Acura-legend.com banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I had the same issue, it was the EFI relay. Honda did a horrible thing and put a relay next to the battery and radiator...guess what kills electrical parts more than anything...HEAT!
Now if we can just get a law passed to make all relay covers clear I think it would make life easier on the world!
Mine turned out to be dry solder bonds on the main relay, applied some new solder and problem fixed!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have several extra ignition switches if any one needs one. I have them on Ebay right now for $28 free shipping. I can get damn near anything for a type one so let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1992 Acura Legend cranks/won't start

After driving approx 5 miles I noticed steam coming from under the hood. Drove the car home and let it cool over night and the next morning cranked the car to find the problem. Found a busted heater hose and replaced it. When attempting to crank the car again it would turn over rapidly but not attempt to start. Read this thread and checked for loose vacuum lines, fuses etc as suggested but found nothing wrong. This is the first time in the 14 years I have owned the car that it would not start. What could I have done to cause this problem? I am a novice mechanic (very novice) so I had the car towed to a repair shop. The owner/mechanic said there was no spark to the plugs nor current to the fuel pump but he cannot find the problem. He has had the car over a week and still can't diagnose the problem. It seems odd to me that an experienced mechanic cannot find the problem in this length of time. What do you guys think? Also, in the event I have to have the car towed back to my house is there a reset switch that needs to be reset in the event the car gets too hot? I know it's most likely a dumb question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing to add:

With the ignition switch in the on position both the Check Engine MIL and the D4 (on Auto models) should come on for 3-5 seconds then go out. If the Check Engine MIL Stays on and the D4 light does not come on at all, the main relay is faulty.
This is what has been happening to my old 93 LS ( I sold it yesterday with a BHG and apparently a faulty relay ) but by turning the key from Accessory 1 to On repeatedly the D4 light will eventually light up and presto the car fires right up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few times the car would not turn off. I had to make the block and then it turned off. (I guess she wasn't ready to go home). This issue hasn't happen in two months. Can't figure this one out. I pulled every fuse etc. and it just didn't want to quit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a main relay problem. The D4 light wasn't coming on and there was no click from the relay, of course the car would turn but not fire. I put in a brand new relay and she fires up instantly every time and runs perfectly. One problem, D4 light never came back on. Any ideas? Runs and shifts perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Need Some HELP, PLEASE!
okay, so i bought a 91 legend with a BHG and yesterday I finished the job and went to start the car up and it started right away. It was fine for about 10 seconds then it started to have a fluctuating idle like it did before repairing the HG. I am not sure if the car was doing this before because of the bad HG or other reason that still occurs, but anyways i went to rev the engine a little and it stalled and wouldnt start again. I tried to start it again today and it started right up and had the same problems as yesterday and stalled.
What should i check.
could vac hoses be hooked up wrong cause this?
cracked block?
bad sensors?
I am only 16 but I am very confident i put everything back together correctly with labels.
I have all my money invested and need to get this car running.
any advise or suggestions is very appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this site and I've been having a problem with my 94 legend ls, where it is cranking, turning over but not starting. I recently had it in the shop and had the fuel pump and main relay changed. I got the car back today and after getting home, I turned it off and tried starting it but the same problem again--cranking, turning over but no start. I would really appreciate any help I been immobile for about 1 week and its starting to get pricey. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It will always help to check compression. I had 60 psi in my whole drivers side head and thought it was a bhg, once I took the heads off found out it was a warped block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thinking of just taking my Legend to Acura and giving them a piece of paper with all the issues written down...pay them for a diagnostics and just have them fix it all. I'm not real handy with DIY and ive never soldered a thing in my life lol. I wonder how much it would run me to have Acura dealership mech fix the main relay and speed sensor.....hmmm. probably an arm and a leg but i'd surely mess it up if i did it myself

·
Registered
98 Posts
awesome, thanks! (;

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I showed up to my friends house and parked in his driveway, his driveway is at a slope. So when I tried to turn on the car, it wouldnt even crank for more than a second.. So we wait 20 minutes, thinking it was my new main relay gone bad. so his mom has to take her car out of the garage, so we push my car into the street. 5 minutes later i decide to try turnin the car again, and next thing I know, it turns on. Im guessing it might have somethin to do with the slope the car was in, the gas tank, and the fact that I only had less than 1/4 tank of gas. but im not so sure what it was. anyone have any ideas of what it couldve been?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car cranks then a little bit more then it starts then it runs and makes a loud knock... Guessing thrown rod ? :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Acura ran great until I changed the battery. Now just turns over. Are there any security issues like chrysler used to have where you had to turn the key in the driver door to reset it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mike, I really appreciate you sharing your car expertise through this posting. Your troubleshooting was very helpful and easy to follow.

My '93 cranked but won't turn overt. I tried to eliminate various listed possible culprit but couldn't.

To make long story short (went through a lot of major surgeries ) my mechanic called and told me that the car was finally running.
"Did you have to replace the master relay," I asked.
"No, it just started out of no reason," he said.
"I was hoping it was the MR that was bad."

Although I was so excited to have the car back, for it had been in the shop since mid-May, my mind was not at ease for not knowing the causes this random starting problem. My mechanic handed me the replacement MR and told to hold on to it for a few few days, just in case I need it. So, I left the shop and left the cover underneath the steering wheel in the trunk.

For many days the car fire right up perfectly, so I put the cover back on since there was no need to replace the MR any more. After that, on that same day, I drove to the park. A few hour later, I tried and tried, but the won't turn over. After many stops and starts, I decided to take off that cover...maybe, I thought, it might help.
Sure enough, she fired right up. Oh that was such a sweet sound to my ears.:)

So what happened? I was still puzzle at the problem.

When I brought the car from the shop, I noticed the sound that indicates the key is still in the ignition, although the key was removed, and the car couldn't be locked without the key. The door-lock problem comes and goes. The ignition switch is now a suspect. After poking around the area around the ignition switch, I stumbled on a loose connection that goes into the switch, on the left side just below the place where the key goes into the ignition. When I have time, I'll take a closer look at it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I found problem part; it's the black, square connector (next to that gold circle as shown in the picture in the link below)
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f8/fs-1991-1993-ignition-switch-assembly-w-key-141028/

[7P-connector? ] that is plugged in to the ignition switch, just below the area where you start the car. It has 2 colored wires which soldered into a tiny brown square piece. That black connector has a tiny push button (looks like a black broken toothpick), which, when pushed in, makes a certain sound goes off...I think you-left-the-door-open alarm switch. I'm not 100% certain that connector is the problem. By unplugging and plugging it helped the car to turn over when cranked...that's weird.

I'm planning to replace the I/S. Does anyone know the part number for 1993 Legend L's ignition switch? All I can see are lock cylinder and steering lock.

http://www.atfinley.com/service/index.php?x=1438&y=2080&z=2690&r=

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was also having this problem, car sounded like it was going to start but wouldn't. It's been doing it at such random times for the past few years- just got to be a frequent problem this summer, until finally, it refused to start at all. It really sounded like the fuel pump, and I had several people suggest that as well. A mechanic told me he couldn't diagnose it unless it was doing the problem, which was random enough I couldn't take the car in.
I had to join this site so I can say THANK YOU to MikeD- your instructions and diagnosis were RIGHT ON, easy to follow- I had the main relay out in 20 minutes, back in in ten, car's doing great! This, after several days of testing wiring, changing fuel pump (twice), forum searching, getting rides, taking buses... Thank you!!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts