Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who installed aftermarket alarms, how did you hook up your door locks and trunk lock/unlock?
Did you simply use one wire for unlock and another one for lock or is the relay required?

Also, where do you tap in to those?

Thanks

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I simply used a wire for unlock and another for lock. The alrm typicailly aready has relays onboard for lock/unlock, so you don;t need them, As for the trunk release though, you do need a relay on many alarms. Some alarms come with an onboard relay as well though. It just depends on the level and brand alarm you have. The installation manual well tell you if a relay is needed or if it already has one.

G

·
It is one wire for lock and another for unlock...if you look under the dash, there is a little brown/red box with a harness coming out of it (all the way to the right)...lock=green/white wire and unlock=green/red wire. As for the trunk it is also just one wire, but a relay is needed to pop it...wire for this is white/black 14ga. in the door kick panel in the big bunch of wires.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GoldenCoupe said:
It is one wire for lock and another for unlock...if you look under the dash, there is a little brown/red box with a harness coming out of it (all the way to the right)...lock=green/white wire and unlock=green/red wire. As for the trunk it is also just one wire, but a relay is needed to pop it...wire for this is white/black 14ga. in the door kick panel in the big bunch of wires.
Thanks Chris and GoldednCoupe. This helps a lot. One question then. What is a door kick panel? I see it referenced everywhere but i don't know what it is.

Actually, i have 2nd question too. I tried to locate a wire which is 12V when all the doors are closed and Ground when at least one of the doors is open. I ended up using one of the courtesy lights connectors for that but I don't think it is working well. Do you know of another place where I can hook it up?

G

·
I know our existing door trigger works well with aftermarket alarms...well, with mine anyway. It is a 2 wire plug that is plugged into the fuse box behind the floor kick panel (the part that you open to reveal the fuse box). Infact this plug is the only gray one in color and has two wires...the one you need is black/white. By the way in the above post I said Door kick panel when I meant to say FLOOR kick panel...behind this panel you will find the large bunch of wires that has the trunk popping wire.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Kick pannel is where the fuse panel is. The area where many people accidently kick :)

Actually, that is the correct wire. You want a wire that triggers when any door is open. In the old days, you might have had to add a pin swithch to each door. Today, the courtesy light will go on when any door is open, so that is usually used. You need to have the switch in the center position though. Not in the on or off possition.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again guys.
any of you use the existing wires that go to the factory security control unit? i plan on using those for trunk and hood pin triggers. It should save some install time :)

G

·
Good idea on using the hood/trunk pin...this will save you time and money! Which alarm system are you adding by the way? Autostart? GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GoldenCoupe said:
Good idea on using the hood/trunk pin...this will save you time and money! Which alarm system are you adding by the way? Autostart? GOOD LUCK!!
I'm using Crimestopper.
So far, pieces that I put together work good. Got remote start to work however I need to hookup hood pin for it and brake pedal sensor. I already tried to find break pedal switch wire but it is deep in the car that I think I might need to use some other place where it is exposed.

Thanks

G

·
Follow these instructions...
Recline the backrest of the drivers seat all the way down...move the seat as far back as possible. Now lie down face up on the chair and slide yourself down underneath the dash (have the knee bolster removed). Look up and follow your brake pedal...there should be a small wire harness (I think 4 or 5 wires) that hooks right into the brake pedal, I belive it is like a green colored harness (like pale green or something). The green/white wire coming out of here is your brake wire...it shows a pos. when the brakes are applied. I will take a pic for you tomorrow if you don't understand. I know what it's like being lost when your installing something...this should be the best wire for the brakes.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GoldenCoupe said:
Follow these instructions...
Recline the backrest of the drivers seat all the way down...move the seat as far back as possible. Now lie down face up on the chair and slide yourself down underneath the dash (have the knee bolster removed). Look up and follow your brake pedal...there should be a small wire harness (I think 4 or 5 wires) that hooks right into the brake pedal, I belive it is like a green colored harness (like pale green or something). The green/white wire coming out of here is your brake wire...it shows a pos. when the brakes are applied. I will take a pic for you tomorrow if you don't understand. I know what it's like being lost when your installing something...this should be the best wire for the brakes.
That's exactly what I did searching for that wire, but the harness is so tightly stuck up there so that there is no access to the wires. I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks a bunch for your help

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
shahavchik said:

That's exactly what I did searching for that wire, but the harness is so tightly stuck up there so that there is no access to the wires. I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks a bunch for your help
Yes, I know what you mean. I was having trouble tapping into that switch wire myself, and since I have my brain located a more secure place within the car, I needed to extend the wire anyway, so I just ran a new wired and taped into the brake light right at the rear tailight wires. The place I taped is actually behind the trunk liner, but it made it easier to simply run a new wire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, guys, I just found this thread, which is really useful.

I have installed a Bulldog security remote starter, which also has doors/trunk lock/unock option alongs with a bunch of other things.

In this case, I had to trace the wires to lock/unlock doors, and after burning a fuze, I had to cut the wire and tie them in sequence with aftermarket unit. It seems that this unit keeps two wires normally closed, so the factory lock/unlock signal goes rught through. But, when a remote is used, it breaks that line and inserts it's own 12V pulse to lock/unlock doors.

The trunk is simple, I believe I only had to tap into that wht/blk wire, and the unit supplies 12V pulse, which is equivalent to pressing the button on driver's door.

I am still looking for a way to enable/disable the factory alarm. After pocking around for coule of everning, no luck yet. So, for now, I close all the doors, then lock the car with this remote starter unit. To the security system it looks like someone is locking the car from inside, and it is not arming the alarm. So, really, I have no alarm this way. Otherwise, if it is enabled, opening doors, trunk, or remote-starting the engine sets off a nice loud beeping, which is not something I need.

If any of you guys have figured the security side ot this, let me know. Also, if I can help anyone with answers, I'd be glad to do so.

Peace,
pc

G

·
To verify the trunk wire...it is a white/black wire with two red rings...it is in the large harness that "L's" along the left side of the fuse box...pic...

Here is the brake wire...yes I can verify that it is green/white...

As for the tach sensor wire...if you remove the knee bolster and look up underneath the gauges...you will see one green harness connecter that plugs in from underneath (really close to the A/C vent on the drivers side)...I didn't take a pic becuase I didn't feel like taking my cover off, the wire is solid blue (it may have a silver ring but I don't quite remember). As for the domelight, I connected my floor ligths to turn on when the alarm is disarmed. Unfortunately they will only turn off when the doors are relocked...if the doors are unlocked they turn on bright...when doors are locked they work as they always do...dimming, on with headlights to set brightness, etc. I don't quite remember where this wire is...but if you look up where the floor light is underneath the dash there is a two pin connecter...one white/black wire and a white/blue wire I belive. The white/black should be the floor lights. Don't worry about the vacuum switch...it's solely for use on non tachometer cars. I hope this helps you finally finish your project!! Let me know if you need more help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.