Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed/compared the 4.5 inch open-air speaker with a 3 inch in the plastic enclosures? I found the enclosures in a junkyard hunt, and I'm wondering if the sound quality is actually better with the enclosure, even though it's a smaller speaker. Has anyone swapped and compared them?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
I went with 6.5 speakers on the door. Let us know how it sounds with smaller speaker.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K. It'll be a while. Other things on my hands right now.

There are 4 wires going into each enclosure, so there may be a small amplifier inside or something, IDK. Hopefully someone will enlighten me before I get into it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
K. It'll be a while. Other things on my hands right now.

There are 4 wires going into each enclosure, so there may be a small amplifier inside or something, IDK. Hopefully someone will enlighten me before I get into it.
IIRC, the plastic enclosures were part of the BOSE system that indeed does have an amp with each speaker.

·
-------------------------
1,983 Posts
The amp is inside the enclosure? Gawd, I need a manual with that BOSE system in it, so I know which wires need accessory power, and which need the speaker signal wires.
Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but I did take some pics of the speaker wires and determined which were the signal wires and which were the power wires http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f2/rear-speaker-wire-color-codes-110966/. I went to the junkyard and took out the front plastic speaker adapters from an L w/o Bose and 6.5" speakers drop right in. Used the existing wiring and have a pretty decent sounding system (nothing special, just wanted sound lol). The rears are 6"x9" but I bought some adapters on eBay to make 6.5" fit in the 6x9 hole so I have 6.5" all around (part of a cheap Black Friday stereo deal).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
^ I feel ya, I can't wait til my capacitors arrive so I can fix the rest of the BOSE amps in my G1.

Don't let size fool you those little 3" BOSE door speakers have a little bass to them. Not as much as the 6x9s in the back but decent midranges.

EDIT: also the BOSE speakers are 2ohm iirc, so you'd be better off using aftermarket woofers and using the existing non-bose wires in the bose enclosures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.