Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for both the one on the hood and i'm gonna try to do a mesh grille for the grille on the lower lip also...i'm using the instructions from legend tuner? what kind of mesh is the best (and easiest) to work with, and does anybody have any suggestions on how to do the mesh grille for the bottom lip?

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Did mine yesterday for the hood grill...came out nice!

I attempted the lower grill a few weeks back, but I needed more material, plus it was cold! I will do it later...only thing is that it has a few akward angles, so you will need a longer piece of gutter guard.

Get it from Home Depot

ASk for it by name

·
Registered
93 Posts
Everyone is saying how easy this mod is but i can't seem to get the mesh over the place holder for the emblem them back unber the chrome moulding. Am i supposed to take out the black part and leave it out? am i supposed to shave down the place where the emblem goes? Am i making this harder than it is?

·
Registered
505 Posts
heres mines

i just put the gutter guard grille on top of the original black grille (the part that have the emblem on) and cut the gutter guard around the orginal grille....leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of extra to fold down into the black grille.....what i do is i use a hammer and gently hammer the gutter guard so it fit onto the black grille....i tried using my hands but the grille cuts my finger so i used a hammer instead....when u put the chrome part back on...it would be a lil hard but just press it together really hard...but careful not to break it....put the screw back and voila...hope that helps

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea...lower grille is the rare thing to see on a legend, most ppl don't do it. i'm hoping one of you guys can show some pics and give some instructions on how to do it. it looks nice, especially when complimented with a hood mesh grille (like that blue R33 coupe on acuralegends.com) post pics if you got em:)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
92 sedan POS said:
heres mines

BUTTA.......it really stands out, mines is like worn out or something

·
Registered
655 Posts
where do u guys get the mesh

I've been trying to get that style mesh, like honeycomb or diamond shape. Tried Home Depot, lowes, wal and K-mart, 2 feed shops, and a flower/garden shop.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
It is next to the cutters in Home Depot. They are called Gutter Guard. You can buy a huge roll or a shot hinged section. I bought the short hinged section for $2. It should be the same at all Home Depots.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
397 Posts
I too tried to do the lower grill mesh. It was a pain in the a$$. I ended up not doing it because I got so frustrated, but I feel better knowing my Legendary Bro. also had the same pain. I will probably attempt it again soon. ;)

·
Webmaster LEGENDtuner.com
1,052 Posts
A couple of years ago tried to do my lower grille just as i had done the hood. After several attempts i ended up with nothing but sore bleeding hands. I put in a few different grilles but none came out quite like I had envisioned. I finally just threw in the towel. Perhaps if I wasn't so anal about the way it looked I would have been ok. That is why i never put up a lower grille mesh upgrade tutorial on LEGENDtuner.

So that others may learn from my past efforts I found the best result came from when i first constructed a "frame" for the grille using heavy gauge wire onto which i attached the mesh material. My problem was that because of the curvatures of the lower grille opening on my '94 (vertical and horizontal curves) I could never get the wire mesh to have the appearance of being "straight". My attempts always appeared slightly crooked left to right.

I hope someone out there has better luck. If you are attempting such an upgrade take some photos of the process and send them to me and I'll put them up on LEGENDtuner!

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Koji_H said:
A couple of years ago tried to do my lower grille just as i had done the hood. After several attempts i ended up with nothing but sore bleeding hands. I put in a few different grilles but none came out quite like I had envisioned. I finally just threw in the towel. Perhaps if I wasn't so anal about the way it looked I would have been ok. That is why i never put up a lower grille mesh upgrade tutorial on LEGENDtuner.

So that others may learn from my past efforts I found the best result came from when i first constructed a "frame" for the grille using heavy gauge wire onto which i attached the mesh material. My problem was that because of the curvatures of the lower grille opening on my '94 (vertical and horizontal curves) I could never get the wire mesh to have the appearance of being "straight". My attempts always appeared slightly crooked left to right.

I hope someone out there has better luck. If you are attempting such an upgrade take some photos of the process and send them to me and I'll put them up on LEGENDtuner!
Will do Koji!

I feel your pain..that was my problem, too...I am very anal about what mods I do and that was not cooperating...it wouldn't bend just right...but I will try later on...when its not so cold laying on the garage floor (lol) and I have some gloves. Pympdaddi...I will let you all know when I get it done.

Thanks Koji...
BTW, want to do a link swap?

·
Registered
248 Posts
i did my lower mesh a few months back , basically took the bumper off, and then cut gutter mesh to small strips to fit the parts between theverticle fins in the opening, and press/stappled them in place, here are some pics

b

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That looks good bing0, but I wonder how to get the mesh over the stock lower grill so that the stock lower grill doesn't come through. I think I will look into this in the next few weeks and see if it is worth the trouble.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My Grill is all silver but not a net!!!!!

on my 93L sedan i bought 6ft silver rod's from a part store and i took about 30 to 60 minutes measuring and cutting the rod and i finally put it on mytop of my original black grill. ..... sorry....no pic
~1~
Mandidy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts