Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from the HG repair and the check engine light is coming on. Does anyone know what codes 43, and 44 mean?

My mechanic looked them up and he said it was something like left fuel bank or right fuel bank?

Anyone?????
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the explanation from the 1991 Acura service manual:
Code 43: Most likely a problem in the left Oxygen sensor circuit or a problem in the left fuel supply system.
Code 44: Most likely a problem in the right Oxygen sensor circuit or a problem in the right fuel supply system.

How may miles does your car have? You might want to consider new O2 sensors. Do not buy them from a dealer or even aftermarket. They will be at least $150.00. Go to http://www.oxygensensors.com. I got mine for $55.00 a piece and the were OEM type sensors.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx. I was worried about the price of these stupid things. I hope that is the problem It is weird that the car goes in and no check engine light, and when it comes out it could be bad 02 sensors.... I might have to order them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought of another thing you may want to check before spending any money on new parts.
When you say you just got the car back from HG repair, do you mean head gasket? It may be the case that the O2 sensors were disconnected during the process. The braces for the connectors on the O2 sensors have to be removed from the cylinder head before the heads are removed. If the battery was not disconnected, and the engine was test fired with the sensors disconnected, an error code would be generated. You might want to try reseting the codes by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. See if that clears the codes. It does seem strange that bouth of the sensors would go at the same time. If this doesn't work let me know. There is some other information in the service manual regarding these two codes.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it was in for a head gasket repair..... and I do remember reading that you have to take the battery off to get to the left cylinder head. I am going to phone my mechanic and read to him what you told me. The car has 219 000km on it, and the o2 sensors have not been replaced. I also noticed in my haynes manual that it said fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure, and vaccum lines. The only thing that I could think of would be vaccum lines and o2 sensors, but apparently the vaccum lines were checked... Any more ideas..]\

Thank you so much.... I need to get to the bottom of this because the car is up for sale...:)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Dwight said:
This is the explanation from the 1991 Acura service manual:
Code 43: Most likely a problem in the left Oxygen sensor circuit or a problem in the left fuel supply system.
Code 44: Most likely a problem in the right Oxygen sensor circuit or a problem in the right fuel supply system.

How may miles does your car have? You might want to consider new O2 sensors. Do not buy them from a dealer or even aftermarket. They will be at least $150.00. Go to http://www.oxygensensors.com. I got mine for $55.00 a piece and the were OEM type sensors.
You might want to try:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you guys make of this?

When I drive the car form a cold start, it is fine as long as I dont go over 3000 rpm.. When I hit 3000 rpm, it sets the light off... When hit about 82 km/h it sets the light off. What do you make of that? At least it is consistent... I guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like it might be the O2 sensors. I have a 93 Probe GT that did the same thing. You could clear the codes and it would be fine for a short period, but then if you drove it hard, the check engine light would come on, and the codes indicated that it was the O2 sensors.
In you case, it still could be the fuel supply system as indicated in codes 43 and 44. I have the service manual for this year Acura, and it shows some testing proceedures for the O2 sensors as well as the fuel supply system. These proceedures are somewhat involved, and require at the very least, a digital Ohm meter. I can send you copies of these pages, but I am leaving town for the weekend, in about two hours. I would not be able to get you the information until Monday the 25th.
You could just go ahead and replace the O2 sensors, but I hate to see people spend money on parts they don't need, if there is a way to nail down the problem before hand.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic said that he checked out the fuel pressure and pressure regulator, and they checked out fine. The only other thing I could think of would be a vaccum leak (which is what my haynes manual says) somewhere, but he said he checked those as well....Thanx again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts