Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of installing the dinan chip stage II. Has any one installed one? Is it really worth it? And is it easy to install and does it damage anything in hte long run? Thanks............Latin......

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There is a group buy going on for them, or rather there was one going on. You would need to contact Legendary about it.

Anyways, it is dyno proven to add about 7-8 whp and about the same torque. It is just a simple ECU swap, so it is not hard to install. There would seem to be no adverse effects, except to your wallet as the chip is about 4 bills. Plus, you have to send in your old chip before they send you your new chip, so you end up without your car for awhile.

If the group buy is still going on and you are able to get in, it will be less than 3 bills for the chip.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Opinions?

I've been thinking about these things for a while. Anybody notice a change in gas-mileage. How about dyno proven hp/torque gains that you've done yourself?

I also have plans to add nitrous, and I'm under the impression that these two mods shouldn't be mixed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Re: Opinions?

Bread said:
I've been thinking about these things for a while. Anybody notice a change in gas-mileage. How about dyno proven hp/torque gains that you've done yourself?

I also have plans to add nitrous, and I'm under the impression that these two mods shouldn't be mixed. Thoughts?
Since you are advancing the timing with the chip then nitrous should not be used in conjunction with the chip. However, DV8 is using both at the same time and he says he has had no ill experiences.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Hold on Here

So they are charging $400 for a chip that only advances the timing? I can have a chip burned based on dyno performance right here in Seattle for much less than that. Are you guys sure that's all it does?

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
straight from Legend.org

"By optimizing ignition advance and fuel delivery, a Dinan Performance Chip lets your engine safely deliver maximum power. Dinan chips are finely tuned for optimum fuel economy and minimum emissions at light loads; chip tuning at higher loads progressively emphasizes power and torque gains. At wide-open throttle, our chips are dynamometer-tuned for maximum power. You'll get all the power you need whenever you want it, without emissions or fuel economy compromises." http://www.legend.org/performance/index.html

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
I would still rather get my own custom made unit

This is also directly from that page.............

"). However, people who really know this stuff a little better than I do, tell me that in terms of Honda's Dinan isn't that great at all. Simply because he never invested time into hands on experiments with Honda engines. In fact, if you have mods, you may actually loose power. What some real chips for Legend - you'll have to travel the country of rising sun"

And, this is the opinion that I tend to lean towards. Especially since every mod is different, and I want to have a chip tuned around my nitrous system................

"it's more like "one-size-fit-all." The best way is after all the mods are done, have a chip custom-made specifically for your car"

This is a good example, so why not..............

"An analogy (I know Mike Cruz will like it): Think of Dinan as Ralph Lauren and his chips are the Chaps suits. Even though they're very fine suits designed by a famous designer, they won't fit each and everyone of you the way you want it to, mainly because each of you is unique in your own way. So, if you want exact fit, you are better off with a tailor-made suit."

All quotes by Tamgiao Nguyen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts