They popped the hood and disconnected the battery which killed my alarm. After that they can and did pretty much whatever the wanted. Stole my new air intake!!!! I only had it for a few days. Where can I find a hood lock??? I am going to get a second battery in the future.

·
Registered
702 Posts
frebay said:
With a hood lock, the alarm would be blaring and they can't do anything about it.
I have to disagree. Once the thieves realize you have a hood lock, they will simply and quickly pry open your hood (damaging the hell out of it) and cut the wires. I have seen this happen a few times, so I don't think hood lock is good idea...this is what my car audio guy does..he leaves his doors unlocked, and just lets the alarm arm itself, no hood lock, anything, so if they want, they can simply open door and take what they want without having to cause any damage, and will get the money from his insurance, without having to risk any physical damage to his car, like busting window and damaging hood.

i don't think i'd ever do that, keep unlocked, but it's something to think about.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think if they wanted your car bad enough, they'll get it. a hood lock is just an added deterence that will keep away the amateur theives away. Just think about having 2 airhorns and a hood lock. I doubt anyone would stick around for that.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Avarice said:
Had mine professionaly installed. I believe mines is Medeco one. Def. worth the investment as having an expensive ass alarm is useless if the thieves pop ur hood and cut ur power.
how much is one of these joints?
do what i did and power the alarm with the second battery in the trunk. they can remove the battery in the front and won't have any effect on car or the alarm.
-j

·
Registered
476 Posts
Anyone know WHERE the stock pin wires lead?

Hi,

If someone is going to break into your car, they are just gonna bend the hell out of your hood to get to your battery... I would suggest getting a sensative alarm so that it will go OFF if someone is trying to pop your hood or pry it open.

You could also try hooking up a few small batteries so that if someone cuts your battery connect you will still have the alarm going, at least for a short while.

--
Help!

Im trying to connect a Clifford alarm to the stock hood pin, but I can't find where the wires come through the firewall into the cabin... Anyone know offhand?

I believe it is just a yellow/red wire and a ground, and I can trace it down into a larger wire bundle which appears to head toward the firewall. Little help?

·
2,873 Posts
If punkasses are gonna try and steal my car they will have to work for it. No point installing any kind of alarm if you are not going to have a hoodlock. If they really wanted your car it be gone. But the hoodluck is to prevent those joyriders or ppl looking to take stuff from your car. Sure they can try and bend my hood but the alarm will be blaring.

Jae: Hoodlock can be installed at any alarm shop. The previous owner of my Legend had it done at Northern Audio. Should'nt be no more then $150 installed. It put a lock right under your dash by the hood button thingy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hood Lock

I agree. They will have to work for my car. If I were to leave my alarm on and all my doors unlocked, I would have someone breaking in every day. Some punk that sees the door unlocked is gonna open it up and grab whatever they can or do whatever they want. At least with the hood lock, they can't kill the blaring siren. They are gonna get nervous and leave.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
"It put a lock right under your dash by the hood button thingy."

So your hood lock is actually inside the car? The hoodlock I was talking about is outside the car directly under the hood connecting it to the car. Do you have pictures?

·
2,873 Posts
Sorry no picture, basically its a lock that attaches to the hood opener underneath your dash. Theres a red led light that goes on when you have it locked and off when its not. With it on theres no way you can open the hood unless you drill through the hood or something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.