Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how an AEM bypass valve actually works??

·
Registered
460 Posts
i've seen some of the members have this bypass thing. I don't think it's necessary unless you plan to drive a legend like a jeep wrangler. Which i doubt!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Reno5658 said:
i've seen some of the members have this bypass thing. I don't think it's necessary unless you plan to drive a legend like a jeep wrangler. Which i doubt!
ANYTIME someone has a cold air intake, regardless if u drive it "like a jeep wrangler", u need a bypass valve, because if u get water in ur motor, ur screwed. it's just better to be safe...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
here's my understanding of it based on the demo i saw at a show.
the valve has plastic flaps covered by a sponge(filter). now, when the filter gets wet or is under water, the pressure of the intake will be less inside the tube so the flaps open up to let air in from the engine bay. if the filter is not wet, the flaps will remain closed. these flaps will basically keep the water from goin up the pipe and into u'r engine.
now from experience, you would need to be completely under water for about 30 seconds for the water to make it's way up to the throttle body. for the first 3 monthi had my CAI, i did not have a bypass valve. i know i ran over a few big puddles which is why i got the valve. when i took apart the piping, the pipes were clean with no signs of water even trying to get up to the throttlebody.
so in my opinion, it's good to have but not really necessary if you don't plan on staying under water for a long time.
-j

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's an article on how it negates the benefits of a CAI by creating air turbulence within that collapsable region resulting in HP loss. Personally I wouldn't let my G2 go into knee deep water or jet-spray a running motor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SpoonLegend said:

ANYTIME someone has a cold air intake, regardless if u drive it "like a jeep wrangler", u need a bypass valve, because if u get water in ur motor, ur screwed. it's just better to be safe...
it's funny how you think so highly of the bypass valave, yet have no clue *** it actually is

·
Registered
376 Posts
everyone has said those words, "oh, i'll never get water in there or up to my throttle body." well if it wasnt for peeps like that blowing up there motors, AEM would have never thought of making this. I'm not saying your gonna blow your motor without it, i'm just saying i've seen many unsuspecting customers come up to me with blown motors, from CAI's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.