Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 86 4Door, when the drivers door is open, the chime dings regardless of whether there is a key in the ignition, is this normal operation of the chime? It is very aggravating and I am hoping it is something wrong. It wakes my son up every time when we get home and it is time to unload said car.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
No, it just means the switch in the ignition slot is sticking. Try to turn your key in the ignition to postition two and out again to try to unstick the switch.

On an interesting note, this happens on all four of my (family's) cars. :eek:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Squirt some "powdered graphite" into the ignition switch, work it in and see if that makes it work better.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey i use to get that charm noise sound too but now i don't. i think when i leave my lights on while the car is off the charm goes on. can someone tell me how to get it back is it the fuse? i played with my horn or alarm switch under the top right corner of the hood.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
pipes_0 said:
hey i use to get that charm noise sound too but now i don't. i think when i leave my lights on while the car is off the charm goes on. can someone tell me how to get it back is it the fuse? i played with my horn or alarm switch under the top right corner of the hood.
Check your door sensor. It's a little sliding lever in the doorjamb.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same problem here....
I get the key-in-ignition reminder sound no matter whether the key is in the ignition or not. The irony is that I didn't have this problem until one day I sprayed WD40 in the ignition hoping to make it a bit softer (I regreat doing that so much). WD40 worked fine for a day or two, and then then alarm problem started. I believe the problem is that WD40 eventually dries up and thin layer of lub that it leaves inside the lock cylinder is not enough to avoid stickiness. I then tried using grease and silicone lub, but same result: worked fine a couple of days later the problem started again. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

1989 Acura Legend Coupe L - 5 Speed.

·
What you crave.
662 Posts
I used to get the chime while doing anything. I eventually just broke the sensor on the door, haven't heard a chime since.

·
Registered
102 Posts
lube

hey guys,
I lube my locks with Triflow, a locksmith recommended it (has Teflon so still effective after the carrier evaporates), and it works great. I have not tried it in the ignition though.
It does leave a black residue on the key for the first few days so be careful with light clothing, it is the dirt etc. that is 'washed' out.

Good luck,
J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts